Beginners and Beyond

Looking for input on Incorporating Crossfit with Running (Read 118 times)

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

I've been considering joining a Crossfit gym thats close to me.  I see the workouts that are a part of crossfit and I'm convinced they would benefit my running...how could they not?

That said...If you look up Crossfit Endurance, these guys are convinced that you can be a competitive runner without running.  Militantly.  Like, don't you dare do a long run, that will subvert the Crossfit Endurance program.  I'm not sure if this is just one camp within the world of Crossfit or if this is a core belief for Crossfit.

To me (for what its worth) it just seems like Crossfit and running could easily be married so that they would produce strong runners...but not at all resembling what Crossfit Endurance advocates.  I think I could drink maybe 20% of the Crossfit Kool-aid and be a better runner for it.  After the spring race season I'm planning on talking to the Crossfit gym's owner/trainer and making sure it would be a good fit.

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on this?

**Ask me about streaking**

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

No advice but a Crossfit gym (or "box" is it called?) just opened a few blocks from my apartment this week and I have been curious myself. So I am going to check in on this thread in hopes someone has some advice. I have a few friends that do it, but they have drank too many gallons of Crossfit Koolaid to really give me a good, unbiased, comprehensive understanding of what exactly it is and if it is compatible with my running goals. For what it's worth though, a friend of mine who does Crossfit also runs a lot of races, but mostly obstacle races and races that are more "Fun-Ks" such as Color Runs, Electric Runs or whatever. She gave me a description of Crossfit that kind of scared me though lol. I can't find the exchange on facebook where we talked about it to quote it for you, but she made it sound like Crossfit is about pushing you very VERY hard. That makes me fear injury a bit. Looking forward to hear what people have to say!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Love the Half

You might want to read this first.

The Problem With Crossfit

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Ultra Cowboy

I know of one very good runner who incorporates CrossFit  Catra Corbett

LTH I love that article....

WYBMADIITY

Save

Hip Redux

I think in general cross-training is not a bad idea.  CF could certainly help overall fitness, if that's your goal, and maybe increase speed through muscle gains.  

That said, people who are on the CF Kool Aid are really fucking annoying.  (almost as annoying as runners... almost Big grin)  And that CF Endurance stuff about not running is baloney.

Whether or not the CF approach is your "thing" is a personal decision.  If you like it, great.  If you don't, you can find something else to cross train with running.

thekl0wn

Pigtail Connoisseur

You might want to read this first.

The Problem With Crossfit

There was a VERY important line in that article:  AS YOUR PRIMARY WORKOUT.

Yes, for a general workout, the idea behind Crossfit is great!  However, if you have specific goals, then your workouts should be tailored to those goals.  If you have additional energy, then Crossfit is a great way to use it up, but should never be your primary focus if you have goals.

Something witty

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Kristin - piggyback away!

LTH - I respect your opinions, but that article was not compelling (but was entertaining).

My responses

1. No issue doing group exercise.

2. I'm fine doing generalist cross training.  My running training would be my running training.

3. It is more expensive than most gym memberships.  My health insurance gives me $50 a month for gym membership.  The local crossfit gym charges $105/month for 2-3 workouts per week.  Final cost for me would be about $7 per class, which is reasonable for a coached workout.

4.  Kip pull-ups isn't a reason to discount a workout.  I won the pull-up contest in both the 4th and 5th grades doing kip pull-ups Big grin

5.  Incorrect use of a question mark.  Injury is my #1 concern and a very real reason not to do crossfit.  I don't know that there is much more of a chance of being injured than working out at a gym.

6.  I don't want anything to do with a "cult/religion" mentality.  If I get that vibe I'm outta there.

7.  I don't care who trademarks what.

Who is Hamilton Nolan and why do I care what he thinks.  I couldn't find any bio on him.

