Beginners and Beyond

Happy Peguin Valentine's Day Weekend (Read 22 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy 30th wedding anniversary TODAY  to my wife, Gail!   Who'da thunk I could ever find someone to have the patience to put up with me for 30 years of marriage?!     Happy Birthday TOMORROW to Gail!

Gail and I are getting ready to go do our "Be My Valentine 5K"...then back home, get the house-sitter settled and we are off to a pretty little coastal South Texas town on the Gulf, Rockport, for the weekend.    Race photos and report to be posted when we get back.  Everyone have a great weekend!    Don't do what I wouldn't do!  That gives you a pretty wide field of options!  

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Happy Valentine's Day!  I have 5 tonight.  Woke up with a migraine, oy.  Expo for tomorrow's race in a few.

Damaris

tracilynn

Scotty! Happy anniversary to you and Gail!  30 years is amazing. Have a fun race and enjoy your getaway 

damaris, do you get the "after effects" of a migraine?  Like when you bend over and your head throbs? Or Light sensitive?That always happened to me after a migraine.

I had my first PT appt yesterday for shin splints. Her diagnosis was 1. VeryTight & knotted up muscles in my calves caused by : weak hips mostly right side and  Ankle instability Due to "cavus ankles". They are inward rotated ankle bones. I was born with them. Mine are not bad but bad enough to cause me issues. (Some people need surgery to fix)  hopefully I can overcome mine with extra exercises so  I have ankle exercises to do daily and she wants me to do more clamshells for my hips.

Next week I have 3 appts and she is going to work on trigger points and knots in my calves. Sounds painful.

But I can keep running as long as I can stand the pain. The pain is pretty bad right now though and I need 10 miles tomorrow, hope I can get through it. Resting today

~~~~~~~

Traci

GinnyinPA

Scotty - Happy anniversary.  I hope the race went well and that you enjoy your holiday on the beach.

Damaris - sorry about the migraine.  Which race are you running tomorrow?

Traci - sounds like you have a plan of action.  Good that you can still run.  I hope the pain subsides for today's run.

AFM:  I'm supposed to do eight today. If it warms up, as forecast, I'm hoping to do it outside.  They say 36 degrees with snow showers/squalls.

Zelanie

Scotty- Happy anniversary!  30 years is fantastic.  Enjoy your weekend away and your race.  BTW, I am going to do something you wouldn't do today.  I am probably going to run on a treadmill. Smile

D- Have fun at the expo!  Hope the headache clears.

Traci- Sounds like it was helpful information, since it explains why you keep battling this.  Hopefully those ankle exercises are the key.

Ginny- Hope it warms up or at least stays dry for you.

I have 7-10 planned, plus I need to get the dogs out.  Not sure if I'll combine the two yet.  My stomach has been acting up a lot lately on runs, so being inside might be the safer choice.

PADRunner

Morning 5 done this morning. It warmed up quick out there I think it went from 40-60 in an hour.

Happy Anniversary Scotty.

Hiya Pens!

Where did this week go? Been so busy. Just finished a windy 5. Getting ready to pack up for a 4 day quilt retreat.

Would love to sit and visit but have to put it in high gear and get out the door. Will poke my lead back in later.

Happy Valentine's Day. Don't forget to kiss your Sweethearts!

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

From the Internet.

Hi pens! 11 miles on the treadmill with 2 10-12 minute tempo-ish interval type things in the second half. Riddle me this, why am I so much slower on the treadmill than outside?

GinnyinPA

Kathleen - enjoy your quilting weekend.  Learning, teaching or just doing with friends?

Z - sorry about the stomach issues.  Is it only when you take Gus or all the time?

PAD - hard to dress for that kind of temperature swing.

Lauren - good job on the big TM miles, though I suppose you don't really have much choice right now.  I also find the TM harder and end up running slower than outdoors.  Part of it is I do a longer and slower warm-up on the TM and then gradually build my speed.  Part of it has to do with the fact that your pace is so continuous.  Could also be a calibration issue.  Our TM is pretty old, so I wouldn't be surprised if it was no longer on pace.

I decided to take advantage of the warmer weather today and do my long run a day early.  Tomorrow is going to be really really cold and I really didn't want to do 17 or 18 on the TM, so I went for a run through the country past cows, chickens, goats, turkeys, horses, several loose dogs and a couple of stray cats and one other runner.  I overdressed, as usual, since it was supposed to be windier than it actually was. I had icicles hanging off my hair from frozen sweat.  It felt like a hard run, and by the end my leg really hurt, but I was able to complete 18 miles.  We're skipping dinner out tonight, but I figure I earned takeout pizza and a beer.

From the Internet.

Traci - my ankles are like that too! My feet point straight ahead on a good day, slightly in when I walk if I'm particularly stiff or sore.

tracilynn

Traci - my ankles are like that too! My feet point straight ahead on a good day, slightly in when I walk if I'm particularly stiff or sore.

My toes actually point out a little and my ankles dip in and down a little yet I run on the outer edges of my feet because I wear out the outer edges of my shoes. I'm all kinds of messed up

I just did my exercises.

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

Hi pens! 11 miles on the treadmill with 2 10-12 minute tempo-ish interval type things in the second half. Riddle me this, why am I so much slower on the treadmill than outside?

You're slower because you don't like the TM and you run it with dread. It's mental?

~~~~~~~

Traci

tracilynn

Nice run Ginny! Holy cow. That's a very long run. Good job!

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

I had icicles hanging off my hair from frozen sweat.