Beginners and Beyond

Report w/Lots of Photos: Police and Firefighter Memorial 5K (Read 4 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO 

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - , retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full report below.    

Link to photos only:   http://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2017%20Race%20Reports/2017%20Race%20No%2035%20Police%20Firefighter%20Memorial%205K

A couple of the photos may not have come out so well;  sorry about that – I am certainly no professional photographer with skills; but at least all the photos are free to save.  J

BEFORE MY START

This was my 35th race of 2017.  Held on May 27, this event honored our local area fallen police and firefighters.  This 5K was especially poignant this year as our city lost firefighter, 31-year old Scott Deem, killed the week before in a 4-alarm fire.  He left behind his wife and children and one child on the way.  The whole city felt this loss and many memorials were left at his station house and near the spot where he died. He was the first local firefighter to be killed responding to an alarm since 1997.  May he rest in peace.  Two other firefighters were injured.

Event was held at Heroes Stadium, a venue for a variety of activities in the Northeast Independent School District.  Start time of 8:30 a.m., with some pre-start ceremonies, in remembrance of the fallen.  I live pretty close to the stadium. I left my house at 7:20 and arrived on location at 7:35.   After getting my timing chip, I got some pre-start photos.

Welcome to Heroes Stadium area

photo 012_zpsucwdkvvc.jpg

photo 026_zpszne6gejy.jpg

photo 067_zpstgqiyhtj.jpg

With pretty ladies...and wearing my "Flash" socks in honor of police and firefighters who "Flash" right in when there is trouble...God Bless them all...

photo 023_zpsikotnusr.jpg

With a few of the guys who were part of the opening ceremony

photo 001_zpsmhcsctg5.jpg

photo 005_zpsykkl6tp3.jpg

photo 008_zpsvqiklehd.jpg

Our MC

photo 002_zpsynvonlej.jpg

Race Director John Purnell

photo 030_zpst8rwvfal.jpg

Police Cadets

photo 013_zpsqkiua6zm.jpg

photo 014_zpspcdnyggb.jpg

photo 017_zps4ljjgwqk.jpg

Team RWB (Red White Blue) Veterans Group

photo 018_zpsidgaxc9t.jpg

Firefighter Cadets

photo 021_zpsg33j7js6.jpg

AND MORE....

photo 003_zpsr2pjkqvz.jpg

photo 009_zpskxzfr6gd.jpg

photo 010_zpsf3c6d1of.jpg

photo 015_zpsctivtmij.jpg

photo 022_zpsvd0qtw2i.jpg

photo 024_zpsb5hat9s5.jpg

photo 025_zpsfahwzyoa.jpg

photo 027_zpsvgq1x3l1.jpg

photo 028_zpseqc1nu5w.jpg

photo 029_zpscozk8n0o.jpg

Opening ceremonies

photo 031_zpswr10ifkz.jpg

photo 032_zpsw6bt9ybt.jpg

photo 033_zpskpuv6jxl.jpg

photo 034_zpsbpda0fkz.jpg

Unaccompanied by music, National Anthem sung beautifully by this young lady..

photo 035_zpsvyep4buh.jpg

In the start area

photo 036_zpscxtmkaf0.jpg

photo 037_zpsxwkbwmkm.jpg

ON THE COURSE

Start was in the parking lot in front of the stadium and then we did two laps around the roads near the Stadium, finishing back up where we had started.  Most of these roads are pretty darn flat, but there is one long uphill/downhill that accesses a local parkway – and our Race Director decided to have us do this hill twice before finishing up.  Good thing I do hill training at least once a week, lol.  Matter of fact, I thought this course would pretty much be all the flat roads, so I’d done 6 miles of hills the Tuesday before this race, thinking that was my hill work for the week.  Guess not.  Surprise from the Race Director, lol.

The weather – just short of feeling like running in a hot house.  Storm fronts moving in this weekend, so the air was pretty still, the temp was already in the 70s by 7 a.m., the humidity was near 90% and the dew-point was in the 60s.   Sweat sweat sweat!    Even so, I felt pretty good and ran fairly well for an old dog, finishing in 33:14, good enough for 3rd place in my 60 – 64 age group.

photo 038_zps77cw7k3f.jpg

photo 039_zpsrl6h42q8.jpg

photo 040_zpspmd99ynh.jpg

photo 042_zps9lhwlxci.jpg

photo 043_zpsk5t1wiq7.jpg

photo 044_zpsg2dzzb4c.jpg

photo 045_zpsno2n069r.jpg

Heading toward the right turn that will take us up the hill the first time

photo 041_zpsl0xwotgj.jpg

Made it to the top...gettting ready to head back down

photo 046_zpspy8y0vui.jpg

About halfway done now..

photo 047_zpstztacebd.jpg

2nd lap.....

photo 048_zps3wflmulm.jpg

photo 049_zpsmetfbfk4.jpg

photo 050_zpsnmuvy8un.jpg

photo 051_zpsm9ooek9u.jpg

photo 052_zpshgaetfig.jpg

photo 053_zpsfojuwuwn.jpg

photo 054_zps9lzkagpk.jpg

Those fire cadets are quick...by the time I started up the hill the 2nd time, they were already heading down and to the finish

photo 055_zpsnj5xrlt0.jpg

Almost to the top...again!

photo 056_zps6ncqet1i.jpg

After that last photo...went nonstop all the way to the finish.   Ended up 3rd in my age group.

AFTER MY FINISH

Got some water, hydrated, cooled down a bit, and then it was off to take some photos of the ‘happy finishers’, volunteers, supporters, etc.

photo 057_zpsfmf5bruo.jpg

photo 060_zpsyy0jsk27.jpg

My cold energy drink hit the spot....

photo 058_zps2gwm6o6q.jpg

photo 059_zps1yypydmh.jpg

photo 061_zpswntqrj4v.jpg

photo 062_zpslhutnit4.jpg

photo 063_zpsobuqiltr.jpg

photo 064_zpsoy6llumw.jpg

My speedy friend Gene and his wife, also my friend, Loyce.  Gene moved out of my age group this year.  Thank goodness!

photo 065_zpsxmuaagja.jpg

photo 066_zpshfwtugom.jpg

photo 068_zpsouyelhva.jpg

photo 069_zpsb2ux4qeb.jpg

Two pretty ladies on either side....I look great!

photo 070_zpsgp8x779o.jpg

photo 071_zpsw0r58xsk.jpg

photo 072_zpsyjew0yux.jpg

photo 073_zpsigtthtoe.jpg

photo 074_zpsldvfwtqf.jpg

Thanks for the sausages, cooks!

photo 075_zpsnf3sjcxi.jpg

photo 077_zpsre81lopl.jpg

photo 078_zpsoihgsrew.jpg

yes, the doggies did get treats from me...but i think they liked the sausages better, lol.

photo 079_zpssmea6mji.jpg

photo 080_zpsuacsjhjj.jpg

Wait...let me fix my hat...

photo 081_zpscwlos8ti.jpg

OK, ready now!     She had to push her hat up to share that beautiful smile.  

photo 082_zpsbmrbiijv.jpg

photo 083_zpsbsa6zxb7.jpg

photo 085_zps73jemwem.jpg

photo 086_zps3veozksx.jpg

photo 092_zpstrclupbn.jpg

photo 093_zpsdcfnkais.jpg

Once again...I look great! 

photo 094_zpsze1eykvc.jpg

photo 096_zpsffithnvn.jpg

photo 097_zpsaehu0gta.jpg

This guy pushed the stroller the whole way..twice up that hill.  He was pretty darn speedy too...I was with him until about the 1/2 mile mark...and then I never saw him again until after my finish.  He was waaay ahead of me.

photo 087_zpsflgovxz4.jpg

Two grizzled old vets...between the two of us, John and I are over 1,000 years old in dog years.

photo 089_zpstook5jzj.jpg

photo 090_zpswllcj3gq.jpg

Some of the age group award recipients

photo 088_zps3l6uvc8n.jpg

photo 091_zpsabaific8.jpg

photo 099_zpsvzgvk9ym.jpg

EPILOGUE

This 5K is very well done and done appropriately near Memorial Day.  This year was the 16th year (if I remember correctly) for this one being done. Participants include police officers, police cadets, firefighters and firefighter cadets, and lots of active duty-and-retired military people and, most likely, some other ‘uniformed people’, like EMTs, hospital staff, etc.  We all know about loss.  Everyone experiences loss at some time, of course, but people in uniform probably have a higher percentage of loss, unfortunately.  So this event is a very personal one each year for a lot of us who serve or served and also for a lot of our family members who may not have been in uniform but they too served in their own way, right along with us.  I have done this 5K several times in the past and every time I do, I always have someone in mind that I personally honor in my memory and my heart.  I am sure a lot of the participants do too. This one keeps on growing in participation.  Especially so this year, given the tragedy of last week.   It is a race to remember those lost, and let their surviving family members know their lost are not forgotten.  Race Director John Purnell and his volunteers organize this one perfectly and with respect.  It is definitely one to keep on your personal race calendar.

Mucho thanks to all the people who did all the hard work to make this one happen for us participants, all the volunteers, sponsors, the law enforcement folks out there for us at the various intersections, et al.  Without what all of you do, races for we participants could never happen; your work is greatly appreciated!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt