Beginners and Beyond

Friday Penguins are figuring out the unknown!! (Read 11 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

So I have two samples from this guy, from Streptococcus.  I ran the first sample yesterday and did the analysis, looking for Streptococcus.  But it seems that's not what it is.  It's also not human, E. coli, or yeast.  So I'm downloading a huge database of pretty much everything, so I can figure out what this stuff is!!  Clearly their experiment is no good, if it's not Streptococcus, but I'm sure they would appreciate knowing what their cell line is contaminated with.

Woo-hoo for Friday!!  Anybody got interesting weekend plans?  Races?  Fun stuff?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I am finally working from home for the next two weeks and I missed it.  Have 8 miles with 6 X 400 intervals tonight.  Hubby is much better today.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Glad to hear hubby is doing so well!!  Enjoy working from home ... there's no way I could do that, both with the type of job I have, and with my ... er ... complete lack of discipline. 

Singer who runs a smidge

Oh, and an interesting story.  I bought a Roomba on Amazon Prime Day (yeah, I know, completely suckered in), and it came on Tuesday.  We've since used it in the bedroom three times, ending up with a massive shitgob of mostly pet hair each time.  I was floored (see what I did there?) by how much stuff it picked up!!  Also, it's kind of amazing that we vacuumed anything three times in three days.  So far, the best thing about it is the fact that it reaches under the bed!!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Oh, and an interesting story.  I bought a Roomba on Amazon Prime Day (yeah, I know, completely suckered in), and it came on Tuesday.  We've since used it in the bedroom three times, ending up with a massive shitgob of mostly pet hair each time.  I was floored (see what I did there?) by how much stuff it picked up!!  Also, it's kind of amazing that we vacuumed anything three times in three days.  So far, the best thing about it is the fact that it reaches under the bed!!

I love my roomba Smile

I should run today. Instead I slept in and managed to burn myself while cooking breakfast.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

So I have two samples from this guy, from Streptococcus.  I ran the first sample yesterday and did the analysis, looking for Streptococcus.  But it seems that's not what it is.  It's also not human, E. coli, or yeast.  So I'm downloading a huge database of pretty much everything, so I can figure out what this stuff is!!  Clearly their experiment is no good, if it's not Streptococcus, but I'm sure they would appreciate knowing what their cell line is contaminated with.

Woo-hoo for Friday!!  Anybody got interesting weekend plans?  Races?  Fun stuff?

You do mass spec right? Is the database search automated in any way?

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

3.2 miles done in McAllister Park, San Antonio, a park quite close to my house.  Did my run/walk at 7:30 pm. It was still warm at 94 degrees and 101 heat index.  Thankfully the paved trails we did had lots of shade.   This was a group run - some of us went 3, some went 6, some went other distances -  and a birthday party for one of our fellow runners so after we got back to the park pavilion we enjoyed cold beer and water, and various grilled items like chicken, beef kabobs, veggie kabobs, beans, potato salad, cookies, and birthday cake.   Good times with friends.  Big grin

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

You do mass spec right? Is the database search automated in any way?

Yes, thankfully.  I pulled down all of Uniprot's SwissProt entries and searched against that, and still got basically nothing.  I diluted the hell out of the sample, figuring maybe it was just overloading the column ... but I'm not having much luck figuring out the unknown!!

Tremble is next.  Although it's huge.  6.5 GB.  Which is nothing to NCBI's non-redundant database, which was 44 GB last time I looked (last year some time).  A database that big really isn't usable at all.

Singer who runs a smidge

3.2 miles done in McAllister Park, San Antonio, a park quite close to my house.  Did my run/walk at 7:30 pm. It was still warm at 94 degrees and 101 heat index.  Thankfully the paved trails we did had lots of shade.   This was a group run - some of us went 3, some went 6, some went other distances -  and a birthday party for one of our fellow runners so after we got back to the park pavilion we enjoyed cold beer and water, and various grilled items like chicken, beef kabobs, veggie kabobs, beans, potato salad, cookies, and birthday cake.   Good times with friends.  Big grin

Sounds like a great run/party!!