Beginners and Beyond

Penguin's Running Hot&Cold THURSdaily !!! (Read 19 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning !!!

Short run today.  LR tomorrow.

Happy TV Dinner Day.  Don't think we are having one tonight.  Maybe leftovers !!!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!  6 today - hopefully I can sneak out between the thunderstorms, but if not it'll be another treadmill day.

Morning Jerry!

Zel - I saw that you got a new pair of Kinvara 5s.  How do they compare to the ride 6s?  I literally only have ride 6s (many pairs, all bought very cheaply last year) right now and I'm wondering if I should add some variety to my shoes. (I know I probably should)  As it stands I'm probably just going to run the marathon in ride 6s because that's what I'm used to, but I'm not sure if that's a terrible idea...

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

PADRunner

Morning, 5 done group tonight.

Docket_Rocket

Morning.  I have Pilates and 6 TM miles.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

Shins were achy after yesterday's 5.6 miles but lots of stretching of the calves has put them right again. Victory!

Nothing major planned today. Weights happened yesterday and I lift full-body so I never do two days in a row; I really wanted to get in the pool for a bit but I definitely won't have time. Wearing running clothes and bringing shoes so I can walk/jog to a building on the other side of campus in a few hours instead of taking the shuttle there (if it's not thunderstorming, that is).

Zelanie

Tempo went well last night.  Tonight I have 11, so hopefully I can meet up with the group and have company for some of it.

Sapf- I LOVE the K5s.  I used to only run in Kinvaras, but I think that was making my heel unhappy last year, so now I only use them for faster stuff.  1-2 times a week seems fine.  This is my first pair of 5's (I shop on super clearance, haha), and after 1 run I think they feel a lot cushier than the 4's.  Or maybe that's just the difference between old and new shoes?

Another shoe you might consider is the Breakthru.  They're designed to be somewhere between the more minimalist Kinvara and the (IMO) clunky Rides.  Those are pretty much my everyday go-to shoe and served me well in my last marathon.  I also have Zealots (super cushy) for long runs, but those are a bit spendy for me.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Tempo went well last night.  Tonight I have 11, so hopefully I can meet up with the group and have company for some of it.

Sapf- I LOVE the K5s.  I used to only run in Kinvaras, but I think that was making my heel unhappy last year, so now I only use them for faster stuff.  1-2 times a week seems fine.  This is my first pair of 5's (I shop on super clearance, haha), and after 1 run I think they feel a lot cushier than the 4's.  Or maybe that's just the difference between old and new shoes?

Another shoe you might consider is the Breakthru.  They're designed to be somewhere between the more minimalist Kinvara and the (IMO) clunky Rides.  Those are pretty much my everyday go-to shoe and served me well in my last marathon.  I also have Zealots (super cushy) for long runs, but those are a bit spendy for me.

How is the toe box on them?  I have pretty wide feet.  The ride 6 toe box is just big enough (in the standard width).  I'm seeing them for 55 on amazon so I may take the plunge.  I can always return them if they don't fit I suppose.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

The toe box feels pretty similar on all Sauconys  I think, except maybe the Breakthru  is narrower.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi Penguins!!  Getting training on the new instrument (more training, that is), so I'm not around much.  If you don't hear from me again, see you next week!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

sapf & Zel, I love shoe talk.  

Jerry, PAD, Damaris, Lauren: Hi there!

HopesMom, enjoy the new equipment!

4.9 done this morning; a little cooler than yesterday.  Later on I'll go to after school program for my daily dose of cuteness and abuse (did I mention I got punched last week by a 10yo?  It's a good thing they don't pay me for this job, because they couldn't pay me enough!)

Have a great day everyone!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Might have to go inside due to rain today.

Zel, I'm still wearing my old K3s for walking.  They didn't last too long for running.  I think they are little light for running with my flat feet.  Are the Ride's much lighter than the Guide's?  I like the Guide's, but not running them this year.

Docket_Rocket

Hi Penguins!!  Getting training on the new instrument (more training, that is), so I'm not around much.  If you don't hear from me again, see you next week!

Enjoy!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Had the best vegetarian Pad Thai ever for lunch.  Not sure how I'll hop on the TM and do Pilates after that.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Had the best vegetarian Pad Thai ever for lunch.  Not sure how I'll hop on the TM and do Pilates after that.

Ahh, you are making me sad.  My local thai place is closed until next Thursday because the owners went on vacation.  Usually thai food is a 2-5 times a week affair for me =P