Beginners and Beyond

Dilemma with Forerunner 410 and Garmin/connect (Read 49 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I got a dilemma ya'll, last night I ran my 8 miles and afterwards I looked on my garmin history and it said 1:19:40, but when I uploaded it to Garmin connect the damn thing changed to 1:25:52 with an average pace of 10:44....... my slowest mile lats night was 10:42 while everything else was close to 10 min except for 3.,

Mile 1 - 10:10

Mile 2 - 9:56

Mile 3 - 10:19

Mile 4 - 10:29

Mile 5 - 10:42

Mile 6 - 10:22

Mile 7 - 9:08

Mile 8 - 8:35

How the hell does that add up to 1:25:52 and a 10:44 min/mile pace? I remember stopping it immediately after my feet stopped, and resetting/saving the workout and as I started walking I lit it up and read it to log it on my Cardio Trainer (phone app) so I don't understand why my watch says 1:19:40 but connect says 1:25:52  Now the site was preparing to be down for maintenance just after or as I synced my garmin to garmin/connect, would that have anything to do with this? Really strange.

The good news is that was probably my last night running with the 410, my 610 came in last night and even though it will definitely take some getting used to.... I think I'll enjoy it.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

happylily

Could it be showing you a total time for a different run? Do you remember running that 1:25:52 recently?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

When I upload my data (310xt) it has three times:

Not sure if I've ever understood the difference between Time and Moving Time but the Elapsed Time can be different if you are standing at lights, take a water break, etc.

Not sure if this is what you are seeing but something to check.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Julie, the only one that comes close to that time was last Wednesday (1:25:58) but the date of the run I am talking about shows February 19, 5:04 PM. Now, granted I went ahead and changed the time from start to when I pressed stop to what my watch says, but not the other two times. I did have to make a pit stop in some woods which would definitely explain the elapsed time of 6 minutes,  but not the fact that my watch history shows 1:19:40 and the connect showed the 1:25:52.

The 3 times it shows is:

Time: 1:19:40

Moving time: 1:25:45

Elapsed time: 1:25:52

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Julie, the only one that comes close to that time was last Wednesday (1:25:58) but the date of the run I am talking about shows February 19, 5:04 PM. Now, granted I went ahead and changed the time from start to when I pressed stop to what my watch says, but not the other two times. I did have to make a pit stop in some woods which would definitely explain the elapsed time of 6 minutes,  but not the fact that my watch history shows 1:19:40 and the connect showed the 1:25:52.

The 3 times it shows is:

Time: 1:19:40

Moving time: 1:25:45

Elapsed time: 1:25:52

Your moving time and elapsed time shouldn't be the same if you took a break. Looks like something wonky must have happened. Check your other runs to see if this is the first time. All of my "Time" and "Moving Time" numbers are pretty close in my connect data and the pace/mile is always off the Time.

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Moving time is based on a GPS calculation and there are some inherent differences from that and actual time.  Elapsed time is the total time from when it was turned on to end, and includes any pause you may have pushed for say a water break, potty break, stoplight stop, etc.  From the Garmin Website:

Garmin Connect processes the data of an activity in many ways to help you fully evaluate your activity data.

Below are the more in depth descriptions of various time and pace/speed fields:

Moving Time: includes only the time you were moving

Time: includes time moving and time not moving (if Auto Pause is off)

Elapsed Time: includes time between when timer is started, stopped, and reset (includes Auto Pause or manual stoppage of the timer)

Average Pace/Speed: Pace or Speed for entire duration of an activity

Moving Pace/Speed: Pace or Speed that only includes time spent moving (does not include Auto Pause)

Best Pace/Speed: Best Pace or Speed throughout the duration of an activity

Being aware of the differences between the various timing fields will assist you in utilizing them fully in evaluating your training

Hopefully this helps.

Docket_Rocket

Not sure what happened but I use the Time, not the moving or elapsed.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

This is the first time, it has never happened to me before. I've got a 6 miler tomorrow, I'll keep an eye on how things go with the sync afterwards.

Your moving time and elapsed time shouldn't be the same if you took a break. Looks like something wonky must have happened. Check your other runs to see if this is the first time. All of my "Time" and "Moving Time" numbers are pretty close in my connect data and the pace/mile is always off the Time.

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

fourouta5, yeah I've read that which is what's weird... the elapsed time and moving time seem correct and explains for my pressing stop/pause when I made the pit stop, stumbling through thorns and getting away from the walkway then to the trail/exit I couldn't find coming into the woods which would explain a 6 minute difference between my elapsed time and the time between start and stop/reset.

D, that is what I use to, the one that shows right under or in the  Summary Box at the top which shows:

Distance:

Time:

Avg Pace:

Elevation Gain

Calories:

Then you have the Details box that shows:

Time:

Moving Time:

Elapsed Time:

Avg Pace:

Avg Moving Pace:

Best Pace:

Elevation

Elevation Gain:

Elevation Loss:

Min Ele:

Mx Ele:

And then of course the Laps box. Very strange, but hopefully it had something to do with their maintenance thing last night and I'll see what happens tomorrow.

PRs

Docket_Rocket

I don't pay attention to those.  At the least I get 3-4 lights during a short run, my moving and elapsed are always different than my time.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I don't normally deal with lights, but I get to try the new Garmin Forerunner 610 tomorrow so I'll  have fun just trying to learn this new thing that is not like the 410 at all.

I don't pay attention to those.  At the least I get 3-4 lights during a short run, my moving and elapsed are always different than my time.

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

PRs

Docket_Rocket

I imported my run onto RA: https://www.runningahead.com/logs/6d1d5cb5e27e4230a9d79029229a9ba6/workouts/b122e79e57614933a93b92bb26f9a3de

It tells me the weblink does not exist.  I'll go to your log and see.

Saw it.  No splits but the 1:19 time is the actual time which is the one that gets uploaded.  Apart from that, I don't see it as an issue.  Maybe you've never gotten different Elapsed and Moving times but I always do and I Just basically ignore it.  Good luck with the 610.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Weird, I clicked on it and showed it for me: splits and all and the 1:19:40 time. I've always had different elapsed and moving and "time" times, that isn't the issue I am speaking of. The 1:19:40 is the time my garmin showed when I stopped my watch and saved the workout BUT when I uploaded to Garmin/connect, the time that should have said 1:19:40 instead said 1:25:52 while still showing the correct splits that would equal 1:19:40. I used what my garmin said and put 1:19:40 on the RA log and edited it on my garmin/connect.

I know the difference between the "time", the "moving time" and the "elapsed time", those are not what I am talking about.

PRs

Docket_Rocket

Weird, I clicked on it and showed it for me: splits and all and the 1:19:40 time. I've always had different elapsed and moving and "time" times, that isn't the issue I am speaking of. The 1:19:40 is the time my garmin showed when I stopped my watch and saved the workout BUT when I uploaded to Garmin/connect, the time that should have said 1:19:40 instead said 1:25:52 while still showing the correct splits that would equal 1:19:40. I used what my garmin said and put 1:19:40 on the RA log and edited it on my garmin/connect.

I know the difference between the "time", the "moving time" and the "elapsed time", those are not what I am talking about.

Then I agree with what you got from the general forums.  The update must have screwed something up.  Is there a way to send it to Garmin so they know of the problem?  I have had this issue with the Fenix for a year, whereby I don't stop the GPS but stop the workout and the last lap shows 2-5 minutes more than what I actually ran.  If it happens again with the 610, I would send it to GC.

Damaris

Fundraising Page