Beginners and Beyond

2019 Race Number 19 San Antonio City Manager's 5K (Read 3 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

A BIG THANKS to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.     

Link to photos only:

http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%20Race%20Reports/2019%20Race%20Number%2019%20City%20Managers%205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 19th race of 2019 was the City Manager’s 5K (CM5k) held on March 31 at Roosevelt Park in San Antonio. This event started in 20007 to showcase the city’s concentration on increasing an interest in wellness among City of San Antonio employees and their families. As the 5K grew, it was eventually opened to the entire community.  For this year’s 5K, the city partnered with the YMCA and its annual Siclovia event, a free event that turns major city streets into a temporarily car-free safe place for people to run, ride bikes, take exercise classes, and more for about 5 hours. CM5K has become quite a popular event.  For this year, not sure how many participants there were, but it was well over 2,500, from just looking at the results. Parking was kind of crazy, so glad I got there early, and glad I had picked up my packet during the week instead of waiting until race day. After I finally did get parked, went around the crowded staging area and got a few photos.

Roosevelt Park is one of the parks adjacent to the San Antonio Riverwalk and the San Antonio River

photo 014_zpsubxx9can.jpg

photo 016_zpsvkow24cd.jpg

photo 072_zps9ukx4gtc.jpg

photo 079_zps9xwqxrtm.jpg

San Antonio Police "Blue Bear" mascot

photo 002_zpsannn8qpl.jpg

Blue Bear and "handler"

photo 005_zpsxycmuspx.jpg

Blue Bear and some idiot... 

photo 004_zpsd4wwvqb4.jpg

Blue Bear and Sparky, the Fire Dept. Mascot

photo 031_zpsxbts71un.jpg

Some of the iaap race management crew that did setup, timing, results, etc.

photo 025_zpsogzz13wz.jpg

photo 026_zpsiwksnpqv.jpg

photo 027_zpssudlwvfu.jpg

Fire Academy cadets in attendance

photo 007_zpshchs30z3.jpg

photo 008_zpsmuzxo0zi.jpg

Police Academy cadets

photo 010_zpsfglcwmmr.jpg

photo 011_zpsqbdqgfqh.jpg

Various

photo 006_zps383kfjg6.jpg

photo 012_zpsj2whbohj.jpg

photo 017_zpsafwj9pz4.jpg

photo 018_zpslju1hgyr.jpg

photo 019_zpsaah8oxzd.jpg

photo 020_zpsydfwo35g.jpg

photo 021_zpsb79jb6je.jpg

photo 022_zpsdkezrvuh.jpg

photo 023_zpswowp8fpm.jpg

photo 024_zps0afocj7i.jpg

photo 028_zpske8rsxec.jpg

photo 029_zpsvfv5dgvg.jpg

photo 030_zpswaj8ngau.jpg

photo 032_zpsnarm6oq1.jpg

photo 033_zpspuq0eqzh.jpg

photo 034_zpscfkz53zy.jpg

photo 035_zpsarxgu8hc.jpg

My friend here had a hip replacement and is now out walking again

photo 036_zps96o71xex.jpg

photo 037_zpshur7r0u4.jpg

ON THE COURSE

The course was out-and-back, starting from Roosevelt Park and then heading onto St. Mary’s Street in San Antonio.  For our turn-round point we made a turn onto Cesar Chavez Boulevard, went down that for about a half mile, then came back up it to St. Mary’s Street and back to the finish the way we had come out. It was a nicely thought-out course that gave the thousands of participants roads wide enough to maneuver around on without feeling crowded.  I ended up 7th out of 22 in my age group (60 – 65) with a 34:18 time.  The weather, by the way, was kind of nuts.  On Saturday (March 30) the 5K I did was warm and humid and I wore a singlet. For this one a ‘cold’ front moved in Saturday night and by Sunday morning the wind was blowing pretty good, it was a cool 46 degrees with a ‘feels like of 40’ – that’s cold for we South Texans, lol, especialy when the temp drops 30 degrees overnight – and I wore a short-sleeved running shirt with a base layer.  This coming week our temps will hit the 70s again. Mother Nature sure likes to ‘see-saw’ our San Antonio weather, lol.

Right after we turned the corner out of the park...up we went...

photo 038_zpsnfoa9rnp.jpg

On St. Mary's Street...

photo 039_zpsorofmwyb.jpg

photo 040_zpsgyehtfn1.jpg

photo 042_zpswwuqgqob.jpg

photo 043_zps5utmrixh.jpg

photo 045_zpsz4spdz7j.jpg

photo 046_zpsbsklsws2.jpg

Overall winner already heading back to the finish

photo 047_zpsoqsgxuoh.jpg

On Caesar Chavez Street

photo 048_zpsxyitevrk.jpg

photo 049_zpsnwnrua2k.jpg

photo 050_zpsgqy5tbnb.jpg

photo 051_zps8nyxnjxk.jpg

photo 052_zpsssf65rco.jpg

photo 053_zpsrrxyaqwk.jpg

Down the hill now, heading to the park to finish

photo 054_zpsw4o0pb9p.jpg

AFTER MY FINISH

After walking around a bit and drinking some water and munching on some of the post-race goodies (banana and nutrition bar for me), got a few photos of the happy finishers and supporters, volunteers, etc

photo 055_zpscgmte7vf.jpg

photo 056_zps2emrvfmd.jpg

photo 057_zpsfrw7nuhh.jpg

photo 058_zpseribj8h7.jpg

photo 060_zpslmmatsbl.jpg

photo 061_zps5eymyloe.jpg

photo 062_zpsxoqmea6b.jpg

photo 063_zpsgjnalkkc.jpg

photo 064_zpsvygkcyrd.jpg

photo 065_zpsi2im4izt.jpg

photo 066_zpsdnhfjo2d.jpg

City Manager Erik Walsh with a few words to start the awards ceremony

photo 067_zps5qvcheqb.jpg

photo 068_zpsoxqcjok3.jpg

photo 069_zpsqfdnfmfz.jpg

photo 070_zps97xqcdfl.jpg

photo 071_zpsmghbnroh.jpg

photo 074_zps8xi682sx.jpg

photo 075_zpsj84hfhdn.jpg

Why this guy isn't cold...the rest of us were freezing, lol

photo 076_zpsgivxitl4.jpg

I was framed!

photo 078_zpsyczdm083.jpg

EPILOGUE

As said, CM5K has become quite a popular city 5K to do and this one was no exception, lots and lots of participants.  The City planned well for it and from what I saw everything went off without a hitch. There was not a whole lot of post-race goodies – water was the only drink I saw offered – but some of the race sponsors and vendors there were also offering stuff – various fruits, energy drinks, nutrition bars, and more – so it was all good.  Results were done pretty quickly, thanks to the efficiency of local race management company iaap; they are an ‘old hand’ at this and know how to get it done. Awards, for those who got them, were pretty nice. Nice quality race tee also.  Very nice course, and with an out-and-back, it was fun to see and encourage and cheer on friends as we passed by each other.  I’ve done this event in the past and it’s only gotten better as the years have gone along. Definitely will do this one again and would recommend it.

Thanks very much to all the people who made this one happen for we participants, all the volunteers; iaap for the course set-up, timing, and results; all the sponsors and vendors; law enforcement folks out there for us; all the city employees that had a hand in organizing this one and making sure it all came out okay; and anyone else I may not have mentioned

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Half Crazy K 2.0

Your spring weather sounds a lot like ours, 75, 50, rinse, repeat. I was wondering what the weather was since a lot of people look cold in the pre-race pictures.