Beginners and Beyond

My dog has a torn ACL (update: RIP, puppy) (Read 247 times)

runwell3

my deep condolences to you & mbc on your loss, Phil...so very sad to lose such a warm & loving companion.   We still feel the loss of our Dalmation 2 years later.  Although the newest member of our family could never take Cynder's place, she is a wonderful blessing none the less.  Take heart and keep looking forward.

delicate flower

Thanks for all the nice comments.  It's been a rough weekend for the wife and I.  Jewell was such a sweet, gentle, happy pup.  We'll never forget her and I am grateful for the eight years we had with her.

<3

Mostly harmless

This is so hard. I'm really sorry for the loss of your family member.

The thing about having dogs (and other pets too) is that we know this is going to happen from the start.  We know that in the end they will die and we will be heartbroken because of it. We know how much it will hurt and how much we will miss them and yet we still do it anyway. Most of us do it over and over again.

When we went through this our vet, who is a no nonsense kind of guy, gave me this advice:

Don't wait around for a long time before you get another dog.  Go out and get one as soon as you can.  Then wait a couple years and go get you a another dog.  Then, whenever one of them goes you've always got a spare.

The idea of having a "spare" dog always struck me as funny but I did end up taking his advice, although we waited a while before getting another dog.  We got Tasha and then 3 years later we got Jasper.  Tasha is gone now and we got Copper last year.

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

delicate flower

When we went through this our vet, who is a no nonsense kind of guy, gave me this advice:

Don't wait around for a long time before you get another dog.  Go out and get one as soon as you can.  Then wait a couple years and go get you a another dog.  Then, whenever one of them goes you've always got a spare.

Thanks, Scott.  It's funny, we do have another dog that I jokingly referred to as "Replacement Jewell" when we first got her.  This weekend, we were happy she was around.  Bloo and Jewell got along great but I don't think they were together long enough for Bloo to develop any kind of real bond with Jewell.  The last few months we've had to keep them separated anyway because of Jewell's physical condition and the fact that Bloo is a freight train from hell and would just plow Jewell over.  So, Bloo doesn't seem too fazed yet that Jewell is gone.  The cats don't seem to care either, though the cats and dogs have always just "coexisted" in the house.

<3

Village people

I am so sorry, Phil.

Singer who runs a smidge

I'm sorry to hear this too!  It's such an incredibly hard decision to make, even when it's clear that it's the right decision.  When we lost Hope to lung cancer, I promised her I would always be Hope'sMom.  I still miss her two years later.  Sad

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Hip Redux

This is such a great photo!

Thanks for all the nice comments.  It's been a rough weekend for the wife and I.  Jewell was such a sweet, gentle, happy pup.  We'll never forget her and I am grateful for the eight years we had with her.

Docket_Rocket

My cats do not seem to miss Lily when she died and we found that weird.  Having said that, they all have changed somehow.  Be on the lookout for a change in behavior.

Thanks, Scott.  It's funny, we do have another dog that I jokingly referred to as "Replacement Jewell" when we first got her.  This weekend, we were happy she was around.  Bloo and Jewell got along great but I don't think they were together long enough for Bloo to develop any kind of real bond with Jewell.  The last few months we've had to keep them separated anyway because of Jewell's physical condition and the fact that Bloo is a freight train from hell and would just plow Jewell over.  So, Bloo doesn't seem too fazed yet that Jewell is gone.  The cats don't seem to care either, though the cats and dogs have always just "coexisted" in the house.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

bobruns

I am so sorry.  I am "bobruns".  Bob was my dog for 16 yrs and will never be forgotten or replaced.  We have 2 other dogs now but they will never be Bob.  They each have their very special sole.  RIP good pup!

Donna

flarunner

Oh Phil, I am so sorry for your loss.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Oh, no!  I am so sorry. RIP, Jewell. Sad  I still miss our 2 kitties that we lost within 7 months of each other 2 years ago.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

So sorry for your loss Sad

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Dr. Cornsitter

So sorry about your pup. Dogs really are like member of the family and I hope your happy memories will give you strength.

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

So sorry for your loss, losing a best friend can leave hole in your heart bigger than you can bear sometimes.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

paulski66

miscreant

I'm really sorry to hear this. My condolences...

I'm happy, hope you're happy too...