Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins are working for the weekend (Read 34 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!) ShyShyShy

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

My run this morning wasn't great but it is done. Plan called for 3-4.5 mile fartlek....I ended up doing the lower end, 3 miles with more easy stuff than speed stuff. Had to push myself through a bit. Wasn't feelin it. Meh. My aches and pains seemed to loosen up a bit during it though so that is a positive.

Have a great day everyone!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Dad on the run.

Hey all, going on 2.5 weeks of not running. Leg is feeling much better now though. Sorry for the absence on here but I just needed a break from it all. Vacation was fantastic, had a lot of fun there and our daughter absolutely loves the beach Smile

Hope to finally get a run in this evening, perhaps just a nice slow 3 miler and see how the leg feels.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  11 miles tonight.  I already have a migraine, so I am glad I'm working from home today, as I can keep the lights low.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Stretching and icing done. Off to work for a rare 4 day week..  Walking with DW later, when she's not running.

Glad you had a nice vacation Jimmy, welcome back.

Have a great day !!!!

Kristin- nothing wrong with 3 easy miles.

J Black- hope the run works out. Injuries can't be fun.

Damaris- sorry about the migraine. Hopefully work at home isn't too painful.

Jerry- take care man

AFM- 6 miles done. Faster than normal. I think I got my mojo back.

Make today great  Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Bin Running

Kristin, congrats on completing the tough run.

Jimmy, welcome back.

Damaris, sorry abt the migraine. Feel better.

Jerry, hope the hip cont to recover.

9M around indoor track. Boring but weather is cool. Off to Mum's for home-cooked food. They are the best!

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Bin Running

Tomas, hurry for the mojo.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Docket_Rocket

Yes, and if you find my mojo, send it over.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

Morning pens! 3.72 humid miles for me. Dropped down to 2 walk breaks, felt pretty good. I went early enough that it wasn't super hot out (mid-70's) but I was dripping sweat half a mile in. It's raining now and feels a bit cooler, I almost wish I'd waited until it started raining to get out there :P

Kristin - good job getting it done. The days where I'm just not feeling it make the good days seem so much better, and it builds up mental toughness.

Jimmy - totally understandable. Glad you guys had a good vacation, good luck with your run later!

D - hope the migraine lets up D: No fun.

Jerry - heal up fast!

Tomas - nice run! Glad you found your mojo!

Bin - good job getting your miles in on the indoor track, my club makes use of it in the winter and it gets old real fast for me. Home-cooked food is the best, especially when you don't have to cook it yourself!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Today's high is going to be 99 with a heat index of 103, dewpoint well above 70.  That is a bit too hot even for me.  So I was up at 5 a.m. and off to the Y.  Started out from the Y a little after 5:30 a.m., and did hills in the surrounding neighborhood.  Very sticky this morning, 78 degrees, with a feels like temp of 82, humidity at 87% and dewpoint at 73.  Ended up with 3.3 miles and along the way met two very friendly pit-bull mix puppies that I gave treats to.  Right before I finished, I ran on part of the running trail at Trinity University and as I ran around one part of it, the sprinklers for the infield grass came on, giving me a bit of a soaking.  Which felt quite refreshing, actually.   Rest day tomorrow and then my 'long' run will be my 8K (4.96 miles) race on Saturday, followed by a 5K race on Sunday morning.

July  11:  Today's bizarre holidays are Slurpee Day and Cheer Up The Lonely Day

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Today is my Thriday, whoopee!!!  I have chorus tonight, then tomorrow I pack us up to head down to NC.  Note to self, don't forget the bag of decorations for dad's party!!  That would not make my mother happy ....  Plus tomorrow I need to wrap DH's birthday presents, as his birthday is Tuesday.

kristin -- glad everything loosened up for you!!

jblack -- glad you got soul-rested and body-rested!!

Docket -- are your migraines weather-related?  Hope it gets better!!

Jerryb -- have a good walk with DW!!

T-rod -- woo-hoo for a return of mojo!!

Bin -- enjoy the good eats!!

Lauren -- yeah, I'm getting a little tired of the tropical rainforest out there too!

scotty -- I was walking to a college class one morning (many years ago) and the sprinkler suddenly came on and blasted me up the side of the head.  I couldn't help laughing, I'm sure there was someone with a remote control somewhere ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Then of course there was the time DH and I were eating dinner on the couch.  Kaycee, our cat, decided to hop up on the arm of the couch and reach a paw out to DH's plate to steal some fish.  I grabbed the squirt bottle, took careful aim at the cat, and doused DH in the ear.  Apparently my aim is not that good ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Yes, and if you find my mojo, send it over.

i think i found my mojo on the beach in north carolina. your mojo is faster than my mojo and runs much longer. I might need a bike to find your mojo, but I will look for it. I am assuming it will be in a running skirt and look like a rock star. Smile

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens. Free wi-fi in hotels is nice! More driving today as we work our way to MT.

Jerry: we are going to Glacier. We have been to Yellowstone twice and you will love it.

Awood: there is not much beer in Utah. The kids are having a contest to see who can spy the most white steeples of the Mormon churches. The beer selection will be much better in MT.

As for me, we will go for a run tonight after we get to the next hotel.