Beginners and Beyond

Sleepy Monday Penguins (Read 22 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Morning.

I didn't check in over the weekend but I had a good running weekend. Ran the Healthy Kidney 10K on Saturday. Ran it as a progression run and executed it well despite the sucky humidity and heat. Ran 1 mile at recover pace before the race, ran the first mile of the race at easy pace and picked up my pace about 30 seconds each mile and mile 6 was 2 minutes faster than mile 1. Then I did 1.3 mile cool down at recovery pace for 8.5 total.

Sunday I did 5 miles recovery paced.

Today I bid my beloved Monday Rest Day goodbye for the next 22 weeks, moving my spin class from Weds to Monday and adding Weds as a run day (I added Weds as a run day last week but I kept Monday as a rest day cuz it was Memorial Day and I was away so no spin).

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all :-)  Today I'll try to get 5 or so in between the raindrops.

Kristin - I'm thinking about adding spin once a week or so.  There's  a spin studio pretty close to my apartment and it would probably be good to make sure I cross train a bit.  I can't believe marathon training starts so soon =P

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

From the Internet.

Hi pens. Ran a little this morning, now my cat is at the cat hospital. She was breathing kind of deeply/heavily last night but otherwise behaving normally - eating, drinking, snuggling with me. I called my sister who is a vet tech, she said to take her pulse and check her gums (pale gums are bad) and if those were fine, it'd be OK to wait to take her to the vet this morning. Called first thing this morning and brought her in, her gums were a little pale, they did a chest x-ray and couldn't even see her heart because there was so much fluid in her chest. Gave her a drug to try to clear away some of the fluid, there is a cardiologist who does appointments Monday afternoons only so they're trying to bump someone else so he can see her today. I'm at home in tears now, I got to say goodbye and pet her before I left.

Hoping it's something we can manage with medication but they said she could be in heart failure already, or it could be something like a clot, so be prepared for the worst. She's only 7 so I'm hoping that she'll be okay, but I'm really scared and sad. Sad

Robert31320

Team TJ

Good morning, penguins.

Today I started a 12 week plan to be ready for my first 25K race on August 22.  My plan calls for 5 days per week running.  I may add some bicycle miles in the afternoons just for good measure.

I got in 3.3 miles this morning.

Running for TJ because he can't.

hog4life

Robert, 25k is a great distance, I love it. I'm cheering for ya!

Lauren, so sorry to hear about your cat.

I had a Forrest Gump moment today and just kept going and going.......21.25. Now time for a nap.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  At least it's still morning as I start typing this, but it'll probably be afternoon by the time I get it posted.  I had an awesome weekend at my leadership training for chorus, woo-hoo!!  The drive was a bummer (4 hours) but the program was worth it.  Today I've been scrambling like crazy to do chorus things, work things, personal things, work things, lather, rinse, repeat.  

Kristin -- sounds like a good running weekend, enjoy the spin class!!

sapf -- hope you don't get wet!!

Lauren -- so sorry to hear about the kitty!!  Hoping for good news ...

Robert -- Woo-hoo for your 3.3 and for your plan!!

Hog -- wow, when you keep going, you don't mess around!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hey look, I did get it posted in the morning! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

PADRunner

Morning Penguins,

Sorry about your cat Lauren, hope she's alright.

Miles this moning

More Miles tonight.

Miles while I sleep

From the Internet.

Thanks guys. I'm a mess right now knowing that there's nothing I can do.

Zelanie

Lauren, hoping for the best.

on my way to badass

Lauren, hoping for a good outcome.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

From the Internet.

Thanks guys. Called to check in on her, she's doing much better now that she's settled in and calmed down - some of the really heavy breathing was probably stress-related. She's a very nervous kitty, hates being removed from her home and is generally terrified of anyone who isn't me or the kid. Cardiologist usually comes in around 3 so it'll probably be a little while before I know whether he found anything.

GinnyinPA

Lauren - I hope you get good news from the cat cardiologist.

Kristin - are you starting your marathon training already?  Did you decide it's too hot to race the 10k?  You made a nice progression run out of it.

sapf - I hope you manage a dry run today.

D - are you home yet?

Robert - is your 25k in the mountains?  I can't imagine racing that far in the summer in Georgia.  The good part though, even if you go slowly, it will be a PR.

Mitch - that's a long run for a Monday morning.  Great job.

HopesMom - I'm glad you had a fun weekend.  Good luck playing catch up.

PAD - are you gearing up for another long race?  Good luck with the double (or is that triple?)  Have the rains stopped yet?

It's really humid outside - DP of 68 this afternoon.  I will probably take a rest day.

Afternoon my fellow Penguins!

Kristin - nice race

sapf - enjoy the raindrops - hopefully they will be refreshing

Lauren - Sorry to hear about your kitty. I hope she rebounds quickly because I can tell she really means a lot to you.

Robert - good luck on your 25K plan. I like "plans".

Run Forest Mitch Run!

HsM - Whoooosh!

PAD - Do you actually run in your sleep or just dream about it?

AFM - I'm excited that I found a 9-week deep water-running plan. I've sent it to my PT and will run it by my Orthopedic doc when I see him Monday for approval. It has a chart and everything!!!    If I get the go ahead, I wonder if I can log miles for this??? Oh man, that might be too much to ask for. It's been over 4 weeks of me not running and 4 weeks of me stress-baking. Not a good combination.

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K