Beginners and Beyond

Savannah River Bridge Run RR (Read 236 times)

Robert31320

Team TJ

I ran the Savannah River Bridge Run on 12/1/12. 

This race features a 5K, 10K, and Double Pump (15 distance).  The distances equate to 1, 2, or 3 trips across the Talmadge Bridge.  I ran the 5K since it was my first time ever, and I figured there was no need to make my 10K debut an epic failure. 

We lined up at the Savannah International Trade Center and would run to the Savannah Civic Center.  The start is on a divided road and they start the runners and walkers seperate (a LOT of people walk the race).  There were 3,971 people starting the 5K and Double Pump together.  I lined up about mid-pack and at the gun we stood still for over 1 minute.  Once we got going it was about 1/2 mile until we started up the bridge.  Right at the base of the bridge was the first water station and it was amazing the number of folks stopping for water.  All the way up the bridge I was steadily passing folks and just before I got to the top I got a serious side cramp.  I ended up walking for about 1 minute right over the top of the bridge.  The downhill was easier than I imagined it would be as I imagined momentum would get you too fast and end up in a face-plant.  I crossed the finish line at a blazing 35:52 for 56/110 in my age group and 1,988 of 3,971 OA.

I hung around the finish for a while and watched the band, the first "concert" I've been to in YEARS.  I then watched the 10K and and Double Pump finishers start coming in. 

I needed to get back home so I caught the shuttle back to the Trade Center where I parked.  On the way over the bridge I saw a young lady working to finish the 10K.  She was on crutches with only one leg.  She was getting it done and she was NOT last!  If that won't make you appreciate your ability to run, I don't know what would.

Next year, I will run the 10K!  I had a great time at this race.  VERY WELL organized.

Here a couple pictures from my race.

Waiting at the start 

Running for TJ because he can't.

Good job Robert!  Was it scary running on the bridge at its apex? Curious because even though Savannah is one of my favorite places to visit, I doubt that i could run across a tall bridge like the Talmadge (acrophobia).  Good luck next year with the 10K.

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Little Blue

Fun!  I wish they had a HM distance, that would be a great trip for us.  It's a little far for a 5K (NC).

Congrats!

Hey Doc

Feets don't fail me now

That looks like a really fun and interesting race!  Congratulations on how well you did!  Glad it was so well run and organized.

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Nice job Robert!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Zelanie

Nice job!  Running over a big bridge like that is impressive!  Was the finish line on the other side from the start?  If so, did they bus the 10Kers over or start them on the other side?

Looks like a blast!  You know it went well when you are already planning for next years run.  Congrats!

runmomto3boys

Whoa!  How cool is it that you got to run across that bridge?!?!?!  Nice job in the race.  I'm sorry you had the cramping business, but you powered through and got it done.  Nice job!!!  How cool is it that you saw that lady finishing the 10K on crutches, with only one leg.  Incredible strength/fortitude.  Next time I want to wuss out during a run, I'll think of her.  Thanks for the great report! 

Misty

Wow what a beautiful route! And you got a nice placement too- congrats!

Misty

Bless your heart.

LRB

Man it looks nothing like that here being all grey and dank and stuff.  Congrats on the race!

workinprogress11

Running across the bridge looks fun.  Congratulations on the race!

KaraInSavannah

Runs the streets

Robert, great job! Your report only tells half the story. THat bridge run is known to be one of the toughest in the nation. As a fellow Savannahan, I can attest......ITS A BEAST. So much so that I flat out won't run the thing. Good for you, Robert!

Anomalous

Congratulations, Robert and thank you for sharing! I remember crossing over Talmadge to get to the RnR Savannah expo. It is quite beautiful. I will have to run this race one day Smile

<script></script>

Half Fanatic  #3091  ~   Marathon debut: 11/16/13 Anthem Richmond Marathon

"Run from what’s comfortable. Forget safety. Live where you fear to live. Destroy your reputation. Be notorious." - Rumi

Pinktastic

Congrats, Robert!!   That looks like a truly beautiful course!   Thanks for sharing all the pictures - I really enjoyed them!  Good luck with your training!  I'm betting you knock that 10K outta the park next year!!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

tracilynn

Great job Robert.  Looks like a scenic race.  Too bad about the side stitch cramp thing.  Those are no fun at all.  Congrats on your 35 and your placement.  

~~~~~~~

Traci