Beginners and Beyond

Penguin's Eclipse Wednesdaily (Read 29 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Peeps.  Dentist for me today.  Possibly a short run when I get back.  Dentist is a runner so he'll go on about his injuries for about 15 minutes, then say "you can make another appointment in a week for another crown".

Zel, I'll have to read your RR novel at work.  At least I'll have something to do.

Have a great day !!!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Docket, what are you wearing Sunday, so we can spot you?

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 6 miles with 2 at MP.

Jerry, still not sure.  I have a couple of items but waiting for the forecast THAT KEEPS SHOWING 60% OF SHOWERS!  I'll send you the picture tomorrow or Friday when I finally decide.  Of course, it will be an inknburn top or SS.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Morning!  I have 6 miles with 2 at MP.

Jerry, still not sure.  I have a couple of items but waiting for the forecast THAT KEEPS SHOWING 60% OF SHOWERS!  I'll send you the picture tomorrow or Friday when I finally decide.  Of course, it will be an inknburn top or SS.

I think we'll recognize you anyway.  I'll let you know where we will be.

Docket_Rocket

I think we'll recognize you anyway.  I'll let you know where we will be.

Yes, please.  Can you have a Mountain Dew there for me?

I'll keep you posted.  Plan is for you to actually see me this time and for me not to have to DNF.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Quartet practice last night was good, but now I'm all confused because I think today ought to be Thursday, and it's only Wednesday.  Oh well, I'll figure it out at some point!  I called my doc to get an appointment for a checkup, figuring it would be next month sometime.  Nope, they're scheduling in December!  So that made me laugh.  Luckily there ain't much wrong with me!

Jerryb -- I did the dentist last week.  It sucked.  Hope your appt is easy!!

Docket -- have a good 6!!  I'm guessing you don't want rain?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

tracilynn

Morning Pengs!

Jerry and Damaris have fun at your FE!  My husband is addicted tp Mtn Dew.  is that your drink Damaris?

I ran 3 miles this morning and Im having pain in the arch of my right foot.  Is that PF?  Ive had "zingers" of pain in the arch of my right foot forever but last couple of runs Its starting to hurt pretty bad.  Ive had every other injury so Its fitting that I would get PF.  I thought PF was pain in the heel though.  I have no pain near the heel just whole arch and up to the ball of my foot.  Is that how PF starts?  UGHH  Im taking a week off.

Off to read ZEls RR and google arch pain

~~~~~~~

Traci

Zelanie

Traci- What I had that I think was PF was mostly in my heel.

SRD #3 for me.  And I am happy to have provided you all with something to read when work gets too boring.

Singer who runs a smidge

Cuboid syndrome?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Traci: Ice your arch and roll it with a golf ball. A frozen bottle of water also works for icing and rolling, but a golf ball really gets in there.

I never made it out to run last night. We went out to dinner with some friends after the XC meet and got home too late and I was knackered so I showered and went to bed. Today I am going to the LRS to pick his brain about shoes and injuries. I am not sure if I should go with a big support shoe or something more neutral. I have been wearing a neutral shoe but I don't know if that has contributed to my injuries. It's that whole "which came first" thing, the shoes or the injuries? Ugh... I just remembered that DW volunteered our house for a fundraiser tonight. It should give a good excuse to leave. DD2, the swimmer, is off to San Francisco for a four day science camp so my taxi service to swim practice is shut down.

Have a good day.

From the Internet.

Hi Pens.

Traci: Ice your arch and roll it with a golf ball. A frozen bottle of water also works for icing and rolling, but a golf ball really gets in there.

I never made it out to run last night. We went out to dinner with some friends after the XC meet and got home too late and I was knackered so I showered and went to bed. Today I am going to the LRS to pick his brain about shoes and injuries. I am not sure if I should go with a big support shoe or something more neutral. I have been wearing a neutral shoe but I don't know if that has contributed to my injuries. It's that whole "which came first" thing, the shoes or the injuries? Ugh... I just remembered that DW volunteered our house for a fundraiser tonight. It should give a good excuse to leave. DD2, the swimmer, is off to San Francisco for a four day science camp so my taxi service to swim practice is shut down.

Have a good day.

+1 to that - I've had achy arches every now and then, the frozen water bottle/golf ball combo always kills it for me - I've never had to take time off for it.

Running 3-4 miles in a few minutes - I'm getting hungry and I only brought post-run food to work today (beef/kidney bean chili or yogurt just before running? No thank you!) so I have to go soon!

tracilynn

I was planning to take 5 days off running anyway since I will be hiking lots on our smokies trip so this "injury" comes at a good time, I guess

I will roll with a frozen water bottle in the meantime.  Thanks y'all.  Really hope this is nothing

~~~~~~~

Traci

on my way to badass

Morning Penguins!

Jerry-Thanks for starting us off, sorry about the dentist.

DR- Oh I wish I had your fashion sense.

HsM- I always get confused if one thing changes up the weekly routine (holidays etc.)

Traci- I thought PF could manifest in the arch, but I am by no means, an expert or anything remotely approaching one.

Z-going to reread your RR.  Awesome job!

Jack- Good luck with the escape.

Lauren- enjoy the 3-4.

AFM- running during DS's soccer practice tonight I think.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Down to Fort Sam Houston this morning at 5:a m. and did 4 miles of hills.  Felt pretty good the whole way.  Lots of soldiers out doing individual runs and formation runs, so I had lots of company.   It can be very motivating running behind or alongside our Armed Forces people while they are running in formation and doing their cadence calls - what used to be known as 'jody calls' when I was in the military.  They can be pretty darn quick too, compared to a slow old dog like me, lol.  The couple of times I encountered them I got in a bit of speedwork trying to keep up with them.

Hope your dentist appointment goes well, Jerry, with no crown required.

Well, HsM, today is my Thursday and tomorrow is my Thriday.  Our department is in the process of moving to the main campus of the university, so tomorrow we will be packing up the final stuff for the movers, and our personal stuff to take home.  Then we have 'admin time' for Friday and next Monday - in other words, do a bit of work at home those days - since our new digs won't be ready until Tuesday, so makes for a nice long weekend.   Wow, no appointment until December, that is sad.   You don't  go to a VA doctor, do you?  No, probably not...if you did, you''d probably be waiting until Spring!  Which is also another sad situation.

I got some Mt Dew for you, Damaris!  That is what I drink too, but usually the diet stuff.  I usually have one with my lunch at work..and try to limit it to that...too much of that stuff can give you a buzz!   Good luck with your marathon!  Since it's on October 12, Columbus Day...maybe you will discover something on the route!  Like..discovering a $20 bill on the ground along the way..that would be good...

Enjoy your rest day, Melanie, you earned it!

Hope you get some good news from the LRS, Jack!   I run in neutral shoes too, the ASICS Nimbus.  I used to do 'the quest' for the perfect shoe and experimented with many models.  A few did work quite well, but the Nimbus always works GREAT for me.

Finally I gave myself a scolding:   "Look, idiot, why do you keep experimenting?  The Nimbus works.  If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it!"  So now I just stick with the Nimbus, have done so for years.   If ASICS ever discontinues the Nimbus - like Saucony did with my beloved Saucony Trigons, and now I hate Saucony company  - I am going to show up at their HQ and stand outside and protest - NEKKID!  The thought of the sight of THAT outside their office windows should be horrify them enough not to EVER discontinue my beloved Nimbus, lol.

Hope your miles went well, Lauren!

running during DS's soccer practice tonight.  StoneFence, watch out for big balls!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt