Beginners and Beyond

Are there any reasons NOT to buy race insurance? (Read 470 times)

After reading this article and this press release over the weekend about the NYC marathon, and while I'm in the process of filling out my deferral forms from runDisney, I'm wondering why this isn't a bigger thing. Is there anyone who wouldn't pay $7 or $8 extra to insure their race registrations/

sugnim

OK, I'll play.  Hurricanes don't happen at most races.  In fact, every race I've signed up for has gone just fine.  So, I probably would not buy the insurance.  If there were a major catastrophe that cancelled the race, I suppose I'd have more things to worry about than my entry fee.

Runshortii

I didn't even know there was such a thing. I live in the Midwest so I'm not too worried about hurricanes. Idk I've never had a problem with races being cancelled. Many of the races around here allow you to defer your registration to next year with a doctors note too.
        kbrks

That's it! I am starting an independent race entry fee insurance company. I'll charge a 5 dollar fee. I'll be a billionaire. Ha ha ha...muhahahaha. who wants to be on my executive team?
          wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

For destination races the registration fee is only a small portion of the entire expenses. It's not clear from the press release whether non-refundable travel expenses and and other costs related to the race and trip would also be covered as they would in traditional travel insurance policies.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

LRS

Chasing Muses

OK, I'll play.  Hurricanes don't happen at most races.  In fact, every race I've signed up for has gone just fine.  So, I probably would not buy the insurance.  If there were a major catastrophe that cancelled the race, I suppose I'd have more things to worry about than my entry fee.

This.

racecat

Goddess of the Cuisine

Only if it covers injury because that's normally why I'm unable to run a race.

In transit, arriving on time. 

monkkey

I definitely wouldn't.  I ran around 40 races this year.  I DNSed one due to oversleeping, but that's it.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Disclaimer: I have never done a destination race, nor have I ever entered a race that was in danger of selling out.

If there is any reason why I might not make the race, I just register race day (costs $5-10 extra).  Thats my insurance policy.

**Ask me about streaking**

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

I don't think I'd ever do race insurance.  Not much weather that stops runners and obviously the NYC marathon is still deciding what to do.  Seems like a waste of a couple bucks 99% of the time.  I'm a little frugal though with my money though...

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

GinnyinPA

Thanks to a pelvic stress fracture four days before my first HM, I was out $180 for two races last spring.  Neither was refundable or deferrable.  I am now really uncertain about signing up for future races that require prior registration, especially several months ahead of the event.  If a few dollars extra ensures that I can get a refund if I get injured again, I think it would be worth it.   As it is, I'm only likely to do races that I can register for the day of the race - which always costs more than early registration, if it is possible at all.

Runshortii

Thanks to a pelvic stress fracture four days before my first HM, I was out $180 for two races last spring.  Neither was refundable or deferrable.  I am now really uncertain about signing up for future races that require prior registration, especially several months ahead of the event.  If a few dollars extra ensures that I can get a refund if I get injured again, I think it would be worth it.   As it is, I'm only likely to do races that I can register for the day of the race - which always costs more than early registration, if it is possible at all.

Check what their policy is too. Around here a lot of the HMs and marathons that sell out in advance will defer your registration to next year if you have a doctors note
                          cmb4314

I'm not sure if I'd bother to buy it or not.  I don't know that it would be worth my time and energy to fight with the insurance people to get $50-100 back.  

In the event of a trip, the registration fee is such a minor component, that it would be the least of my worries.  

Also, if it is a minor injury keeping me out, like my ITBS flaring back up, I'd spend as much money to go to the doctor and get proof that I was injured as I would get back from the insurance.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Love the Half

The Boston Marathon, at $150, is the most I have ever plopped down for a race.  For the majority of my 5Ks, I just show up and sign up on race day.  I typically sign up for half marathons a couple of months out but I'd have to be seriously hurt not to be able to run 13.1 miles.  Unless the insurance covered me missing due to injury, I'll take my chances that a Hurricane (NYC) or a snow storm (Myrtle Beach a couple of years ago) won't roll through on race weekend.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

YAYpril - B-Plus

That's it! I am starting an independent race entry fee insurance company. I'll charge a 5 dollar fee. I'll be a billionaire. Ha ha ha...muhahahaha. who wants to be on my executive team?

I have my Pennsylvania Resident Insurance Producer License. We should talk. Wink