Beginners and Beyond

Tower of Terror 10 Mile Race report - I ran and had fun (Read 76 times)

delicate flower

DW and I ran a Disney race a few days ago.  THAT'S RIGHT.  I know folks have their opinions about Disney races, but I had an absolute blast running this thing.  This report is more about the experience than my race performance.  I ran well, but the overall experience was a whole lot of fun.

Finished in 1:12:36 (7:16 pace...10.11 miles according to my never-wrong Garmin)

OA 82 out of 9389

AG 10 out of 499

Me, DW, and our friend Kathy did this race because Kathy wanted to.  She is a new runner who had never run 10 miles, has a Disney Vacation Club membership that she lets us mooch so we don't pay for lodging, and we like going to Disney World.  So we sort of had to do this race.  We spent an entire week walking around the parks every day leading into the race, some 6-8 hours and 7-10 miles a day according to Kathy's Vivofit.  I also ran every day, not huge mileage but 35 miles total.  All that walking plus the running meant I ran this race on TIRED legs.  I only ran 35 miles, but it honestly felt like an 80 mile week between the running and walking.  Going into the race, I expected to run it around an 8:00 pace.  All my runs during the week were hot, humid, slow, and sluggish.  I had no reason to think the race would be any different.

Indeed, as expected, there were a lot of people at the Holllywood Studios starting area.  The race started at 10:00 PM.  We got there at 8:00 ahead of the crowds, which means we got to use the portapotties a couple of times and find a place to sit.  We met up with Docket_Rocket and her husband.  Very cool to finally meet them!  We chatted for about 30 minutes before heading to our corrals at 9:15.  I got seeded in the A-corral, right up front, based on my HM time.  DW started in the last corral, the J-corral, BY CHOICE.  Big grin  She ran with Kathy, who got seeded there because she didn't have a 10+ mile race to qualify for seeding.  DW wore a Peter Pan outfit, homemade by her cousin with tech material.  She looked great.  Smile

At 9:45, the A-corral began the half mile march to the starting line, to the cheers of the other runners ("Go get 'em, A-corral!")  That was COOL.  I was lined up about 10 rows back in the 9400 person field.  Seeing all those runners lined up behind me was quite a sight.  After a pep talk from Jeff Galloway, some jokes by the emcee at the expense of the A-corral (we can take it Big grin ), and the national anthem, we were off.  By some miracle of nature, the awful humid 90 degree weather we had all week broke on Saturday, and it was a comfortable (for Florida) 60 degrees at the start.  No sun, because it was 10:00 at night.

I didn't know how my tired legs would respond even as the race started.  I was prepared to jog 10 miles.  Turns out I felt ok though.  Not real crowded either.  I was expecting an ocean of people.  I had been a lot more crowded than this in local races.  A quarter mile in, I had all the room I needed.

1 - 7:09

2 - 6:59

3 - 7:01

4 - 7:05

I swear I was "just running" these first four miles, enjoying the roadside entertainment of characters, DJ's, and Tower of Terror themed scenes.  There were not many people around me.  I was mostly alone running through the well-stocked water stations.  I was well aware of my pace but just running by feel.  With an important HM in a week, I didn't want to trash my legs.  Every now and then, a runner would dart over to a character for a quick photo before darting back into the race.  I thought about it, but cared more about the run than the photo ops.  The course looped through the Animal Kingdom entrance and back out, at which point I got my first glimpse of the field behind me.  WHOA.  Now I know why these Disney races have a crowded reputation.  People were lined up at portapotties, gathered around characters for photos, and running shoulder to shoulder, heel to heel.  Glad that wasn't me.

5 - 7:14

6 - 7:07

7 - 7:20

At mile 5, you bank a right onto a dirt road through some woods that were all decked out in spooky lights, music, and fog.  Pretty cool stuff.  Being a racer though, I was more concerned about keeping my footing and watching for holes and rocks on the road.  As usual, I slow down on dirt roads.  The next couple of miles goes through the Wide World of Sports Complex, around the ball fields and track.  Lots of spectators here and a lot more characters and spooky themed scenery and music.  I've never looked around at my surroundings so much during a race.  I had so few people around me that I was worried about losing sight of the guy in front of me.  I was using him to know when to turn.  The course was well marked, but watching a body in front of me is easier than looking for cones, arrows, and ropes.  At mile 7.5, we're dumped back onto the main road.

8 - 7:13

9 - 7:27

10 - 7:26

I dialed it back a bit the last few miles.  I was starting to get hot and tired and felt no need to push hard.  The course reenters Hollywood Studios at mile 8.5, and being familiar with the park, I was wondering how the heck they were going to squeeze another 1.5 miles into this race.  They managed, by lots of turns.  I didn't feel like my pace slipped that much even when backing off, but I credit all the turns for that.  The course wound through the park, past the stunt show and the Sorcerer's hat and along the backlot tour route, with lots of spectators cheering and people shouting my name thanks to the bib.  As I approached the finish line behind the Tower of Terror with nobody around me, I heard the announcer say the top 10 women were still coming in and I thought "Huh, I must have done well."  Then I heard my name announced correctly, amazingly enough.  The clock read 1:12, I crossed the finish line, stopped the Garmin, and thought that went MUCH better than expected.  I'm usually pretty tired after a race, but I chatting with other runners, bouncing around high fiving volunteers, and getting my photo taken by every event photographer I saw.  Being the generally happy and positive guy that I am, I was really soaking in the positive vibes here.  I can see why so many people who enjoy the rah-rah positive energy are attracted to the Disney races.  And the medal is certainly the coolest one I own now.

I grabbed my food box and changed into dry clothes, then waited for DW and Kathy to finish.  Holy cow were there a lot of runners coming in.  I spotted the two of them but was too busy stuffing my fat face to take any pictures.  Knowing they had about a mile left, I waited to hear from them.  DW texted me that they finished.  Kathy was a trooper and gave that 10 miles her max effort, and she paid the price for it.  If you've ever felt sick and nauseous after a long race, she had that.  Not fun.  It took a couple hours of sitting and visiting the medical tent before she was ready to head back to our room.  DW pretty much jogged the 10 miles.

So yeah, we had fun.  I'll never be someone who does a lot of Disney races.  They are still expensive and require travel.  We go down there anyway though, and I'm sure we'll schedule more trips around race weekends.   Also, it would appear I place well, so there is that.  

I didn't expect to write such a long report for a 10 mile race, but it just sort of happened.  Big grin  I've got lots of pics but can not access them easily right now.  I do wonder how much all that walking plus running during the week affected my performance.  I wish I could quantify that.  I've got a HM this Saturday.  I should be recovered by then...

<3

Did you wear your Mickey Mouse ears?

MTA: Nice race. I'm looking forward to your marathon report.

Nice race. Pretty cool to get the Fuzzy treatment! Very impressive placing in such a large field, especially considering your state of fatigue going in & the fact you didn't race it all out. Eyes on the prize now.

Dave

Sounds like a fun race. Great job! Especially for "just running." Big grin I hope you post a picture of the medal. I love me some bling. Smile

5k - 25:15 (11/18/12)

10k - 1:01:51 (2/14/15)

10mi - 1:33:18 (3/2/14)

HM - 2:06:12 (3/24/13)

Upcoming Races:

Benched until further notice. :/

Everything you need is already inside. [[Bill Bowerman]]

happylily

Great speed for tired legs! Congratulations! And it sounds like a really fun race. Your wife is a sweetie for running with your friend Kathy. Congrats to them both, as well!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

A few pics I took with my phone.  This was the first race in which I carried my phone with me.  I didn't want to check it.  I took lots of pics before and after the race, but it stayed zipped in my nifty new waterproof SpiBelt during the race.  Bought it at the expo.

Cutest Peter Pan in history!

Me, DW, Kathy.  Glad we got to these pre-race photos spots early before the ridiculously long lines formed.

Portapotties when we arrived.  Glorious.

Portapotties 90 minutes later, in the dark and out of paper.

View from the A-corral, before being marched to the start.  I'm looking back across the other corrals here.

Selfie from the starting line.  The banner is just before the line.  As you can see, I was pretty far up.

The bling.  The elevator moves up and down.  Smile  Also, the event tech shirt, not seen here, glows in the dark.

Marathonfoto got about 30 pictures of me, one of the advantages of running up front.  Some of the pics are pretty good too, those bastards.

<3

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Nice race, see what happens when you just let your body go.  You really have turned into a good, and I mean good runner and it is fun to see your paces improve regularly.  Now enough gushing, drop the pixie dust and get some hard final runs before Philly.

I was in Disney the week before you, and I also stayed at Old Key West.  That is our timeshare resort although this time we stacked 2 nights at the Grand Floridian Villas prior to OKW.  I also ran there, it was a sweaty mess.  Have you run on the nature trail between Saratoga and OKW.  I usually loop around OKW, then out onto the trail, head into SS, then pass the golf course and into Downtown Disney.  Kinda fun to run the shops when no one is there, then a big loop in the parking lot and back.  I tried to run around SS but as I came up to a guard stand the security guy wanted to scan my magic band.  I am like "WTF dude, I'm running, sweating and don't have time to chat".  He yells at me and says he will call for security if I continue into the complex.  I give him the 1 finger salute (in front of me and he was behind so he doesn't see it, yes I am kind to folks), turn around and tell him I will just use the open back entrance.  About 3/4 mile later I run by the inside of his guard station and shout "good morning" loud enough so that he notices me from inside is shack, I smile and then continue on my loop around SS.

