Beginners and Beyond

Scorching Fridailies (Read 31 times)

Morning Everyone

Gonna be a hot one here in the NE

Very tired this am. Went to my BILs Police academy graduation last night and didn't get in till around midnight. So I got about 4hrs of sleep . Ran an easy 7Mi 8:31avg. Sitting here drinking this americano waiting for some energy to kick in.

Whats everyone up to?

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning.  I only did 2 yesterday (OTF) and the start of my migraine and the storms stopped me from running more.  So, the migraine is still around and I'm at work but hoping I don't have to leave here.  I have Pilates and 7 tonight.

Damaris

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

I rode a slow 20 miles in a  foggy and overcast humidity blanket.  It was enough to get the blood flowing, and my jelly legs need it.  My brain is planning a big ride in the morning, and I hope an easy day gets my body on board with the idea.

Have a kickass day!

Runner with a riding problem.

Cyberic

The heat/humidity will start today, but will get worse tomorrow, and even worser on Sunday.

Ran 9.5 or something like that on the mountain. Wanted to to run at MP coming down, but didn't have it in me. I just jogged down, casually.

For the last couple of weeks, I was thinking I should run with people more. So this morning at 7 there was a group run of run commuters. They meet in in the old port, run like 5 miles together, go have an expresso coffee and talk for like 20 minutes, then leave to work. I'm on vacation, but I thought it would be nice to go anyways. So got up at 5:00 on a vacation day (some car alarm woke me up, and it wasn't worth going back to sleep). At 6:15, I got a text from Pierre, the only one who knew I was going, telling me it was cancelled this week. Most of them are running an ultra this Sunday, and the couple of other regulars decided to cancel because of that. Oh well. So much for group running. Glad Pierre texted me, or I would have waited there by myself like an idiot.

Have a nice day!

Baboon, it's a great time to be in Alaska and not in NE.

adkkev

I saw that Runningonsand posted this yesterday ... "Re: Alaska and northern Canada, I wouldn't like it being daylight for so long. Or dark for so long (another part of the year isn't that the problem--the darkness?)."

My son (DIL and 2 grandsons) have lived in Fairbanks for the past 20 years ... they love the long daylight in the summer.  They really don't have a problem with the darkness thing ... they do complain that winter seems to hang on forever.  Since they are from upstate NY they were used to the "January thaw" but that doesn't happen up in Fairbanks.  Winter ends about May 1st for them.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Good morning!

Nice evening of running for me - got in about 5.5 miles running out to the trail, and then joined in the trail series "race" for another 5.5. This race was a staggered start based on cumulative times from the prior race. I haven't really been competing in the series, so just hopped in somewhere in the middle and ran with a buddy. It wasn't exactly race pace, but he wasn't exactly easy to keep up with either! Ended up calling it and not running back home given the somewhat harder effort. It's a fun way to do a race....leads to lots of passing in the last mile when everyone has made up the stagger.

Should be an easy, short run tonight, then tomorrow I'm pacing an 8k that's part of the Akron marathon race series, and then 30 miles on Sunday.

Jay...nice work on the tired 7, and on the fact that your speeding tickets are now covered lol.

Docket..Hope your head feels better - those are the worst.

pleasant...How big is your brain thinking? 60-70? What kind of roads to you ride most...back country or city, flat or hilly? I'm full of questions!

Cyberic...Nice work on the 9. Sorry the group run didn't work out for you. I used to be a solo runner, but there's something great about having people to run with. It doesn't have to be all the time, but just for the change of pace, not to mention all the stories and things to learn, it's well worth it.

I get the sense that you and I are very different runners. You seem to like to push the pace when you can, making runs either progressive, or hitting MP or things like that. Not criticizing at all by the way...just noting a difference, and appreciating how many ways there are to go about this. I think Jay and I are a lot more aligned when it comes to running styles (although he is doing way more work than I am right now!).

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

delicate flower

Hey. Today I am driving 90 minutes then taking a 30 minute boat ride to do a 9 mile hike up a mountain to see a glacier and will have Oski in tow.  Gonna be a good day.

<3

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

pleasant...How big is your brain thinking? 60-70? What kind of roads to you ride most...back country or city, flat or hilly? I'm full of questions!

110ish.  I rode in town a little, but it's usually early or on weekends, with little traffic.  I ride a lot of rural roads, with assloads of hills.  I average about 90-100 ft elevation gain per mile, according to RA's corrections.

Runner with a riding problem.

Cyberic

I get the sense that you and I are very different runners. You seem to like to push the pace when you can, making runs either progressive, or hitting MP or things like that. Not criticizing at all by the way...just noting a difference, and appreciating how many ways there are to go about this. I think Jay and I are a lot more aligned when it comes to running styles (although he is doing way more work than I am right now!).

Yeah, well I don't know what the hell I'm doing, so, lol. I'm actually going to start training more in a traditional way in the weeks to come. Right now, there's no structure to what I'm doing. I try to be steady, but for the rest...

