Beginners and Beyond

FriDAILIES promises to be sticky icky (Read 41 times)

LRB

There's no escaping that shit today. Stay cool peeps.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Dreading going into work. I know I'm gonna have people in my office as soon as they come in wanting me to resolve an issue I have no authority to fix and had no way of knowing would happen in the first place. Too bad I can't slip outta there for a run, I'm gonna need it. I will at least stay cool in my 65 degree office.

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

I didn't run, but I did sleep extra and late.  I would have liked to run, but being a late-sleeping lazy fuck isn't all bad.  I am a little worried I could get used to this Smile.

I hope everyone has a kickass day!

Runner with a riding problem.

Cyberic

Gonna be a hot one today, and I slept in. Over 8 hours of sleep, woohoo! I will get my run in sometime today. Thankfully it's an easy run because in this heat, I would have cried if I had to do a workout.

My office is at about 75 degrees, cuz I'm by a South side window. It's cooler in the middle of the building, but not 65. More like 71-72.

Cyberic

What do you guys think of this?

Positive Effects of Heat Training 

So now that we have talked about the downside of training in the heat, let’s talk about the benefits.  There seems to be good evidence that training in the heat may have very similar effects to training at altitude.  Think about it for a minute.  At altitude the level of oxygen delivered by our blood to our muscles and organs is less because oxygen levels are lower at altitude.  The body responds to this by increasing our blood supply so we have more blood with which to deliver the oxygen.  Similarly in the heat, if a portion of blood supply is being diverted to the skin, that leaves less going to the muscles and organs and the body can respond to that over time by increasing our blood supply.  So altitude and heat may be two different ways to achieve the same beneficial adaptation (increased blood supply).  Additionally there is evidence that warm weather training increases our body’s efficiency at cooling itself, which has carry over benefits even when we are running/racing in cooler temperatures.  The less the body has to work to cool itself, the more blood available to transport oxygen to the muscles. 

Source: http://maximumperformancerunning.blogspot.ca/2013/05/training-in-summer-heathumidity.html

I think the idea makes sense, but I'm not sure if working out in the heat is worth it.

LRB

7.3 wet ass miles.

79 degrees

73 dew point

84 % humidity

By mile 4.5, I was fucking done.

on my way to badass

Some miles today on the mill in the basement.  Be safe everyone.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

bluerun

Super B****

5.75 ... they were indeed sticky and icky.  I'm shocked my HR was so low because I felt like I was sucking in moisture instead of air.

Still prefer that to freezing my ass off, though.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Docket_Rocket

What do you guys think of this?

Positive Effects of Heat Training 

So now that we have talked about the downside of training in the heat, let’s talk about the benefits.  There seems to be good evidence that training in the heat may have very similar effects to training at altitude.  Think about it for a minute.  At altitude the level of oxygen delivered by our blood to our muscles and organs is less because oxygen levels are lower at altitude.  The body responds to this by increasing our blood supply so we have more blood with which to deliver the oxygen.  Similarly in the heat, if a portion of blood supply is being diverted to the skin, that leaves less going to the muscles and organs and the body can respond to that over time by increasing our blood supply.  So altitude and heat may be two different ways to achieve the same beneficial adaptation (increased blood supply).  Additionally there is evidence that warm weather training increases our body’s efficiency at cooling itself, which has carry over benefits even when we are running/racing in cooler temperatures.  The less the body has to work to cool itself, the more blood available to transport oxygen to the muscles. 

Source: http://maximumperformancerunning.blogspot.ca/2013/05/training-in-summer-heathumidity.html

I think the idea makes sense, but I'm not sure if working out in the heat is worth it.

I trained for 10 years in the heat (90-100F) and never felt it benefited me in any cold race.  I think it helps if the race is as hot as your training but otherwise, it does not make you faster in the Fall.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I am working from home until the 5th, and today is day 1.  I have 8 miles with 6 X 400m tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

From the Internet.

6 easy miles done early this morning - heat and humidity are back, but it's still not terrible if I go out early enough, and there was a nice breeze off the lake too. At the dealer now waiting for an oil change and filters and whatnot for my old-lady station wagon. Nearing 130K miles now, and I need her to keep going for at least another year of highway commuting.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I FINALLY was able to get up and run this morning, my "The Rock" alarm went off at 3:55 AM and I looked around, everyone was out cold so I got up and got to business.

IT SUCKED SWEATY BALLS!!

Temperature was 79 degrees, humidity 89% and a dew point of 72 - no freaking wind and lots of sweat. Did I mention that it was just nasty to take my clothes off after this????? 

8 miles by myself, I was not about to take Jetta out in that.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

IT SUCKED SCHWEDDY BALLS!!

You say that like it's a bad thing.

11 wet ass miles.

But not because of heat/humidity, because of rain. And not a Seattle drizzle, this was serious rain. Soaked.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Well...... If I had that, then it would definitely not be a bad thing... Those balls look and sound tasty.....

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)