Beginners and Beyond

Wednesday Penguins Stop for Lights! (Read 15 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

101st Anniversary of the First Electric Traffic Signal.

PADRunner

After yesterdays 6 + 4.5 group workout my legs said go back to sleep this morning so I did. Might get some TM miles later.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I have 8 planned for some point today.  Maybe once I finish my coffee and take my dog for her morning walk I'll run outside before it gets too hot.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 10 with 4 @ HMP tonight.  TM, most likely.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Zelanie

No lights on the TM, nor on the route I most frequently run from my house. Smile  To avoid the one light, I do have to cross a not-too-busy road before I get to the intersection, but that's it.

Up early today.  Woke up and was thinking about work, and that was it.  Track tonight.  Really hoping for 8ish miles, and don't really care too much about the workout.  It will be good to break up the monotony.

PAD- Glad you got the extra sleep!

sapf- Hope you got some miles in!  Sounds like we are mileage twins again today!

D- Good luck on the HMP run!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  The "feels like" temps were still over 100 when I got home yesterday, so DH nixed the run.  I was surprised it was him instead of me, this time!  Oh well, maybe I can re-invent myself as a runner in September ....  Quartet rehearsal tonight!  

PAD -- hope the extra sleep was wonderful!!

sapf -- Good luck on your 8!!

Docket -- Enjoy your speedy 10 tonight!!

Zelanie -- Enjoy the track workout tonight, hope it's not monotonous!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I decided to sign up for the NYC Nike running club group run tonight.  I'm going to do 5 miles with them and then run the 3.5ish miles home from nike (over the dreaded bridge).  I need my running to be a slightly more social experience or I'm going to burn out.  I've done one nike run before and it was a really cool experience.  The run starts at 6:30 so I guess I should have a small meal at 4:30 and then eat dinner when I get home from the run?

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

For my group runs in the evening, I'm usually fine just on lunch and then eating afterwards.  Sometimes I do use it as an excuse to have an afternoon snack, though.

You can always do the group run, then grab something light before heading home if you need it?

From the Internet.

Cranky and tired today. Got up at 4:45 for my first workout since DH was supposed to take an early train to work for an 8 AM meeting, I get home 2 minutes before he's supposed to leave for the train station and he's still in bed. So I totally could have done my whole workout all at once after all, but instead I now have to sneak away from work for part 2.

I haven't had coffee yet and I'm torn between wanting to go get some so I can feel normal and happy for the rest of the day, or skipping it and keeping my tolerance low.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

For my group runs in the evening, I'm usually fine just on lunch and then eating afterwards.  Sometimes I do use it as an excuse to have an afternoon snack, though.

You can always do the group run, then grab something light before heading home if you need it?

I can't really eat mid-run.  I've tried it before (like do a race, eat the post race bagel, rest for a bit, run home) and it just ends up with my abs spasming and all sorts of badness.  I can hold down shot bloks during a run and that's about it :-(  Ultrarunning probably isn't in my future.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Weight training circuit this morning. Have not been consistent in that area and my body let me know it too this morning!

Tonite, plan on participating at the VFW run/walk with my fellow veterans of San Antonio Team Red White Blue.  This will be a very nice and easy run/walk along the San Antonio Riverwalk, as the temp will be hovering around 97 to 98 degrees.

Oh yeah...Got my race calendar filled up for August now....
                        August 8, Loteria 5k...
                        .August 15, Dragon's Den 5K....
                        Aug 22...Air Force JR ROTC 5K - gotta support my service, I'm retired Air Force -
                        Aug 23, Alamo Beer 5K - I committed to my friend Bart, the RD for this race,  way back in May to do this one...love his events, he throws a great after-party!  Just like my RD friend of  Carrera Races, which has a race the same day and time as Bart's race, darn the luck...if the race sites were closer to each other and the start times were about 2 hours apart, I'd do BOTH, lol - ....Bart's will be my #40 race for year 2015...
                        Aug 29 - Heidi Search Center 5K...
                        So after August a grand total of 41 races completed in 2015 so far...

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Cranky and tired today. Got up at 4:45 for my first workout since DH was supposed to take an early train to work for an 8 AM meeting, I get home 2 minutes before he's supposed to leave for the train station and he's still in bed.

This is so wrong!!  The squirt gun would come out if this happened at my house!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

I do this.  I run after work so I eat lunch, a snack before I run, the run, and a full meal after 9pm.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I do this.  I run after work so I eat lunch, a snack before I run, the run, and a full meal after 9pm.

+1 for the group runs I do.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I usually have a half bagel with peanut butter at 1100, then a granola bar and banana about 1:00 and run at 2:00.  I would much rather run in the morning.   Never run at night.

That looks like a full schedule, Scotty.

6 miles today.  I usually just carry a hand held 16oz bottle, but experimented carrying extra water on my belt (although I don't need it for 6).  Worked okay.  Ran out on the last 10 miler.