Maybe we get to meet in Philly, I have that on my schedule and it is less than 6 weeks to go!

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

The course looped through the Animal Kingdom entrance and back out, at which point I got my first glimpse of the field behind me.  WHOA.  Now I know why these Disney races have a crowded reputation.  People were lined up at portapotties, gathered around characters for photos, and running shoulder to shoulder, heel to heel.  Glad that wasn't me.

unfortunately, that was ME.  Phil and I had entirely different race experiences.  That's not to say I didn't have fun - because it was still a blast - I just wish I didn't have to bob and weave between so many walkers.

delicate flower

Nice race, see what happens when you just let your body go.  You really have turned into a good, and I mean good runner and it is fun to see your paces improve regularly.  Now enough gushing, drop the pixie dust and get some hard final runs before Philly.

I was in Disney the week before you, and I also stayed at Old Key West.  That is our timeshare resort although this time we stacked 2 nights at the Grand Floridian Villas prior to OKW.  I also ran there, it was a sweaty mess.  Have you run on the nature trail between Saratoga and OKW.  I usually loop around OKW, then out onto the trail, head into SS, then pass the golf course and into Downtown Disney.  Kinda fun to run the shops when no one is there, then a big loop in the parking lot and back.  I tried to run around SS but as I came up to a guard stand the security guy wanted to scan my magic band.  I am like "WTF dude, I'm running, sweating and don't have time to chat".  He yells at me and says he will call for security if I continue into the complex.  I give him the 1 finger salute (in front of me and he was behind so he doesn't see it, yes I am kind to folks), turn around and tell him I will just use the open back entrance.  About 3/4 mile later I run by the inside of his guard station and shout "good morning" loud enough so that he notices me from inside is shack, I smile and then continue on my loop around SS.

Maybe we get to meet in Philly, I have that on my schedule and it is less than 6 weeks to go!

HA, that's funny about the guard.  We did run on the nature trail and into SS but didn't get yelled at by anyone.  Smile  I did most of my running in the early morning hours before sunrise...brought my knuckle lights.  Up at 5:30 and done by 7:00.  All of my runs were looping around OKW multiple times and running around SS.  I tried to run over to Downtown early Monday morning.  It is a construction work site during off hours.  Everyone had a hard hat except me and I got some looks.  I got the hell out of there and didn't try again.  I'd have tried around 8:00 when Downtown officially opens, but by 8:00 we're on our way to a park.

We've stayed at the Animal Kingdon Kidani Village a couple of times.  Nowhere to run there.

Yep...Philly.  After my HM this Saturday, I've got three peak weeks to tackle.  Bring 'em on.

<3

shu_runner

Fun report, Baboon!  I love your wife's peter pan costume.  

GinnyinPA

Great race report.  I hope your HM next weekend goes as well.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

That is pretty cool, Baboon. Working a race in on a vacation is fun.

a) Great time on tired legs and you even dialed back the last few miles.

b) that is a lot o' porto potties

c) are Disney races really a mass of humanity?

d) you should have been Tinkerbell, or at least one of the Lost Boys, to go with Peter Pan.

Good times!

Docket_Rocket

Nice job!  It was a pleasure meeting you and MBC (and Kathy, as well).  Lots of fun.

Your description explains why I like Disney races.  I don't like Disney, but their races are well organized and are close enough to where we live that we can go run in much cooler weather than down here.  In fact, that was fucking chilly!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

delicate flower

c) are Disney races really a mass of humanity?

I tell ya, I found it fascinating as I sat there after the race at mile 9, chomping down on my post-race snacks with drink, watching those slower runners finish.  It was like watching the walking dead.  I've never just sat there and observed like that before.  There was no music or entertainment at that spot, just the sounds of footsteps, hard breathing, and grunting.  I was clapping for them and trying to be encouraging between tortilla chips, but for the life of me I could not yell "Almost there", because with a mile to go, that is not almost there.  But damn, a lot of those runners were in some pain.

<3

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Congrats on your race, Baboon, and to your DW too. Sorry about your friend not feeling so well post-race.

At your speedy pace, I don't see how you could take the time to look around!   That pace, everything would be a blur for me!  I'd be one of those in that 'shoulder to shoulder' pack, lol.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt