Beginners and Beyond

Monday Penguins (Read 17 times)

Jill.

Penguin Power!

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Hey Pens!  I had a non-running lazy person weekend.  My hammy was hurting pretty badly on Friday to the point that I was walking weirdly.  Anyway, took Saturday off intentionally and then yesterday I felt mostly better but took it off because hubby and I were drinking with lunch and I'm a light weight.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I had a lazy weekend as well -- it was chilly outside, cozy inside, and I was in need of quite a bit of catch-up sleep.  According to my level of doziness on my drive in this morning, I've still got some catching up to do, but I'm definitely in better shape than last week!  Part of it is that I'm still trying to ditch this cold that I've had for a month.  Blech!  Anyway, it's Monday, hope yours is as good as it can be!

Jill -- laughing at your reason for resting yesterday, but I'd be in the same boat!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 8 miles and Pilates tonight.

Jill, sorry about the hamstring.  If it continues, get it checked to confirm you didn't tore it.

HopesMom, sounds like a great weekend.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Mondays are usually my RD but with my schedule change I may move that to Wednesday. Got 4 done.

GinnyinPA

Jill - I hope the hamstring is feeling better today.  I have low alcohol tolerance so running after drinking would probably not work well for me either. I do love a beer afterwards though.

HopesMom - I hope getting some extra rest will help you finally get well.  That's much too long to be dealing wit ha cold.

D - good luck with the 8 tonight.  After yesterday's 20, that could be hard.  Great training though.

PAD - good work on the early four.

AFM:  I'm still stiff and sore from yesterday, so I'll probably just do a few easy miles this afternoon.

Zelanie

Just had the best run ever.  Well, in at least a month.  That Alter G thing is magical.  I ran a warmup at the student track, headed over to the Alter G, thinking I'd just take it easy, but at 80% was feeling good, so I did my strength workout.  Had time for 5 x 1 mile @ MP - 0:10 before my session was over.  Then I went and cooled down at the track.

The PT says my left leg crosses over and she suspects my hip is weak.  So I had to try to keep my feet apart when I run- feels like a waddle!  But apparently I'm landing hard on my left leg to compensate.  Went right home and did myrtls.  Will have to keep that up!

It's funny how 10 miles destroyed me on Sat and today's 9 with quality felt great.  We will have to see how I feel tomorrow.

Jill- Hope the hammy feels better today!

Singer who runs a smidge

Now all you have to do is run your next marathon with 50 helium balloons tied to your waist!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

Now all you have to do is run your next marathon with 50 helium balloons tied to your waist!!

Tempting!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Well I did run walk just in case -- didn't want to piss it off.  I felt fine though.  For every 5 minutes I ran I'd walk about 30 seconds.  I only did 3.2 miles, but baby steps.  I might do a bit more distance after work on the treadmill depending on if I'm meeting with my language exchange partner or not.  She lives in my building so we meet on Mondays or Tuesdays to practice speaking.  She's a native Chinese speaker so the extra practice with her is helpful.  Her English is nearly perfect, but she doesn't have many American friends to practice with and she doesn't speak English at her job so she doesn't want to lose her fluency.  It works out well for both of us :-)

GinnyinPA

I was still feeling sore from yesterday, so I went to town to run on the rail trail, which is very flat and only 1.5 miles.  By the end of the first mile, I was running normally, and when I hit the turnaround I decided to keep going through the college equestrian center and past a sustainable living center. I took a road I've never followed before just to see where it goes. At the top of a hill, I found a little single-track trail back down to the creek which I followed for about 1/2 mile.  Where I picked it up wasn't the end, so I'll have to see where it goes in the other direction.  I love it when I find new places to run, especially trails.