Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins Take Life One Mile At A Time! (Read 33 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Lauren sounds like bailing on the run may have been for

the best... good job listening to your body!

scotty glad you understand the need to own the same shoe in multiple colors! Good thing this shoe only comes in 3 colors and the third doesn't match any of my running clothes or else I could see myself going further off the deep end!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Zelanie

Good morning!  Had a nice RD yesterday.  Hit the LRS to buy my first handheld and a variety of gels.  I haven't taken any water or food yet on my runs (sometimes I can have a sensitive stomach), but the time has come to try it out, I think.  Then I made some avocado pesto linguini for dinner and we watched some Twin Peaks.

Today I have 9 scheduled but also have to pick up DD, so the only way to make that work is to run at the track.  If I'm not done when she is, she can hang out and watch me run in a few more circles.  The running club will be there, but they'll be doing an actual track workout, so I'll just be running near them rather than with them again.  At least that means there will be stuff happening other than me running 36 laps.

Gustav- Love that feeling of being tired and then getting a good run in!

Jen16226- Congrats on a year smoke-free!  Way to go!

Mitch- Hope you have a couple of good, easy runs!

Jimmy- Sounds like maybe having a goal to train for is what you need!  Good luck to you!

Awood- Super-secret goal?  I'm intrigued!  Any hints?

kristin- Always jump on good shoe deals!

Jerry- Wishing you good running weather later!

Scotty- You and Gail are such an adorable couple!  Enjoy your days off!

D- Yikes!  I would be happy with that temp with the digits reversed!

Bin- Good luck coming back.  When I had to take some URDs in January when I came back, I ran my scheduled mileage but without the speedwork.  Then I added the speedwork back the following week.  Seemed to work for my sample size of one.

Lauren- It's in rest and recovery that we actually make those fitness gains!  Take the sleep if you need it!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I got here to work late, because I had to stop and get a V-day card for DH.  And I'll be leaving early because of Ash Wednesday services ... luckily nobody really notices my comings and goings!  I'm going to have to hustle my hips to get everything done today, though.  Woo-hoo!!

Gustav -- I totally run aimlessly, when I run.  Be sure to drink lots of water after your massage too!!

Jen -- woo-hoo for quitting smoking, and what an awesome DH!!

hog -- now is NOT the time for you to feel tired!!

jblack -- enjoy your run tonight!!

awood -- good morning!!

kristin -- laughing at your shoe hoarding!!

Jerryb -- hope you get outside today!!

scottydog -- woo-hoo for your hill run!!  Sounds like maybe you should go WITH Gail to these classes!!  Then your Bare Buns pics won't be scary!

Docket -- sorry you missed spring!  (and winter, of course).  

Bin -- probably wise, to build back up a little

Lauren -- some days rest is required

Zelanie -- avocado pesto linguini???  I want to come over for dinner!!  It wouldn't help me if I had the recipe, because DH would never eat it.  But it sounds awesome!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning colony! Smile

Soooooo, I may have run the last 70 miles or so with a broken leg (yes, I'm being melodramatic lol).  Remember that pipe I stepped in about a week and a half ago?  Well, I'm still getting pain and swelling, so I went to the doctor today, and from the initial look at the xrays she thinks there's a fracture on both the tibia and fibula.  They sent it off to a radioligist for confirmation.  So no running until I hear back, yay.  Sad

Hope everyone is having a great day!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Zelanie

Dave, hoping you get better news with a second opinion!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Dave OH NOOOO Sad that is terrible news!!!

Scotty just got a chance to read through your whole post....happy anniversary! And Valentine's day, and happy birthday to Gail...big week for you guys! Glad she is loving the Y!

awood I am intrigued by the atypical RR and super secret goal! Any hints? I forget what race you have in March

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks Zel and Kristin.  She said there's a chance it could be an old stress fracture from running, so I'm hoping for that.

-Dave

My running blog

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Tori: Congrats to you and WELL DONE!!

Zel: I am looking forward to your HM. I know you will do well because of your great attitude. Believe me, the last mile or two are all mental.

Bin: It's ok if you have to dial it down a bit.

JBJ: It is tough when life gets in the way of running, but we adjust. You will be fine. How is the paleo diet?

