Beginners and Beyond

My Tuesday Penguin can out run your honor student! (Read 326 times)

Gustav- bummer about the Dr. take care bud.

N8guv- way to go on the treadmill yesterday. enjoy the rest.

Kristi- good luck on the race this weekend.

Robert- What happened to your leg?

Jen- probably a good call to rest that hammy. Which HM are you doing?

Steph- nice picture- seems like you are feeling better. good luck with the run later. Did you ever find a spring race?

Damaris- is caffine your secret to your miles? you keep kicking butt. keep it up.

Awood- thats pretty cool to run with your fiance. I might sneak in some extra miles with my wife later. she is doing the C25K. Maybe it will score me some brownie points.

Jerry- sorry about the weather. That has to be a pain.

Dave- WTG on the 8.

Kristi- Pictures or it didnt happen Big grin

Kristin- sorry about the run. Maybe some rest days will help. Some of the more knowledgeable folks here may have better advice, but rest is the best I have.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

hog4life

Kristin, please be careful with the calf thing. I once had some similar issues and kept running(as to push through it), and that was the worst thing ever. Mine ended up in a calf tear, and it took some time to heal. IMO, at least for me, and because of that, if I feel pain, I stop, and walk home. I will not push that envelope again.

Kara, glad to see you made it.

Where's Scotty?

I just checked on RW and damn near the whole front page was spam. I starting more and more to like it over here. I'm about to head out for maybe 4-5, I'll check in later.

Mitch

Robert31320

Team TJ

Colonists! So glad so see your shining faces! Hope everyone had a great holiday with the ones they love! I couldn't find the proper forum, then went out of town and have had a lot of family holiday traditions (Nutcracker, tree trimming party) once I returned. I heard of the amber alert, and literally had to search my own name to even find this forum. NOOB! I HAVE been running

blah...blah...blah...

Robert- what happened to you? bridge run out?

more blah...blah...blah...

I just have a sore arch in my right foot.  I've done way too much reading and have self-diagnosed myself with the early stages of PF.  I also have a sore right calf/shin.  I've been rotating through three different shoes and don't know if that has anything to do with any of it or if I'm just falling apart.  With this sudden onset of nagging pain, I'm hoping I can still get ready for Tybee... 

Been pondering some zero drop shoes or calf compression sleeves to see what they do.  Looking like a trip to the Richmond Hill running store could be coming soon.

As for the bridge run, I"M IN!  They say run, walk, or crawl in the advertisement.  Going to the expo at the trade center Friday afternoon to get my stuff and see what they have there.

How's your knee treating you now?

Later.

Running for TJ because he can't.

Docket_Rocket

Still semi asleep but whatever.  I need to write a brief and send it to DC in less than two weeks and I've written 2 pages and they are the title pages!

Send me coffee.

T-rod, no, I don't drink much coffee.  I'm usually hyper as is.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Hog that sounds awful!!! Calf cramps are unfortunately pretty normal for me. If I took time off after every time it happened, i would never run. However, what IS normal is a few minutes of tightening that I'm able to walk/jog off, stretch for a second and be fine for miles to come. What is NOT normal is whay happened this morning. Mu Nike+ tells me I went 2.36 miles at an average pace of 14:40 (my easy pace is in the 11:30-12 range) and every step of it hurt.....I think a rest day is in order tomorrow... thanks guys

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

KaraInSavannah

Runs the streets

Kara- good to see you! Not sure if taking days off is the answer....frequently the run after a particularly tight-calf run they feel better. It's something that has been happening since I startes running and I just cant predict when it's going to happen. It's frustrating. It hasn't been this bad in awhile though Sad not sure if taking days off will make it better or worse but I can't really afford to twke extra days off...my plan has me only running 3 days per week as it is.

I guess that makes sense since it is muscle, and likely from tightness and spasms. Running would stretch that out. I guess resting would be for bones, joints and tendonitis.  

Singer who runs a smidge

I just have a sore arch in my right foot.  I've done way too much reading and have self-diagnosed myself with the early stages of PF.  I also have a sore right calf/shin.  I've been rotating through three different shoes and don't know if that has anything to do with any of it or if I'm just falling apart.  With this sudden onset of nagging pain, I'm hoping I can still get ready for Tybee... 

Been pondering some zero drop shoes or calf compression sleeves to see what they do.  Looking like a trip to the Richmond Hill running store could be coming soon.

Robert, if you have a race you're getting ready for, now is not the time to try zero drop shoes.  They will dramatically shift the muscles you're using to run, so you really need to have some time to transition.  My advice (always free and probably worth what it costs) is to massage the heck out of both your calf and your arch.  Freeze a water bottle and roll that foot over it, son!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Hi gang!

Last night was SOOOO busy at work. I left at 12:45pm and got home at 12:45am. And then sleep was awful because my littlest has been struggling to stay asleep. I slept in this morning because I needed the extra rest even though it was a run day. I did not anticipate getting my run in because my husband had a dentist appointment this morning. But you know what? He made me breakfast and helped with the kiddos so I could get a short run and shower in before he left. He is totally my hero. Smile Ahhhh, I feel good!

2.34 miles for me this morning. I didn't overdress today, but I DID run faster to compensate for the cold. Hmmm... If I want work on running slower I should probably bundle up more. But not so much that I'm sweating and freezing at the same time. Tricky.

I'm happy to see so many familiar faces over here! I keep checking RWOL to see if things have improved, but it's not pretty. Have a great Tuesday, everyone!

Singer who runs a smidge

That's one good husband!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

hog4life

Kristin, one more thing, do you roll them along with the stretching? I bought The Stick and that helped a lot too. I ended up getting 5.03, it was overcast, windy, and 45 degrees. Very brisk while going into the wind. Now I gotta go get ready for work.
                      Robert31320

Team TJ

Robert, if you have a race you're getting ready for, now is not the time to try zero drop shoes.  They will dramatically shift the muscles you're using to run, so you really need to have some time to transition.  My advice (always free and probably worth what it costs) is to massage the heck out of both your calf and your arch.  Freeze a water bottle and roll that foot over it, son!

Advice received and appreciated.  I didn't plan to go to the zero drop shoes for the race.  Just may go to them in the future.  I will definitely try the frozen water bottle tip tonight.

Running for TJ because he can't.

It's lunch time for me! YAY! What are people eating?  Okay, I'm really posting to show Tomas that I can be boring with my lunches too.  I'm having a salad with pulled chicken and stuffed pepper soup again.  Same as yesterday, lol.

Tomas, Spring race?  I'm doing a half marathon in March and then a 25k trail race in May. Well and there is a 10 miler in January and a 5k on Mother's Day and I think the 10k on Father's Day is still considered spring, ha.

Steph 

“I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.” John Burroughs

Hi guys!  I never posted in the dailies threads over on RW, but since we have a fresh start here, I thought I'd join in.

6.2 miles in an hour for me, including 30 min at 8:34mm (tempo) pace.  On the treadmill.

Happy running, all!

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

StartingOver42

faster than a glacier

What up penguins? I need to figure out how to get my running penguin avatar hooked up but other than that it's pretty cool over here! Now if I can just get back running life will be good. Sad

Singer who runs a smidge

What, we're supposed to run?

I had a Manwich.  Because a sandwich is just a sandwich, but a Manwich is a meal!