Beginners and Beyond

Brrr: Deep Freeze TuesDAILIES (Read 71 times)

B-Plus

Hi guys, we are also in the single digits here at 1 degree celcius. Brrrr!!! Lol.

I have 11 on tap for later.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

It's -27 here ("feels like"). WHAT?!!!Shocked RM23B, definitely time for you to move! Wink

Kay, careful you don't inadvertently injure something else by compensating for your foot!

With a feels like temp of -25 this morning   What?!!! Shocked  BruceD, do you live next door to Running Mom to 3 Boys? Wink  Welcome to the dailies!

I live at the top of a mini-mountain and my street faces north and is open to a huge river valley.  That sounds DANG cold in the winter, Just B.S!  Also sounds very scenic, would love to see photos of that.  Unless your mini-mountain happens to be a giant mountain of coal... Joking

Nice running for you, lilac!  Glad your ITB is behaving.

lol, Rick, love that photo!  That's me when it gets below 50 degrees here in San Antonio, lol.

Dang, I feel really guilty now, complaining that my 37 degrees for my 5K this Saturday is going to be cold, and then I read all the temps many of you are dealing with, sheesh!  So I'm giving myself the ole 'Suck it up, Buttercup!" line!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

StepbyStep-SH

6.5 easy miles on the indoor track at a steady 9:45 pace. Strength class went well for lower body, but I know my upper body needs to catch up, especially my shoulders. Then made two trips through at HuHot Mongolian Grill - really shouldn't need dinner tonight after that, but all those different veggies that I didn't have to wash and chop up were just too tough to resist (and the sauces are pretty good, too - love the Yellow Belly Curry and Thai Black Bean Peanut).

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Dear Mother Nature,

I am very disappointed that you do not have the common sense or compassion to register a positive temperature reading, even by the time I am ready for my lunchtime run. I don't even want to know what the windchill is. I am afraid I am going to have to go elsewhere to fulfill my needs today.

Ugh. 5.25 miles on the dreadmill. Looked so alluring sitting there in the warmth, but no staying power like the good old outdoors. Just need a few more degrees of temp and/or less wind, to get reunited with nature.

Dave

Code...Do you have set intervals for your fartlek, or just do true, random speed play?  Good luck getting it in.

SIAR: Thanks. As for what I do, it's not usually all that random.  I'm following hudson so he gives a little more specificity.  So today he has 8 miles easy w/ 6 x 35 sec @ 10-3k pace.  So I'll probably do the fartlek portion when the mile dings 1 through 6 or something like that. Doing it like that helps me from losing count.  I'm not sure if that's the ideal way to do fartleks, but that's how I've been doing them.

Dang, I feel really guilty now, complaining that my 37 degrees for my 5K this Saturday is going to be cold, and then I read all the temps many of you are dealing with, sheesh!  So I'm giving myself the ole 'Suck it up, Buttercup!" line!

Don't worry about it Scotty. We are living vicariously through you. Your temps today sounds so awesome.

StepbyStep-SH

SIAR: Thanks. As for what I do, it's not usually all that random.  I'm following hudson so he gives a little more specificity.  So today he has 8 miles easy w/ 6 x 35 sec @ 10-3k pace.  So I'll probably do the fartlek portion when the mile dings 1 through 6 or something like that. Doing it like that helps me from losing count.  I'm not sure if that's the ideal way to do fartleks, but that's how I've been doing them.

I'm the same way - I'll do the fartlek on the 5 and 10 minute marks or something similar. Sounds like there are quite a few of us following Hudson-esque plans.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I'm the same way - I'll do the fartlek on the 5 and 10 minute marks or something similar. Sounds like there are quite a few of us following Hudson-esque plans.

To you and CODE...Hudsoning here as well...I'm using Marathon Level 3, but adding mileage so that I'll peak closer to 100 miles (not sure if I'll get there or not). I've been using the rest portions to control what kind of intensity the fatlek is, but essentially doing what you guys are too to help keep track. I'd never do the truly random fartlek thing, it would just annoy me. This weekend I have 12x30sec fartlek in the middle of sn 18 miler - gonna need the tricks to keep track of that!

ETA really loving Hudson right now compared to how I did with Daniels.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

First time posting here. Last night's run was freezing, today I am focusing on getting at least 200 push ups in and whatever else I can fit in through out the day. Little butt thinks it's climb on mommy time when I get on the floor (love the lil monkey). I am supposed to run my 6 mile tempo run tomorrow but not sure if I can find someone to watch DS, I only trust a couple of people and they are all busy so I might just move it to Thursday and run my easy 5 miles Friday then my 9 mile long run Sunday. I am hoping to hit 25 miles this week but won't be too disappointed if I only make 20. Hopefully I'll have my warmer outfits by tomorrow, after last night's run I went online and bought

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-SMZBAL.html

and

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageWRA-SWXAMC.html

and this morning I went ahead and purchased

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpage-SUMVP12.html

and

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/descpageWRA-BWSBWT.html

I am hoping to have these by Thursday, so my next run will be much more comfortable.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I waited until the heat of the day to run. It was a nice, toasty 20F with a wind chill of 7F.  Semi-recovery day of 5 miles and the extra layer of clothing slowed me down anyway.It's supposed to warm up over the next few days and may reach 25F by Friday.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Free soul....wow, those are some serious tights! I hope it stays cold enough for you to get some good use out of them.

Wcrunner...share the heat, would ya? Sounds like a good mostly recovery run.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Welcome to the dailies, freesoul. Good luck getting your 200 pushups in.

Nevrgivup

Stopping in to say hi. School has gotten busy so I haven't been very active here. 4 miles recovery paced. Off to my third swimming lesson. It's so cold out, and so hard to imagine I'll be getting in a bathing suit soon. Warm hot chocolate and soup will hit the spot after.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

Just B.S.

6 miles done and I was over dressed and all sweaty when I got picked up by hubby

on his way home.

It was only a feels like of -13F because it wasn't as windy as predicted. I was dressed for

-20F.

Really looking forward to my swim tomorrow morning and time in the hot tub afterward!!

BruceD555

B-Plus: At 1C that sounds like shorts weather Big grin ... seriously. Hope you have an awesome 11 km or miles later on today.

scottydawg: Yep, RM23B are in the same state ... and don't say insanity.

StepbyStep-SH: Oh I want an indoor track too ... AND HuHot Mongolian Grill. You are one lucky woman!!

DaveP MI: Agree with you on the dreadmill ... finally got my run in as well. I actually went a bit longer than planned just to see if I could stand it for a full 10.

c0derunner: Sounds like you're not alone following Hudson plan. Interesting that he gives a bit of guidance for fartlek.

FreeSoul87: Hey, the little one is just trying to help make those push-ups harder ... help mommy get stronger Big grin. Good clothing makes ALL the difference in the world when you're running in the cold. It sounds like you had a fun spree online.

wcrunner2: You better make sure you hydrate in those temperatures ... I'd be sweating like crazy in positive temps.

Nevrgivup: Good job getting those recovery miles in!

Just B.S.: Being overdressed in the cold is the WORST.

Well, I got 10 TM miles in with 6@HM pace. (The 6 miles felt very easy so training seems to be going really well.)

Train smart ... race smarter.