Beginners and Beyond

The Critique of the Female Trail Runner... Female Runners in General (Read 60 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

http://www.trailsisters.net/blog/2016/6/13/the-critique-of-the-female-trail-runner

I haven't finished reading it yet, but I am already in agreement with the article/blog. 
    The sad thing is, if those women are considered fat... then I must be a whale. 

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

onemile

I feel pretty self conscious being a bigger runner (relative). Especially being on the faster side... I definitely feel fatter than other women who can run the paces I do.  And when I line up toward the front in a race I am imagining people looking at me thinking that I don't belong up front... and then post-race there are usually a few guys who come up to me and tell me nice job and I assume they are saying 'impressive someone as chubby as you can run that fast'. But I can't imagine if someone actually said that to my face... or commented on my pics!

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I feel pretty self conscious being a bigger runner (relative). Especially being on the faster side... I definitely feel fatter than other women who can run the paces I do.  And when I line up toward the front in a race I am imagining people looking at me thinking that I don't belong up front... and then post-race there are usually a few guys who come up to me and tell me nice job and I assume they are saying 'impressive someone as chubby as you can run that fast'. But I can't imagine if someone actually said that to my face... or commented on my pics!

Way back, when we were on RW forums, I had quite a few negative comments on my pics. Mainly from the peeps from the L&O groups.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

onemile

Way back, when we were on RW forums, I had quite a few negative comments on my pics. Mainly from the peeps from the L&O groups.

If I remember correctly, those were posts where you were showing off your body, not race photos. I think the former invite those kind of comments.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

If you are a whale I am a record breaking gigantic whale.

Damaris

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Yeah I was showing off, I was proud of what running had done to my body and the confidence running had given me. I look tons worse in my running pics, I mean seriously....

D, I think we would be better off just slapping assholes like that before they have a chance to say something.

PRs

onemile

I look tons worse in my running pics, I mean seriously....

Sure but I'm guessing you wouldn't have gotten a mean word had you posted the worst of them in a race report. But when it's in the context of "check out my ass" you are going to get a different response.

Half Crazy K 2.0

If you are a whale I am a record breaking gigantic whale.

+1

People are assholes who live to say things online that they would never say to someone's face.

There are some blogs I've seen where the bloggers make a comment that invited either positive or negative comments. Stuff like this is my body, I love it, if you don't, suck it, you can't judge it, etc. Why post then?

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Sure but I'm guessing you wouldn't have gotten a mean word had you posted the worst of them in a race report. But when it's in the context of "check out my ass" you are going to get a different response.

Some of those threads I didn't start and others posted as well. Some of those women attacking just had me on their hit list.

PRs