Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins Take Life One Mile At A Time! (Read 33 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." WinkIt can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

Tori - congrats on the job!

Yesterday I was feeling sore from the massage and just had a general overall feeling of tiredness. My butt was dragging and I didn't know how I would get thru the nights training class and drive home. Well I did my 2.25 mile run and became instantly revitalized! It amazes me how a run can bring me from fatigued to revitalized!

I do not run aimlessly.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Jen16226

Good morning!

I figured since I have been so busy at work, it would be best to get on here early to say hi to everyone.

With being all mad about the race on Saturday, I totally forgot a huge milestone for me until yesterday.......Saturday was 1 year ago that I quit smoking.  It's certainly been hard at times, but I've done it.

DH is on his way home for a couple of days.  He's been in California and I realized the other day when I received my running warehouse shipment, he was staying in the same town!!!  So last night when I was talking about my love of my new Zensah sleeves, he went and bought me 2 more pairs!!!!!  Happy Valentine's Day to me!!! Big grin

I already got my strength training in for the day on the total gym and need to carve out time to get 3 miles in tonight.

Gustav- Good job on the run last night.  Sometimes we just need to push through something and then realize it was easier than we thought it would be.

Everyone have a great morning!

Goals for 2013:

Run 10K Race- ACCOMPLISHED!!!!

Run HM

RACES:

2-9 Kittanning Rotary Club 5K 44:38 on ice UGH

3-9 New Port Richey, Fl Pasco Challenge 10K- 1:22:55

5-12 Komen Pittsburgh Race for the Cure 5K

7-6 Ford City Heritage Days 5K

8-4 Pittsburgh Rock n Roll 1/2 Marathon

9-29 Richard S.Caliguri City of Pittsburgh Great Race 5K

hog4life

Tori, congrats on getting the job!

Gustav, I'm kind of feeling that tiredness too.

I need to run tonight and tomorrow to get in my last couple workouts before Sunday's race.

Dad on the run.

Tori - Big congratulations on the new job! That's awesome news!!

Mitch - Was we going to eat Sunday after new at Chuy's? I'm not sure what all was still planned?

AFM - No rain today and I'm on days so going to get some miles in this evening when DW gets home. I am going to try and start getting out there more, I am going to push for a sub 28, which would be a PB for me, when I run the rumpshaker next month.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

hog4life

Jimmy, it sounds like you have a plate full when you're on 2nd shift, no wonder you have a hard time running. If you want to go to Chuy's, I'm game. The Jim and Nicks BBQ at the expo will be okay too, plus it would be cheaper. Are you scheduled to work on Sunday?

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Tori - Congrats on the job!

Gustav - Massage is great, but it can dehydrate you.  That could be part of it.  I'm glad you got revitalized though.

Jen - Congrats on 1 year smoke free, and the new gear.  That's awesome!

Mitch - Getting your last two workouts in would be nice, but don't forget the importance of sleep this week.

Jimmy - It's good to see that you're still setting goals.  Like I said before, I think things will get easier when we have more daylight and better weather.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Dad on the run.

Hog4Life - We can just eat Jim n Nicks if they have tickets left by the time I get off work Friday and get down there to purchase them.

Awood - Yes goals are good. I think too registering for this race is going to help me out in terms of getting out there and running. Its easy to get lazy when you don't have anything to look forward too.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Congrats Jen!

Had my 6am spin class this morning. Today was "strength day" so lots of simulated hills!

My second pair of new shoes arrived last night. Because I lost my mind lol. Who needs 2 pairs of the same running shoe in 2 different colors?! But it was 20% off so I jumped on it...

Have a great day!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Kristin - If you get a good deal on a good pair of running shoes, you have to jump on it.  Otherwise, you'll get stuck paying full price when you absolutely need a good pair.

AFM - I'm running 6 tonight.  Last night's run went really well, but my Nike+ died 8 miles in.  That was my fault.  I'm contemplating a super secret goal.  I've discussed it with Damaris, but if I go through with it I probably won't say anything until after I've actually done it.  Basically, don't be surprised if my RR toward the end of March isn't your typical RR.