I just contacted a girl I met during the 50k. We have a run date (I don't know if that's correct. Nothing romantic) tomorrow at 9AM. Hopefully that'll work out. I'm making efforts to run with people right now. I don't know how that will work out. We haven't talked much. I won't know unless I try, I guess.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

110ish.  I rode in town a little, but it's usually early or on weekends, with little traffic.  I ride a lot of rural roads, with assloads of hills.  I average about 90-100 ft elevation gain per mile, according to RA's corrections.

Oh wow, that is a big ride! I could see the rural roads being enjoyable to ride - that's what we have where I am and there are tons of riders. I found hills really tough for the little bit that I was trying to ride. Even last night, I passed a lady on a bike as I was running up the large hill to the trail - I actually felt badly for her, because I do think it's easier just running.

Cyberic...Structure can be good, but there's nothing wrong with winging it for a bit too! I think it's great that you're making an effort to get some runs with others. It can take a while to find your "community," but once you do it's really nice. I hope the lady is nice. And I think a run date is a fair description.

Baboon...Sounds like a great day! Hope the views are even better than advertised.

Adkkev...Do you get up to visit them much?

Cyberic

110 miles PR . I don't bike, but I guess it's like a 6+ hour ride. That little seat must be printed in your behind for a while after that.

KCRuns

Good morning!

Baboon, have fun hiking, that sounds like a great way to spend the day.

Cyberic, I usually run alone, but I do enjoy the 1 or 2 runs a week I do with other people.  Like SIAR said, it may take a while for you to find the right people, but keep trying, it's worth it.  I learn a lot from them and having someone to talk with makes the miles go by quickly.  And I still have most of the days during the week to myself, so it's a good balance.

Docket, I hope you're feeling better!  I hate when a migraine hits during work.

Jay's title says it all, it's scorching hot out there today!  And so freaking humid, ugh.  I did a 3 mile jog/walk to work this morning.  My training plan calls for a rest or recovery day, so I embraced the concept and just enjoyed my time on the lake path.  My backpack was also heavier than usual today, so I'm glad I took it easy.

On a side note, I think the backpack this week also made my paces difficult to hit (in addition to the heat/humidity).  Next week, I'm going to have to plan ahead better and leave clothes at work rather than carry them in the backpack, at least on the longer runs where I'm supposed to stay in a certain pace range.

adkkev

Adkkev...Do you get up to visit them much?

I have been up there 18 times, my wife 15 times.  I went up there solo for a late January visit a couple years after they moved there, once to hike the Chilkoot Trail with my son, and once to run the Equinox Marathon as a part of a relay team (my son, one of his friends, & myself) - we managed to finish 44th out of a field of about 145 relay teams.

Our last visit was this past Dec/January, spent almost two weeks up there.  Celebrated New Year's, my son's birthday, and my wife's birthday during that visit!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I have been up there 18 times, my wife 15 times.  I went up there solo for a late January visit a couple years after they moved there, once to hike the Chilkoot Trail with my son, and once to run the Equinox Marathon as a part of a relay team (my son, one of his friends, & myself) - we managed to finish 44th out of a field of about 145 relay teams.

Our last visit was this past Dec/January, spent almost two weeks up there.  Celebrated New Year's, my son's birthday, and my wife's birthday during that visit!

Wow, that's great that you've been so many times. I'm sure there's never a shortage of things to get to do, especially for the outdoor inclined. Two weeks sounds about right to me - one week vacations just go by too quickly!

RunningOnSand

I saw that Runningonsand posted this yesterday ... "Re: Alaska and northern Canada, I wouldn't like it being daylight for so long. Or dark for so long (another part of the year isn't that the problem--the darkness?)."

My son (DIL and 2 grandsons) have lived in Fairbanks for the past 20 years ... they love the long daylight in the summer.  They really don't have a problem with the darkness thing ... they do complain that winter seems to hang on forever.  Since they are from upstate NY they were used to the "January thaw" but that doesn't happen up in Fairbanks.  Winter ends about May 1st for them.

That must certainly build some character! I'm in MN and I think our winters are bad enough.

Jay, nice job still getting up after the lack of sleep.

Docket, hope your migraine goes away.

PR, holy crap. 110 miles. Do you wear padded shorts? Has this topic come up before? My butt hurts just thinking about that.

SIAR, 30 miles is nothing to laugh at, either.  

Cyber, have fun with your running partner. I also sometimes like running with people...I usually enjoy it and it makes the miles fly by.

Baboon, sounds like a great day!

KC, I can totally see how your backpack would totally affect paces. I think you're a badass for run commuting. We're experiencing probably some of the same heat/humidity, being in MN. It's gross.

I've been pretty exhausted again this week. Blah. I totally slacked yesterday, but will get out for a run soon. We went strawberry picking this morning in the heat, and got a ton of berries! We'll have strawberry shortcake for dessert tonight, and I'm planning on making strawberry pie and some strawberry jam. It's the best.

Oh, and I purchased the Adidas Bostons and will be test driving them today. I'm excited.