Rocky - daaaaanng

Orski - same experience with the kool-aid drinkers...major turnoff

Luke79

From the article:

You can't trademark working out, you fuckers. Doing burpees or overhead squats or 400 meter runs followed by handstand pushups does not mean you're "doing Crossfit." You're just working out. You don't own that shit. You bastards.

LMFAO.

Better I Leave

I won't do Crossfit. I will never recommend Crossfit to any of my clients. I will (and do) incorporate weightlifting and circuit training into a running regimen.

Better I Leave

6.  I don't want anything to do with a "cult/religion" mentality.  If I get that vibe I'm outta there.

Prepare yourself.

yeoldefatguy

The number one reason people who don't know shit about lifting, the body, or life should be teaching any type of exercise.

Plus they use some sort of rubber 10 pound weights instead of real wheels. Candyasses.

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Dave - I know you're a weight lifter...is your reason for not recommending crossfit the cult mentality stuff?  I've tried doing body weight routines at home but I don't stick with it...I don't have any "skin in the game" (costs me nothing, I can do it or not do it with no accountability).  I like the idea of getting some personalized attention, but I don't think I could afford a personal trainer.  Honestly the group exercises I've seen seem like more fun than working out by myself at home or at a gym.

yeolde - yikes...that was tough to watch.  Lesson learned: beware subpar trainers.  I think that probably carries over to any type of training you do.

Love the Half

Heh.  I like that article too.  Here is the reality.  What do you want to accomplish?  If what you want to accomplish is overall fitness, then do some pushups, some pullups, and some abdominal exercises along with at least 30 minutes of aerobic activity 5 days per week.  You will be a very healthy person and you'll save a bunch of money.  If what you want to do is run faster, then you need to spend your time running.  Unless your event is the 800 or shorter, then you are not maximizing your potential as a runner if you are putting in less than about 70 miles per week.  Period.  There is a reason you won't find professional runners or professional cyclists or professional swimmers doing Crossfit.  They are running or cycling or swimming.  Do they strength train?  Absolutely.  But all of their strength training is focused on helping them perform their one specific activity better.  They don't exercise just for overall fitness.

We have something called the "Charleston Distance Run" in my area every Labor Day weekend.  It's hot and hilly and it's 15 miles long.  It's a beast of a race.  Without fail, the Crossfit guys line up near the front and take off like bats out of hell.  Without fail, they fade horribly because their endurance sucks and their lack of experience in running shows up in their inability to pace themselves accurately for a difficult 15 mile race.  They do great until they find out that doing a bunch of jumps over obstacles doesn't train one to run up hills as well as, gasp, running up hills.

Again though, it all depends on your objectives.  If you like being with a group and you have the disposable income and your goal is overall fitness, then Crossfit will suit your needs nicely.  If your goal is overall fitness but you don't like groups or you'd rather spend your money in other places, then you can accomplish exactly the same things with pushups, pullups (real ones), and abdominal exercises.  If your goal is to run faster, then get your mileage up over 70 miles per week, do speed reps, VO2max intervals, tempo runs, marathon pace runs, progression runs, hard long runs, hill sprints, form drills, strides, etc. and incorporate targeted strength work focused primarily on your core.

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

Love the Half

The number one reason people who don't know shit about lifting, the body, or life should be teaching any type of exercise.

Plus they use some sort of rubber 10 pound weights instead of real wheels. Candyasses.

Yowser.  My neighbor does Crossfit and posts pics all the time of folks with weights above their heads and all I want to know is, "where the hell is the spotter?"

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

This just looks plain dangerous. This is kind of what I pictured when my friend attempted to describe Crossfit to me. I forsee myself getting injured in .23 seconds.

A husband of a friend of mine does Crossfit. Last Saturday his Facebook status was "My first 13.1 today!!!" I obviously wished him good luck at his first half marathon. I got back, "NOOOO it's NOT a half marathon lol I would NEVER do that! It's a Crossfit 13.1!!! Google it! It's a Crossfit thing..." I did Google it. This is what it is:

http://games.crossfit.com/workouts/the-open/2013#tabs-1

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to