Beginners and Beyond

This is a Public Service Announcement! (Read 233 times)

MothAudio

Full disclosure. Early Tuesday morning *I* suffered a stroke. Yes, a stroke [I can hardly believe it myself]. It didn’t feel like what you’d think a stroke event would. It wasn’t painful, just a weird feeling that something wasn’t right. As I told the doctor, this wasn’t my most traumatic event I endured recently [not close] – that would be my 4 mile race on Saturday.

The worst was the 1st ten minutes – more spooky than anything. In my case, my right side went numb and I had difficulty walking but got around pretty good with the aid of my “marathon cane”. By the time I went to the E/R 90% of my symptoms were gone. I ended up spending two days on the Brain / Stroke floor.

From the moment I arrived to my discharge at no time did I get the impression I needed immediate attention, like you would when you hear the word “stroke”. They just sent me through a battery of tests that only confirmed what I already knew – slightly high cholesterol – then they found the PFO: patent foramen ovale. *

20% of the population has this condition. It’s treatable either with medicine or PFO closure, which is a minimally evasive procedure. Everything else was negative. It just took two days to run all the blood work, neuro and cardio tests. They put me on Lovenox [blood thinner] and wrote a script for Lipitor and baby aspirin regimen after my discharge. Everyone seemed very optimistic. They just wanted me to be careful about jumping back into activity too quickly. The cardiologist wasn’t concerned about another event but to what extent the initial event weakened my affected side. I haven’t noticed that but I haven’t really tested it either.

I was released Thursday afternoon, drove home and cut the grass and did some light chores around the house. With school having started for my three boys I was scrambling to get everyone caught up and one of my boys is in the process of changing schools so I’ve been pretty busy since coming home.

If anyone is wondering – no, I haven’t run [for any distance] yet and been a good boy. My weekly mileage is 5 miles and will likely remain my total for the week. I still have some very minor tingling in my right foot and somewhat apprehensive about running. My 1st runs will likely be at the Y on the treadmill.

I’m really looking at this as a blessing. I’m on a statin to lower my cholesterol numbers to the normal range and quite possibly opt for surgery that should improve my running performance. This may explain to some degree my lackluster running the last 1 1/2 years - perhaps the condition deteriorated, resulting in my sub-par running. But so much for kicking off week 1 off my ten week half marathon schedule!  Yikes! Then again, I set my marathon Master PB on only 6 weeks of training.

How is this condition [PFO] detected? You would need a cardiologist to perform a transthoracic echocardiogram to detect the condition and then your options would be a minor surgical procedure or treat it with dietary / activity modifications. If your cholesterol is high they may opt put you on a statin or try to lower it with activity / diet [this is the route I took several years ago].

* What is a PFO?

A patent foramen ovale (PFO) is a defect in the septum (wall) between the two upper (atrial) chambers of the heart. Specifically, the defect is an incomplete closure of the atrial septum that results in the creation of a flap or a valve-like opening in the atrial septal wall (see illustration). A PFO is present in everyone before birth but seals shut in about 80% of people.

With each heart beat or when a person with this defect creates pressure inside his or her chest - such as when coughing, sneezing, or straining during a bowel movement - the flap can open, and blood can flow in either direction directly between the right and left atrium. When blood moves directly from the right atrium to the left atrium, this blood bypasses the filtering system of the lungs (the lungs actually do dissolve tiny blood clots). If debris is present in the blood, such as small blood clots, it now passes through the left atrium and can lodge in the brain, causing a stroke, or another organ, such as the heart, eyes, or kidneys.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Docket_Rocket

Sorry to hear this, Mike, but I know you'll conquer this and come back stronger than ever.  Hugs.

Please keep us posted!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Hip Redux

Oh wow.  I'm so glad you are OK!

happylily

Hugs to you, my friend. You'll be running like the cheetah that you are in a couple of months. Don't worry. For now, rest a bit. Your body needs it.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

From the Internet.

Whoa, crazy! Glad you're okay!

(....and now this hypochondriac has one more thing on her list of things to worry about! D: )

hog4life

Mike, I am sorry to hear this. You are a very disciplined person, so I have complete faith that you will be stronger coming out of this. How is Mrs Moth and the boys holding up? Must have been quite a scare for them. Heal well my friend!

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Holy Cow, Mike!

I'm glad you got through it - these things are somewhat unpredictable. Pay attention to what the doctor says and ease back into running.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

Tar Heel Mom

kween

Holy mackerel, you are one of the last people I would expect to have a stroke or anything like it. So glad it was apparently minor and you now have the cause. Take care of yourself. Best to you and your family.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

Zelanie

Holy cow, I am so glad you got in to the hospital and are on your way to recovery!  That's a good reminder to the rest of us that being in good health and exercising regularly can lower the odds, but doesn't make us immune to such things.

PVO sounds like what a friend of ours had.  I believe that he had the surgery and made a full recovery, but it's been a few years, so my memory isn't fresh.  It is tempting to wonder what you could do with your running after the surgery, yes?

So glad you're OK!

SusanRachel

Sorry you went through this.  As you found out, it has very little to do with your cholesterol and your overall health, meaning that anyone reading this could have the same condition (except me - I had an ECHO when our ECHO tech in residency got a brand-new, fancy machine and needed victims to practice on, so I know I don't have one).  As young and active as you are, I would advise you to consider getting the cath to have it closed so you don't have to be on meds for life.

HobbitLegs

elevenses

Scary stuff. Rest and take care, and thanks for making us aware. Glad you're ok!

Trail Monster

Glad you got checked out and it shouldn't leave any lasting effects! Hope they can fix the PFO quickly and easily and that it resolves everything for you!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

First Julie.

Now Mike.

The 2 people, who 5 years ago I would have probably put at the bottom of the list of people to potentially have a stroke and now BOTH of those most unlikely candidates have had one?

I know, I know, it can happen to anyone......it's just hard for me to wrap my brain around.

Very glad you're ok & that it wasn't a debilitating type of stroke!

chill time......    

Randy

Love the Half

There was an article in our local paper recently about a guy who had a stroke at 28 years old from the same condition.  He wasn't in great shape but he wasn't in horrible shape either when it happened.  I am very glad to hear you are OK.  Listen to your doctor but don't be afraid to ask questions.  I wish you a speedy recovery.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

B-Plus

OMG Mike! I'm glad you're ok.

Thanks for sharing that with us. Please recover well.