Beginners and Beyond

My Tuesday Penguin can out run your honor student! (Read 326 times)

Docket_Rocket

Hog that sounds awful!!! Calf cramps are unfortunately pretty normal for me. If I took time off after every time it happened, i would never run. However, what IS normal is a few minutes of tightening that I'm able to walk/jog off, stretch for a second and be fine for miles to come. What is NOT normal is whay happened this morning. Mu Nike+ tells me I went 2.36 miles at an average pace of 14:40 (my easy pace is in the 11:30-12 range) and every step of it hurt.....I think a rest day is in order tomorrow... thanks guys

Have you consider using compression socks or sleeves?  They even come for running (CEP makes those).  Or maybe using the recovery compression socks after running to help you with the cramping with the issues.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Thanks to me whining about my calves on the BF before, I have tried rolling them with a rolling pin. I have Zensah compression sleeves I wear during most of my runs, and I keep a second clean pair around to put on after I shower for a few hours after any long ryn or run that the calves bother me.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Steph- You would be proud of me. I left my sandwhich, apple, and banana in the fridge and had a school lunch. This consisted of chinese food - egg roll, meatballs in sweet and sour sauce, veggies, carrots, and a side salad. I had never had meat balls and sweet and sour....kinda odd.

That seems like a full schedule unless you are scotty dog or Damaris. Smile I am doing a 5k color run with my wife and some of her co workers in Feb. I might bight the bullet and sign up  for some more races in the spring. Depends how my marathon goes in Jan.

It's lunch time for me! YAY! What are people eating?  Okay, I'm really posting to show Tomas that I can be boring with my lunches too.  I'm having a salad with pulled chicken and stuffed pepper soup again.  Same as yesterday, lol.

Tomas, Spring race?  I'm doing a half marathon in March and then a 25k trail race in May. Well and there is a 10 miler in January and a 5k on Mother's Day and I think the 10k on Father's Day is still considered spring, ha.

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Mmmmm...beer

Welcome aboard Paula, good run! Smile

Lunch, not much, ate some nuts and some cheese crackers.  That's what happens when I don't bring my lunch and don't feel like going anywhere to get lunch.  There's a protein bar in my desk, I'll probably eat that too.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Singer who runs a smidge

Thanks to me whining about my calves on the BF before, I have tried rolling them with a rolling pin. I have Zensah compression sleeves I wear during most of my runs, and I keep a second clean pair around to put on after I shower for a few hours after any long ryn or run that the calves bother me.

This really seems like a sort of atypical problem, and I'm wondering if something is off in your running form.  Maybe you're running too much up on your toes?  I dunno, but it seems like it shouldn't be this hard for you.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

BradyS71

Fast Penquin

Hey all, tlooks like there were some awesome runs this morning!

I got in 5.2 and it was SNOWING!  I love running in the snow, I just can't wait for it to stack sticking.  Also helps for the winter running challenge.

I updated my log on here (wow really cool, can't wait to get more use out of it) and it looks like I hit my milage goal for the year (800 miles)!  I also passed my weight loss goal for the year (175 lbs)!  I actually wiegh less now then I did when I started my senior year of high school, which is kinda cool.  Now I need to find some before and after pics Smile

I would do personals but its all about me, just kidding I will try and do personals tomorrow.

Tick: I'm sure millions of viewers out there are just wondering what it's like to wear the tights of justice. Well, it's tingly and it's uncomfortable, but it gets the job done and, oh, the job of it.

From the Internet.

So it turns out I hate the treadmill. Ick. It was raining so I figured I'd give the gym a shot, made it one whole mile before I suited up and went outside to finish my run, where the rain switched over to snow and made for very pleasant running conditions. 44 minutes total. Nice.

I was stricken by post-run starvation mode, so lunch was coffee, a banana, and a French toast bagel with butter, cream cheese, and peanut butter. SO GOOD. Second lunch will be a baby portion of sort of Asian-inspired chicken and broccoli left over from dinner last night since I can guarantee I'll be hungry again in an hour or so.

Singer who runs a smidge

So it turns out I hate the treadmill. Ick. It was raining so I figured I'd give the gym a shot, made it one whole mile before I suited up and went outside to finish my run,

I've done this before too.  Woo-hoo!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Dad on the run.

I just have a sore arch in my right foot.  I've done way too much reading and have self-diagnosed myself with the early stages of PF.  I also have a sore right calf/shin.  I've been rotating through three different shoes and don't know if that has anything to do with any of it or if I'm just falling apart.  With this sudden onset of nagging pain, I'm hoping I can still get ready for Tybee... 

Been pondering some zero drop shoes or calf compression sleeves to see what they do.  Looking like a trip to the Richmond Hill running store could be coming soon.

As for the bridge run, I"M IN!  They say run, walk, or crawl in the advertisement.  Going to the expo at the trade center Friday afternoon to get my stuff and see what they have there.

How's your knee treating you now?

Later.

Get on carpet and walk forward on your heels, then backwards on your tip toes. If you have stairs and some weights, stand on the stairs with the back half of your foot hanging off, lower yourself down as far as you can and push back up, I do this with 35lbs kettle bell and I do it 20 or so times. As or the feet, freeze some 20oz bottles and after a run roll them under your feet for a few minutes. I suffered from calf pains for about a month and just kept doing every possible calf exercise and stretch I could find, finally it went away and hasn't returned.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

From the Internet.

I've done this before too.  Woo-hoo!

Haha it made me feel like a badass. "Eff you and your fancy-pants gym, college kids, I'm going out into the elements!"

Snickers1230

Hey everyone!  Wandered over from the BF in RW.  Thanks Hope's Mom for the link over there!  I took this moment to just go ahead and change my username (was Jackie_601 there).  I'll have to work on getting a pic uploaded and such.  I don't think I'd been on the forums in a month or so.  I got busy with work and was never one.  And then they were working on the update and then I was hearing about the issues with all the spam.  But I'm glad I found you guys! Smile

Hoping to hit the treadmill after work for a little speed work.

Formerly Jackie_601 on RW

Next up:

4/27 - Green 6.2 10K

Philliefan33

I was stricken by post-run starvation mode, so lunch was coffee, a banana, and a French toast bagel with butter, cream cheese, and peanut butter. SO GOOD. Second lunch will be a baby portion of sort of Asian-inspired chicken and broccoli left over from dinner last night since I can guarantee I'll be hungry again in an hour or so.

Do you have some Hobbit blood in you?  I always have second breakfast....so I figure there's a Hobbit somewhere in my family tree.

(Come to think of it, my Finnish great-grandmother was a short woman with big feet....)

Dad on the run.

Hey all, took another RD to let me leg rest a bit more. I made a ghetto roller (am I allowed to say ghetto?) with a 2 liter bottle full of water and rolled rolled rolled my leg, now its all tender and sore to the touch this am, perhaps I bruised it a little? However there is no internal pain so that is good i guess.

Since I didn't get to run I did some weight training this morning and a few more core workouts than usual. Going to head out tomorrow for 3 or 4 easy miles and see how the leg feels.

Kara - Glad you finally made your way over here Smile

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

For lunch I had a ham sandwich, pretzel chips and yogurt.

Tonight after the Cubs Scout meeting planning on doing a mile and some core workout.

From the Internet.

Do you have some Hobbit blood in you?  I always have second breakfast....so I figure there's a Hobbit somewhere in my family tree.

(Come to think of it, my Finnish great-grandmother was a short woman with big feet....)

There must be, I can't get by eating less than 5x/day. Well, I can survive, but I'm much less productive and less pleasant to be around Smile