Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins are warming up the igloo!! (Read 10 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Love love love our weather now!!  It's sunny, highs in the 80's, this is the weather for me!  I'm so glad to have the sun out, I can't even express it.  Clearly I was not built for a rain forest life.  Anyway, no quartet practice tonight because one of our group is cruising the Greek isles, so I get to go home and hang with my hubby!!  How about y'all?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

First time I created a FB event for our running group this morning.  It was me and DW Smile   3.0 sticky walk/run miles.  I love the heat too, DW hates it.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Enjoy the weather, Hopesmom!

Jerry, at least you have your own small "group" with dw. Smile

Ginny, I hope you had a great run and barbecue dinner last night.

I ran 5 miles mostly downhill this morning.  I don't remember if I mentioned to you all that dh has been helping me out with this - once a week he drives me about 3 1/2 miles up to the top of a hill. So I get to run downhill back to our house without the pain of running the uphill!  I add in a couple of fairly flat loops to get to a 5 mile run.  This is training for my upcoming downhill half.  I've been practicing my downhill form, trying to NOT lean back and put on the breaks, and increasing my turnover.  It has been helpful; it feels awkward but is getting less so, so now I think I'll feel confident on race day.  I've also been doing squats at the gym 2-3 times a week to improve my quad strength.

GinnyinPA

I'm not a big one for heat, especially with humidity on top of it.  We're getting up to 86, feels like 92.  I don't know when I'm going to get a run in, or where. After the past cool damp month, my body is not going to be happy running in this.

From the Internet.

Hi pens!

Supposed to hit 90 here today! D: I finally have AC in my car again, so warm weather is much more enjoyable now, lol.

Ran 7 miles a little while ago - heat adaptation is going well, I was worried that it'd suck but I got it done no problem. Yesterday and today were a dress rehearsal for marathon training; did 15 minutes of pickups yesterday, and the 7 today was at (er, a little faster than) the pace coach wants me to aim for on medium-long runs. All went well, it felt good even in the heat!