The good news is that I weighed 229 this morning.  This is the first morning that I've weighed in the 220's and it wasn't AFTER a long run.  The way I look at it, beginning my running at 300+ was good speed work, like hills or something.  The lighter I get, the easier it is to go fast.  I actually have training runs scheduled that are farther than a HM, at a pace faster than my first HM.  I was hoping to be down to 225 by Chi Town.  That shouldn't be a problem at this rate.  By my November marathon, I want to be 200.  Good stuff!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Outside run today?  Hopefully our trail will be clear.  Supposed to be 40F.

Have a great hump day.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Kick hill butt run last night!  Ran my university hill route on the university campus, usually a 3.3 mile route but I was feeling really great - the 71 degree temp, blue skies, sunshine and low dewpoint/humidity helped with that - and I ended up with 4.7 miles and added 2 more hills along the way too.  4.7 miles and 5 hills of varying size/incline.  Today will most likely be a weight training circuit day for me.  Today is also my "Friday".  I have tomorrow and Friday off as Gail and I celebrate our anniversary tomorrow - 28 years already! - and her birthday on Friday.  We don't have any really big plans, just going to spend time together, going to the gym tomorrow morning, maybe some lunch and a movie after, that, we are both volunteers on Friday for a local race's packet pickup (and each get a coupon card for a free entry into a future race, nice), and so forth.  Nothing really big, just a lot of quality time together.   And sleeping in together  on the mornings of what is normally workdays for both of us will be nice too, of course.  Big grin   Gail, btw, is loving her birthday/anniversary YMCA membership gift.  She has already done 5 different types of classes since joining.  Yesterday she got up at 5:30 a.m. and went to a 6:15 "step aerobics" class.  She came back home and whined "Oh my gawd...I am feeling the burn! This lady (the instructor) really knows her stuff and put us through the ringer...we even used light dumbbell weights at one point!"  She was complaining in a 'good way' though, I could tell she was really happy about it all.  She says she sometimes has a difficult time deciding which class to go to because there is such a variety, since the membership allows her to use ANY of the YMCAs in San Antonio (there are 12 locations in our city).   And the nice thing is I get "benefits"  too Joking from this gift, as she is really getting into great shape.  She was already in pretty darn good shape to begin with (she can powerwalk a 5K in 40 - 42 minutes) but now she is really 'firming' everything up.  I think her next present  - for me, lol - may have to be a bikini... Big grin

Thanks for kicking things off, Gustav! Congrats on your run!  Yeah, funny how that happens sometimes, you can be so unmotivated to go run that day but you get out there anyway and sometimes those turn into some of your best runs ever.

Congrats on your smoke-free year, Jen!  Nice surprise gift from your husband, both him coming home and the sleeves.  Happy V-Day in advance!

Good luck with the race upcoming, Mitch.  Sorry about your tiredness.   Here is what you do when you are run down:  get the license number!  Wink  Hope you feel 'energized' very soon!

Happy running, Jimmy, and good luck with that sub-28!

Kristin, you can NEVER have enough running shoes.  I have the ASICS Nimbus - SIX pairs - all in different colors.  Cuz,  I have to have shoes to match my "Cancer" running shirts when I do races, of course.  Joking

Good luck with the miles today, Awood!  Surprise with Damaris?  If you're FE-ing with her, you BETTER bring back some Great Legs photos!

40 degrees in Chicago at this time of year is a heat wave, isn't it Jerry?  Happy running today and may the trail be clear for you and the wind at your back.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I did 7 this morning (Oh, I hate morning running), in 75F and 100% humidity (75 dewpoint).  We jumped three months, WTF!  We will be breaking records today with a high of 86F so I am going to stay on the AC for as long as I can.

Gotta go.  Court awaits.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Bin Running

8M with 8x100. My base is not so solid so gonna take 75% of the scheduled training plan for this week.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

From the Internet.

Morning pens! Feeling utterly beat up today, I can't tell if I'm just crazy tired or fighting off a cold (or both). Was going to attempt an easy 2 miles at the indoor track but I honestly might just go home and take a nap after getting my essential work done here.. the track will still be there tomorrow if I'm not sick.