Beginners and Beyond

Thursday Penguins are Fortunate! (Read 15 times)

Zelanie

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Zelanie

I went out to lunch yesterday with my boss and a consultant who works with us.  I was the first to open my fortune cookie, and what did it say?  "You will soon change your line of work."  Haha!  A little specific, yes?  Especially when you're at a work lunch!   Everybody else had sort of normal, boring fortunes.

So, what's your fortune, penguins?

PS- Running- Went to the track last night and ran a little baby track workout because I was late and the lights were set to turn off at 7 so the group was leaving before then.  It was good to see everybody and catch up.  I can't do the social run on Thursdays because that's now the Weight Watchers meeting that I will be leading (tonight is my first one!).  So my track time will also be my social time.  Tonight I will run some amount of miles to keep my streak going.  My miles are going to be way down this week, it's been busy, but my legs are feeling much better.

Singer who runs a smidge

Hey Penguins!!  I stayed home yesterday to cough and sniffle, and although I went to the chorus gig last night, I didn't sing.  But I'm fixing to put on my makeup for a quartet gig, gotta hit the road in about half an hour!!  Then I have chorus rehearsal tonight (remains to be seen whether I can sing or not) and thankfully, not another gig until Sunday!!  I'm feeling a smidge better today, so maybe I'm on the upturn ...

Zelanie -- laughing at your fortune!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning Pens!

Zel - the fortune cookie was obviously just point to you becoming a meeting leader for weight watchers!

HsM - I've got the crud too =(

I wound up taking an URD yesterday.  I've had a mild sore throat and a lot of dry coughing since I woke up yesterday.  I'll try to run something today, but probably not the 5 mile tempo run that's on the schedule.  I'm just feeling a bit too crappy for that.  My ear also hurts which often happens when I get a sore throat.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

From the Internet.

Hi pens!

Medium-long with some hill repeats this morning (6x60 seconds, jog back down to recover). Working on thesis now (well, break from writing, technically, since I'm here typing this out), free lunch in 45 minutes, heading out an hour or so early to take the kid to indoor soccer. Not a bad Thursday!

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, the gig was ok, except some of my high notes were just not there.  I don't think anyone except my quartet noticed, though, so it's all good.  And now I can relax until the next gig on Sunday!!  I don't think I'm going to try to sing at chorus rehearsal tonight, although I will still go and absorb all the teaching.  Woo-hoo!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Well, I just spent 4 days in Vegas and didn't lose any money, so I'd say I'm very fortunate!  (unless you count the $$ I dropped at the buffet - oh my those are expensive)

Zel, have a great first meeting tonight.  I'm sure you will be a fantastic leader!

HopesMom & Jill, hope your sniffles are better soon.

I've been MIA lately, busy with school and travel and not much running bc of my foot. Sad  Still some arch pain despite my rest and ice and stretching.

GinnyinPA

Brilliant - I did notice you were missing.  I'm sorry the foot is till giving you grief.

Jill, HopesMom and Damaris - sorry you're all sick.

Z - have fun with the meeting tonight.  As long as you've been doing WW, it should be easy for you, especially since you're already used to talking in front of groups.  (I'm not good at that and get exceedingly nervous.)

HopesMom - I'm glad you were able to sing despite the cold. Have fun at rehearsal.

Jill - maybe another rest day?

Lauren - sounds like a good run.  I've never done repeats, as I get enough hills just running near the house, I think.

I'm about to head out for a short run. The rain has stopped but it's still cold and windy outside.  I froze walking Ben, but don't want another TM day.  I can handle 45 minutes or so, I hope.

SheCan

Ginny, I'm still not sure which races I want.  I'm like that, flighty, can't make up my mind, but I'd love to meet you if I can make it towards AJ that weekend of your marathon.  If I did, I'd HAVE to do one of the races at least.   We'll be in touch before then.  :-*  Sounds like your running is going fantastic though.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

3.5 outside for me and DW.  Chilly, but not too bad.  Still looking for a last LR for this weekend's warm up.

Zel, good luck.  You will be a terrific WW  leader.  Maybe you can start them on a walking mileage game.

Philliefan33

I guess I forgot to visit for the past few days, but I've been doing a little running. I did a three- mile fartlek tun on the TM yesterday ( it was raining too hard to go outside). Today I went out in the wind for four miles.

I've been in my own little word this week. DH left on a business trip Sunday. I find plenty of things to keep me busy, but I do make sure to plan at least one errand or outing each day so I get some human contact. Otherwise I might slip into hermit mode.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Ugh, this stupid cough is getting worse.  Before it was more of a dry cough but now I feel like I'm coughing crap out of my lungs.  Looks like another URD for me =(

I did however get my new shoes in the mail and waste way way too much money on registering for the NYC Half.  If anyone wants to enter the lottery the deadline is today.  I have entry because of a NYRR program so I just felt the burn of that $122 charge on my credit card =P

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21)