Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins Take Life One Mile At A Time! (Read 33 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Dave - I hope that's not the case.  That would be terrible news.  I'm still looking forward to seeing what you can do in a HM or marathon with the crazy paces you've been keeping.

Sorry...no hints.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

D2: That really stinks. Best of luck to you.

She Can: There is no such thing as slow!!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Morning!  I did 7 this morning (Oh, I hate morning running), in 75F and 100% humidity (75 dewpoint).  We jumped three months, WTF!  We will be breaking records today with a high of 86F so I am going to stay on the AC for as long as I can.

Gotta go.  Court awaits.

AC on at 86?  Gail and I don't even turn our AC on until the temp hits the 90s.  Can you tell we like it really warm in our house? Big grin

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Hit the LRS to buy my first handheld

Umm, your first hand-held what, Zelanie? Confused

Yeah, Kristin, lol, I am becoming quite the running fashion-statement.

HsM, hope your hips happily hustle! And trying saying that 3 times fast. Wink  Matter of fact, I am a member of the Y also and will probably take some of their classes.

Sorry to hear about the leg, Dave, that sucks.  Amazing that you could run 70 miles on it like that.   Sounds like you might have grounds for a personal injury lawsuit.  Might get you enough for a few pairs of free shoes.  Wink

Dang, Traci, that sucks too.  Hope you heal quickly!  Meanwhile...if it's your left foot...and Dave's right foot...maybe you two could get together for supportive exercise, maybe hold on to each other, tie your inner legs together,  and do a little walking since you have two good legs between you! Nothing like a good 3-legged walk, right?   Wink

Congrats on the 7, Jack, and good luck with the Newtons.

Way to go on your 6, SheCan.  You've been married 28 years?  Wow, you look a lot younger in your photos...I was guessing you were in your early 30s...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Zelanie

Sorry, Scotty, let me rephrase. Last night, I bought my first strap-on. Water bottle, that is. Wink

Traci- hang in there!

Jack-you

are too kind! It's the mental aspect of my HM that I think will be toughest. Hope you do end up loving the shoes. Having trouble with the formatting on my phone so hope this doesn't come out too weird.

SheCan

Sorry, Scotty, let me rephrase. Last night, I bought my first strap-on. Water bottle, that is. Wink

Haha@ zelanie!

Jack, I bet I could out-slow you!

Way to go on your 6, SheCan.  You've been married 28 years?  Wow, you look a lot younger in your photos...I was guessing you were in your early 30s...

Scotty, thank you, sweetie!  You're my new best friend.  Anyway I like to tell people I got married really young.  I was 19, and will be 47 in a few weeks.  I do look young---- from a distance.  So now, I don't do closeups in photos.  That's my secret to staying young!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Hope you heal fast Traci and Dave, take care of yourselves.

We did get outside for a really good 5 mile run on the streets by our house.  Trails still icy, but it was nice to run in a straight line without having to squeeze by the walkers.

hog4life

Traci, boo! I really hope you heal up quickly.

Dave, that is aweful. Hope it's not broke.

Cherie, send all the spirits you can. Jimmy and I have actually met twice. First time was close to his home when I drive down to do a 5k in honor of someone that passed away from colon cancer, and he also had Crohn's. The second time was when he came up towards my place to run a 5k that is put on by someone  that survived breast cancer. His wife, daughter and the rest of his family also were there. Jimmy's dad used to work up here close to me, so they know their way around. If we get to meet up this weekend, it will be our third meeting.

From the Internet.

Ahhh. 2+ hour nap and tiger balm massage of my sore legs = I feel good again. Minty and tingly and refreshed!

GinnyinPA

Tori - congratulations!

D2 and Tracy - I hope you both heal quickly.

Quick update - we're on the road, heading south.  We were at Pr. William Forest Park last night, where we did a short walk both yesterday and this morning. We had the campground to ourselves.  I ran 4 miles this a.m. - half on trail, half on the road.  Then the rains came and it rained all afternoon, so we're in a motel with very iffy internet tonight.  Tomorrow - Yorktown and Jamestown, if the rains stop.

Tori Runs in PA

Pittsburgh RN!

THANK YOU EVERYONE!! YOU GUYS ROCK!!

D2--that STINKS.

Have a great night everybody!!

Do or do not, there is no try. 

My first races EVER! 

Saxonburg Distance Series 5KRaces: 

#1: 7-14-2012 Cross Country Crusade 5K: 42:50 

#2: 8-11-2012 Roebling's Run 5K: 38:54

#3: 9-8-2012 Festival of the Arts 5K: 36:37

Dad on the run.

Jack - I would love to say the Paleo is going great but I really don't do it 100%. I have cut out a lot of wasted carbs like breads, flours and what-not and I don't do dairy anymore and my fruit / vegetable intake has increased exponentially. But I still find myself enjoying a quick stop to McDonalds or mexican with the family. I feel 10 times better than I have felt in a while and I've noticed a huge decrease in heartburn and flatulence plus I'm still losing weight unless I have a night like last Saturday where we enjoyed jambalaya (think that is how its spelled) and a crap load of beer Smile. The past few weeks I've been bouncing around 202-206 and right now I'm ok with that.

AFM - I did it!!! It was tough but I did it!!! I ran with 0 electronic devices, no phone, no watch, no music just me, a stroller and a dog attached to each side of me Smile Had a blast! didn't feel like I needed to push myself or constantly look to make sure I wen't X distance or X pace. I ran what I know to be a 5k and then went back to find my wife and we walked about another mile back home. Very enjoyable evening.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Glad to hear about the weight loss....and especially that you found fun in running tonight!! Awesome to hear Smile glad to see you back on here

Jack - I would love to say the Paleo is going great but I really don't do it 100%. I have cut out a lot of wasted carbs like breads, flours and what-not and I don't do dairy anymore and my fruit / vegetable intake has increased exponentially. But I still find myself enjoying a quick stop to McDonalds or mexican with the family. I feel 10 times better than I have felt in a while and I've noticed a huge decrease in heartburn and flatulence plus I'm still losing weight unless I have a night like last Saturday where we enjoyed jambalaya (think that is how its spelled) and a crap load of beer Smile. The past few weeks I've been bouncing around 202-206 and right now I'm ok with that.

AFM - I did it!!! It was tough but I did it!!! I ran with 0 electronic devices, no phone, no watch, no music just me, a stroller and a dog attached to each side of me Smile Had a blast! didn't feel like I needed to push myself or constantly look to make sure I wen't X distance or X pace. I ran what I know to be a 5k and then went back to find my wife and we walked about another mile back home. Very enjoyable evening.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Mmmmm...beer

Thanks again for the positive thoughts everyone!!  I'll let you know as soon as I hear something, hopefully tomorrow.  I'm trying not to get down about it, just have to see what happens.  But if I end up having to defer my half, then so be it, healing properly and being able to run for the rest of my life are more important than one race.  There will always be more races. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

That's the attitude!

Thanks again for the positive thoughts everyone!!  I'll let you know as soon as I hear something, hopefully tomorrow.  I'm trying not to get down about it, just have to see what happens.  But if I end up having to defer my half, then so be it, healing properly and being able to run for the rest of my life are more important than one race.  There will always be more races. Smile

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to