D2: Maybe it's good news bad news? How long will you be off?

As for me, seven last night and mabe six in the Newtons tonight. The jury is still out on them. I may need a half size smaller.

Also, Running Warehouse is giving an additional 25% off the clearance items until Saturday.

Singer who runs a smidge

D2, sorry to hear that!!  I think there should be sternly worded messages to the city for the pipe problem!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Mmmmm...beer

Jack, from what I'm reading 6-8 weeks for a fracture to heal, which would take me out of my upcoming half. Sad

HM, I've already called them to tell them about the open pipe (which they still haven't covered, checked today).  I may have to take more aggressive action now.

-Dave

My running blog

Singer who runs a smidge

Itemized bill with doctor's fees, radiologist, x-ray, and HM registration!!!  That's just irresponsible of them, and a lawsuit waiting to happen.

tracilynn

Hey penguins

So today is 3 weeks that I have not run since getting shin splints.  Just when I was starting to get shin splints (left leg)  I was also having a small niggling pain on the outside top part of my left foot.  I figured the break from running would also take care of whatever little foot pain that was so I continued with my shin splint exercises. The foot pain worsened.  Went to the ortho last week and its my PERONEAL TENDON.  WTF.  Only I could injure myself doing threapy for ANOTHER injury (splints)Angry

so Im in an "ankle lacer" until the 20th. I cant do ANY exercises that make my ankle flex, which is pretty much all the shin splint exercises.  So Im doing pretty much nothing except some of my myrtl hip exercises for ITB.  Cant walk either, not for exercise.  If my tendon hasnt improved enough then I get an MRI to rule out small tear  and will be in an air cast for 3 weeks. I think its getting better though.   But damn Im so effin annoyed right now.  Ugh.  My 1 year runiversary is coming up and Im wondering if I will even be running then.   Good news is my shin splints feel like they are healed.   But dammit.

Dave, thats crazy about your leg.  Was it painful while you were running?

Rach, so sorry to hear about your dad.

tori, congrats abut your dream job!  Wonderful news!

Mitch, your HM is comingmup soon. excited for you.

Hello to everyone else! Sounds like everyones running is going pretty welL

Xxxooo

~~~~~~~

Traci

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

oh no traci....yikes!!! that just stinks Sad

Singer who runs a smidge

Ok, it's getting scary in the igloo.  We have the weirdest injuries ever!!  Shocked

SheCan

G'Morning Penguins!

Gustav- It really is nice when a run give you pep like that.  Thank goodness you are able to run again!

Jen-  as a former smoker myself, I know that the first smokeless year is a HUGE deal.  Congratulations for breaking such a difficult habit!

Mitch and Jimmy are having a FE this weekend?  How super nice!   I'm gonna send my spirit to join y'all.

kristin, I have lots of identical pairs of running shoes.  I have a ton of shoes in rotation.  Plus getting a new pair is so exciting!

Awood- You're doing fantastic.  Losing 30 lbs by Nov. is a very realistic goal for a determined person like you.

Scotty- hehe@ Gails present really being for you!  She is a hottie.  Happy anniversary to you both.  Y'all have been married as long as me & my DH.

Docket- dang @ those temperatures!  That's crazy.  Hope you are feeling better today.

bin- sounds like a great workout!

Lauren- ugh@ days like that.  Maybe if you take a short nap you'll end up feeling better.

zelanie-- Just thinking about 36 laps makes me exhausted!  Thank goodness there'll be other things going on to keep you from going bonkers.  I could sooooo go for some avocado pesto linguini for dinner.  Sounds absolutely scrumptious.

Go HopesMom, go!   You are always so busy.

Dtothe2nd-- Omygosh, I so hope she's wrong.  Sad  I'm sorry.   I'm glad you at least went to the doctor, but still, that so sucks.  Hopefully you'll find out what going on for sure soon.

Tracilynn-- it's good to see you, but I'm sorry things are not going well.  Such frustrating injuries.  In the long run, you should be better off, but geez, can't believe you're having to do all this down time.

I did 6 super slow miles today, and was surprised to see more snow left on the ground from yesterday then I'd thought.  It was nice to run without any sort of goal.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson