Beginners and Beyond

Best way to increase next year's mileage without any injuries.......... (Read 560 times)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

FS87  - Many runners successfully complete marathons on programs like the one you've chosen. Many others complete the marathon but it's not a pleasant experience. Some never get to the starting line. With your past injury, which seems to be related to your LR on relatively low mileage, that's a factor you need to consider carefully. I'd suggest looking at training programs, e.g Hansons, that rely less on the long run and more on cumulative mileage. In the meantime, the sooner you can safely build your base and keep it at higher levels before formal marathon training, the better prepared you'll be. I'd much rather see you at 30-35 mpw by the beginning of May if possible, then have a solid 7-8 weeks at 35 +/- mpw with maybe an 8 and a 10-11 mile run weekly running 5 days a week instead of a 13-15 mile LR and a bunch of shorter runs.

I do like your idea, the only possible issue will be someone to watch my son. The only two people I trust are DH and my mother, and right now and through early next year DH will be hard at work keeping our business going strong and I just hate asking my mother to watch DS almost everyday. Sometimes (like my last 2 runs) I'll run after 10 p.m when DH is home and DS goes down for the night (he will wake up almost as soon as I leave.... oh the woes of separation anxiety) or like Friday morning's 2 a.m run but my son did wake up 25 minutes later and had his father up. My son will be turning 1 April 13 next year, hopefully his separation anxiety will be somewhat gone and he'll be sleeping more through the night by next spring (teething now is really hard on him and me). I don't want another set back or injury, no matter how much I want this marathon..... I was stubborn in 2010 and injured my IT band from too much too soon and too often, other than pregnancy 2011 was a great year, 2012 I stubbornly increased mileage when I shouldn't have and barely made it to the HM starting line. I can't promise you or myself 5 days of running a week, but MAYBE 4 for darn sure, but if the opportunity of a 5th day shows itself I will take it (this all being around May, not now). 
        I think I will take heed of ya'll's warnings and experience, and instead of doing the FM this year I will aim for building my mileage and running days from 3 or 4 to 4 or 5 and at least 4 Half Marathons. Instead of the Full, I will sign up for the HM.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Freesoul,

I'm a firm believer that the only sure way of not reaching a goal is to never set out to achieve it.

You sound like you have a lot of determination and that will go a long way.

Just for chuckles, I went back to my old paper log books, and entered all the data for the 17 weeks prior to my first marathon.  That was back in 1981.  What I found was that I did everything wrong.  My workouts were too fast, some of my long runs were 60 to 70% of my total weekly miles, and I averaged 33 miles per week, with a low of 12 and a high of 60.  The end result was a 3:01:31 personal best, never to be matched again.  (I have a report in my log that shows the weekly mileage)

Do I recommend this training plan?  Never!  Let me repeat - never!  But what it does show is that you can't count anything out.

Your 18 week training plan is an average of almost 40 miles per week, and the ramp up to that 18 week plan looks doable - of course that all depends on no curves in the road - like injury or illness that would sideline you for long periods.  As for getting there off of the current base (or lack thereof) that you have, well using the conservative increase of no more than 10% per week, it only takes 10 weeks to go from 20 miles to 50 miles - so no problem there.

Good luck as you move towards your goal.

Thanks, though I do have some time to think about it, I just don't think I will have the time to dedicate what is needed to train for a full next year. Maybe 2014....... who knows but my last 2 Halves have had something going on, 2011 I ran it with the annoying sensation of having to pee the whole time thanks to my darling angel shoving himself on my bladder from the end of the 1st trimester and on, believe me that sensation will slow you down if you fear of peeing all over yourself. 2012 I injured myself and forced my body through the whole 13.1 miles at a pace 1 minute per mile slower than I wanted. 2013 will be different though, I am very optimistic about my HM in April and I know as long as no injuries or anything else occur, October's HM I will beat my time by at least 10 - 15 minutes. Not sure aabout the Flying Pig Half in May though....  I don't particularly care for heat unless I can run half naked (and I just might).

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

MrNamtor

If it makes you feel any better -  and i'm not sure it will, or if you even feel bad to begin with - I'm one person who has no intention of ever running a marathon.

I've been running 35-40 mpw since last April, and I feel amazing.  HM level of fitness is a great level that is healthy and so far, for me, injury free.  This level of fitness is also great if you're a cross trainer and involved in other athletics and are not focused solely on running.

I admire people who run marathons, and i think it's great for many people who really enjoy it and are highly motivated to do it,  but I don't subscribe to the idea that one must do this or that it's any kind of credential to being a "real runner" or whatever.  Getting faster at the 5k, 10k, hm, etc, is just as worthy a goal as training for marathons.

RSX

I do like your idea, the only possible issue will be someone to watch my son. The only two people I trust are DH and my mother, and right now and through early next year DH will be hard at work keeping our business going strong and I just hate asking my mother to watch DS almost everyday. Sometimes (like my last 2 runs) I'll run after 10 p.m when DH is home and DS goes down for the night (he will wake up almost as soon as I leave.... oh the woes of separation anxiety) or like Friday morning's 2 a.m run but my son did wake up 25 minutes later and had his father up. My son will be turning 1 April 13 next year, hopefully his separation anxiety will be somewhat gone and he'll be sleeping more through the night by next spring (teething now is really hard on him and me). I don't want another set back or injury, no matter how much I want this marathon..... I was stubborn in 2010 and injured my IT band from too much too soon and too often, other than pregnancy 2011 was a great year, 2012 I stubbornly increased mileage when I shouldn't have and barely made it to the HM starting line. I can't promise you or myself 5 days of running a week, but MAYBE 4 for darn sure, but if the opportunity of a 5th day shows itself I will take it (this all being around May, not now). 
              I think I will take heed of ya'll's warnings and experience, and instead of doing the FM this year I will aim for building my mileage and running days from 3 or 4 to 4 or 5 and at least 4 Half Marathons. Instead of the Full, I will sign up for the HM.

Having young kids makes it tougher. When my kids were little I started running at 5am and became an early morning runner from that point on but I'm a guy. It didn't matter if I did those runs solo or in a group. Do the best you can and run the marathon if it works out. Go for time and all that in the future when things change.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I don't really feel "bad", I just got myself amped up on the idea of running the 26.2 miles to celebrate turning 26 years old the day after the race........ but oh well, in all honesty I can look forward to improving my HM time along with my 5k, 10k and what not instead. I'll make my 2013 goal/resolution to reach 5 days of running by Fall (if not sooner) and running 30-40 miles a week. BUT my main goal will be to keep increasing my mileage and running days without injury.

RSX, kids definitely make it tougher, even just one. DH was going to kill me Friday morning when I went for my 5 miler at 2 in the morning, I had put my son in his crib, he was in a deep sleep so I figured I'd sneak my run in. I come home 52 minutes later and I can hear him whining and whimpering. DH had him in bed with him, and neither were happy with me.

PRs

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

As for getting there off of the current base (or lack thereof) that you have, well using the conservative increase of no more than 10% per week, it only takes 10 weeks to go from 20 miles to 50 miles - so no problem there.

That's a good example of why the 10% Rule as commonly applied is NOT conservative. Going from 20 to 50 mpw in 10 weeks is a rather aggressive schedule. Increasing 10% one week, then taking 2-3 weeks to adapt to the new mileage levels before another increase would be conservative - and safer.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

MrNamtor

I don't really feel "bad", I just got myself amped up on the idea of running the 26.2 miles to celebrate turning 26 years old the day after the race........

Well, if that is really what you want to do, it is totally doable. You've been running for several years, your injuries are healed, and you've already run a half. Even though your mileage has historically been low, this is no reason to believe you couldn't run a great marathon in 2013. I was just saying that you shouldn't necessarily feel that marathon running was THE thing to do if you're a runner.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

wcrunner2, so going from what you said, is going from 61ish miles last month to 81 miles this month okay? Does it help if I stick within range of 75-80 next month and possibly February before increasing?

MrNamtor, no I don't feel that I must do a marathon, actually as I started running in 2010 I only had my eyes set on HMs, but got excited at the thought of doing a full as a birthday celebration, just one time with no intentions of more. Eh, who knows what the future holds.... I just don't want it to hold more injuries and at the very least no more pregnancies for the next 3 to 5 years if I do in fact decide to have another.

PRs

MrNamtor

That's a good example of why the 10% Rule as commonly applied is NOT conservative. Going from 20 to 50 mpw in 10 weeks is a rather aggressive schedule. Increasing 10% one week, then taking 2-3 weeks to adapt to the new mileage levels before another increase would be conservative - and safer.

Do you think that the 10% rule should also take into account the quantities at hand? I mean, if you're running low mileage, should you be able to increase MORE than 10%, and with high mileage (like 90 mpw)  increase by LESS than 10%?

MrNamtor

I don't feel that I must do a marathon

No, I know. I know it was the 26 thing (which is actually kind of cool). I was just speaking about how it seems many people feel in general, not about you really.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

True, I think a lot of people feel that if they are going to be runners they must run a full.... for me 13.1 miles is a good amount on the road but I do love the idea of those trail ultras but I do love trail running anyways.... makes me forget that I am human when out there.

PRs

MrNamtor

yeah i've been doing like these sometimes 2 hour slow runs through the streets of chicago. After a while it feels less like a run and more like I'm some kind of renegade loping around the streets. I like trails and mountains but lately i've been kind of city bound.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

wcrunner2, so going from what you said, is going from 61ish miles last month to 81 miles this month okay? Does it help if I stick within range of 75-80 next month and possibly February before increasing?

MrNamtor, no I don't feel that I must do a marathon, actually as I started running in 2010 I only had my eyes set on HMs, but got excited at the thought of doing a full as a birthday celebration, just one time with no intentions of more. Eh, who knows what the future holds.... I just don't want it to hold more injuries and at the very least no more pregnancies for the next 3 to 5 years if I do in fact decide to have another.

Month over month comparisons are harder to make. Some of it depends on when you make the increases and how much they are. 10% is a safe estimate for most runners, but I've seen runners make increases of 20% or more, but then hold that level for 3-4 weeks. Others have to limit their increases to 3-5%. It varies a lot when looking at individuals. I've been very conservative in my increases this year yet I have month-to-month increases from 81 to 109 and later in the year from 106 to 132, both comparable to  an increase from 61 to 81 miles. I took 5 months to go from 17 to 31 mpw. I'm currently holding steady there as I get ready to introduce more speedwork. My increases for the next 2-3 months will be minimal before I begin training for a fall ultra. Part of the key for me is to not let any single workout, whether LR or intervals, become dominant. I think I have only 1 double-digit run for the entire year but I've had quite a few weeks with 2-3 runs of 7-9 miles.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

No more marathons

The 10% "rule" was, I believe, started by Mr. Jack Danials (or if not he, then someone of his same caliber) who was asked by a reporter what was a reasonable amount to increase training.  His first reply was along the lines of I have no idea, at which point the reporter said would 10% be reasonable, to which he replied, yes.  And so a rule was made.

Personally I don't think it has any merit whatsoever.  Each of us has to pay attention to what our bodies are telling us everyday we go out to run.  If you pay attention, and ease off when your body gives you the sign, then the likelyhood of injury goes down.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

No more marathons

If it makes you feel any better -  and i'm not sure it will, or if you even feel bad to begin with - I'm one person who has no intention of ever running a marathon.

I've been running 35-40 mpw since last April, and I feel amazing.  HM level of fitness is a great level that is healthy and so far, for me, injury free.  This level of fitness is also great if you're a cross trainer and involved in other athletics and are not focused solely on running.

I admire people who run marathons, and i think it's great for many people who really enjoy it and are highly motivated to do it,  but I don't subscribe to the idea that one must do this or that it's any kind of credential to being a "real runner" or whatever.  Getting faster at the 5k, 10k, hm, etc, is just as worthy a goal as training for marathons.

+1 - I was quite happy with 5k and 10k until my DS went and qualified for Boston.  Made me want to do the same.  Have one more marathon that I signed up for in a weak moment, and then Boston in 2014.  After that, I'm quite happy with the middle distances.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!