Beginners and Beyond

Stress Fractured Tibia need help with XT (Read 37 times)

Hi All,

I haven't been posting in the Dailies lately but I think most of you know who I am. So my training was going really good. Super consistent mileage/ workouts...then one day (6 weeks ago) I get a little nagging feeling on my posterior tibia. This is after a really hilly run which may or may not have something to do with it...No big deal...I keep running. It progressively gets a little worse as the weeks go on but always goes away when I warm up. I race a 5k and match my PR. Couple weeks later I race a super hilly 5Mile race and post huge PR...I'm in the best shape ever! Except it hurts pretty bad when I stop racing. I take it easy all week and run a 12miler the following weekend with some pace work...thats it. Tons of pain post run. I take a week off. Resume some easy running. Its better but still just nags especially post run. There seems to be a distinct spot where it hurts when I press on it but really a SFX? Nah can't be Im still running. I race a 5k this past weekend and post a new PR but afterwards its toast. I can barely walk later that afternoon. I made an appointment with the ortho about 4 weeks ago (yeah 4 weeks to be seen!) so I saw him today. They did an X-ray which from my understanding doesn't usually show a SFX. He took one look at it and said "this isn't normal" As he showed it to me I could clearly see a break in the tibia. He's like 99% sure its a fracture but ordered an MRI which I will get in 2 weeks just to be absolutely certain. Good news is I can walk pain free so no boot! yay! Bad news is 6-8 wks no running. Really wish they would have seen me earlier but hey I was the one who made the decision to keep running.  Anyone here deal with a Tibia SFX?

He did say I can cycle all I want which is really my only option anyways. I don't have access to a pool so swimming is out. Now if this were like a 2 week recovery I would do same time scheduled to run = time spent on bike. Do something longer on the weekend and maybe some sort of Vo2max mid week on the bike. 6-8 weeks is a really long time. I know some (ok a lot) of  fitness will be lost but I want to minimize it as much as I can but I don't want to injure myself on the bike. (I will ride at gym). Is this a valid concern like doing too much too soon with an activity? Should I start with some 30min easy rides for a week or two or am I safe to jump right into equivalent running times? Im up for any advice you all have for me?

Thank You

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

RunningOnSand

I've not had a Stress fracture, so can't speak from personal advice, but a few of my friends have, and they said it did take awhile to heal. Play it easy and safe--what did your doc say about riding the stationary bike in the meantime? So sorry. Sad

Thanks ROS. I actually feel better now knowing what the  problem is. I was driving myself nuts thinking about what it could be and whether or not to run, take off, am I gonna be able to race...etc. Doc said ride the stationary bike as much as I want so that’s good. Just no impact activity

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Docket_Rocket

No advice, just wishing you a quick recovery. Sad

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Half Crazy K 2.0

No stress fracture experience, but would think you want to ease into the biking. Even though it is no impact, you can still get overuse injuries. Maybe also ask about the biking in the dailies--Baboon and Pleasantridge can probably give you some good advice.

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

I would ease into the pedaling for the first week.  If you can handle an hour at a time without getting too sore, then hammer away   if you aren't used to biking a lot, 4-5 hours in a week might hurt you a little.

Runner with a riding problem.

workinprogress11

I don’t have any advice on cross training but as the lucky recipient of both a pelvic and a metatarsal stress fracture I just want to share that both times after was given the green light to run again, the first couple of weeks the area still felt sore. The first time I thought that meant I was not ready, but apparently that is fairly normal.

Sorry you have to deal with this!

Cyberic

Sorry about your injury. Don't have any experience with stress fractures. Wish you a quick recovery.

KCRuns

I'm sorry to hear this, Jay!  My SIL had a stress fracture last year and took about 8 weeks to heal.  Follow your doctor's advice and you'll be back at it in no time.

“I don't have access to a pool so swimming is out”

If that were to change deep water running, with ‘pool shoes’, pool shoes adds lots of drag.

deep water running is cool to do in lakes even when not injured... I do it when I go to Maine in the summah, go out in the lake and run with the loons

Thanks for the well wishes 

Pleasantridge- I was hoping to hear from you. Thank you. I will follow that advice. I did 30mins this am. I may do 45 with some vo2max tomorrow, then try an hour ride later this week/weekend.

Jay, I'm so sorry man!  That sucks, but like you say, now you know and you aren't worrying constantly about what it could be.

I've done a whole lot of spin as replacement for running when injured, fitness wise it was one of the best things I've ever done.  My 1/2 PR is from the year I was running 5 days a week and doing 2-3 spin classes.  That said, I don't know if you remember my issue with TMTS spin... I can't remember if I got hurt or if I decided to take a week off running after a race, but I hit spin for 7 days straight.  My lungs and legs did just fine.  My ass did not.  I'll spare you details, but be sure you keep an eye on your butt skin if you ramp up time in the saddle super quickly.  I never expected it, so wasn't paying attention to preventative measures.  Don't make that mistake.  I still have scars.

You probably remember Coastal from RWOL BF, he is king of pool running.  It's a legit cross-training activity that (while boring AF) helps keep a lot of your fitness.

Remember all the elites we hear about who have SFX diagnoses, then they come back after rehab and slay all their previous PRs.  Long term this is a bump in the road.  But still, sending you lots of sympathy.

From the Internet.

That's a frustrating setback but you'll get through it!

I'm gonna third the rec for pool running (deep water with a flotation belt thingy) if your situation does change and you can get access to a pool - it's great because it's really *zero* impact and the recovery time from a hard workout is so minimal. I fractured my big toe summer of 2015 and my log from that time is a good solid 8 weeks of pool running. Ran a 5K PR shortly after I transitioned back to dry land again.

Thanks LM and Lauren. Yeah the pool running is out of the question. Sounds great though and very impressive setting a PR with it! My ass isn’t happy about the bike for sure LM and I will certainly watch out for any serious issues. I do remember when you had issues with that...ouch. I know my back does not like the bike either but I’ll survive. I appreciate the words of encouragement. Of course I’m crushed, there’s going to be a substantial fitness loss, the weather is getting nice...this is going to be tough but I know what I have to do and will rebuild and come back stronger than before. I also plan on seeing this places PT who specializes in running injures and analysis. I’ve had too many lower leg issues. Peroneal Tendonitis, posterior shin splint, and now a SFX. I’m doing something wrong. LM, you read Hudson....he swears by hill sprints for athletes who get injured. I’m thinking I will add these to my training for sure. Are you still doing these?

Half Crazy K 2.0

Jay, when I used to bike a lot in college, I did a lot of core work. The idea is it counteracts the forward lean you have when cycling.