Beginners and Beyond

So long Arthur Saturdailies (Read 43 times)

I have been dealing with some groin pain/discomfort on my right side for the past six weeks that for the life of me will not go away.  It does not affect my running though (once I warm up) so maybe I can train through it like everything else.

Not sure whether in the same spot, but I have had something like this. For me it was in the very low abdomen on the right side. I thought it might even be a hernia, actually had it checked & it was not. It lasted for several months; finally went away for a while, but then came back again for a few months. Fortunately I was able to run through it, like you it was fine after a little warmup. But really got in the way of any abdominal work. I figured it was some kind of muscle strain; those things can just take forever to heal.

Dave

LRB

Not sure whether in the same spot, but I have had something like this. For me it was in the very low abdomen on the right side. I thought it might even be a hernia, actually had it checked & it was not. It lasted for several months; finally went away for a while, but then came back again for a few months. Fortunately I was able to run through it, like you it was fine after a little warmup. But really got in the way of any abdominal work. I figured it was some kind of muscle strain; those things can just take forever to heal.

Yep, I was actually having to lift my right leg with my hands and swing it to get out of my car it was so sore.  I have had my personal trainer and massage therapist push and prod on it but the pain is not acute, it just hurts when I contract the muscle (close my leg or swing it to the left).

Even an 800, 600, & 600 mg blast of liquid Advil over a 12 hour period a couple of weeks ago did nothing, and I avoid taking pills like the plague.  Grumble, grumble. 

Docket_Rocket

Yep, I was actually having to lift my right leg with my hands and swing it to get out of my car it was so sore.  I have had my personal trainer and massage therapist push and prod on it but the pain is not acute, it just hurts when I contract the muscle (close my leg or swing it to the left).

Even an 800, 600, & 600 mg blast of liquid Advil over a 12 hour period a couple of weeks ago did nothing, and I avoid taking pills like the plague.  Grumble, grumble. 

Maybe it's the psoas?  I have a couple of stretches that can indicate if it is.  I remember that groin pain during my periods of tight psoas.  Hope it's nothing major.

Dave, glad to hear the pain was not bad, if any.

As to RRs, I don't look to see how many people respond to mine.  I just write them and if someone wants to respond, fine.  I do try to respond to every RR posted, unless I am MIA or on vacation or working one of those 80 hour weeks.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

happylily

I also have had groin pain, a few years ago. I always tell that story here, because it traumatized me.  I was training for a marathon and the pain was so bad that I had to cut my mileage in half and stop all speedwork, because my stride was being limited by the pain. It lasted 5-6 weeks, and in retrospect, I should have stopped running completely for a week or two. I bet it would have healed sooner. I know exactly what caused the injury: I was in a plank contest, everyday doing the plank and trying to outdo everybody like the idiot that I am, and one day, something snapped in the groin after holding that stupid plank too long. Rick, could it be your red cords torture sessions? Maybe a wrong move, or something?

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

I also have had groin pain, a few years ago. I always tell that story here, because it traumatized me.  I was training for a marathon and the pain was so bad that I had to cut my mileage in half and stop all speedwork, because my stride was being limited by the pain. It lasted 5-6 weeks, and in retrospect, I should have stopped running completely for a week or two. I bet it would have healed sooner. I know exactly what caused the injury: I was in a plank contest, everyday doing the plank and trying to outdo everybody like the idiot that I am, and one day, something snapped in the groin after holding that stupid plank too long. Rick, could it be your red cords torture sessions? Maybe a wrong move, or something?

Probably the psoas for you as well.  That fucking muscle goes atop all the core muscles and when we overdo it, it goes on strike.

I might run solo tonight as hubby's shins ache a bit.  So, 6-8 miles if he is not going to run.  Getting ready to watch the World Cup now.

Ugh, I'm super sore from Pilates.  She really killed me when doing side situps while hanging from a little box.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Just B.S.

Maybe it's the psoas?  I have a couple of stretches that can indicate if it is.  I remember that groin pain during my periods of tight psoas.  Hope it's nothing major.

Dave, glad to hear the pain was not bad, if any.

As to RRs, I don't look to see how many people respond to mine.  I just write them and if someone wants to respond, fine.  I do try to respond to every RR posted, unless I am MIA or on vacation or working one of those 80 hour weeks.

So how do you reply to thank people who have responded if you don't look?

I am not saying that I check to see how many respond. I am saying that not many here do tri or are interested

So why write a RR for an audience that doesn't exist. I don't write them for myself cause I already know

What happened. Smile

Docket_Rocket

So how do you reply to thank people who have responded if you don't look?

I am not saying that I check to see how many respond. I am saying that not many here do tri or are interested

So why write a RR for an audience that doesn't exist. I don't write them for myself cause I already know

What happened. Smile

Oh, I go back and read the comments, but I am not looking to see if people responded, is what I meant.  Mine usually turned to other topics rather than the RR themselves, like the last one that concentrated on Gu or something else.  LOL.

And even if most of us are not triathletes, Tri RRs are inspiring and might make others want to "tri" them.  You never know.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Rick, nope. I don't have another race until October...... at least I'm not currently signed up for any, I want to focus on my training for the marathon and I worry that if I do any races I will push myself hard and miss an important long run, also because I don't want to do anymore races in the heat  I MIGHT do the YMCA 15k in September, but I haven't decided yet... maybe make it part of that long run that weekend, maybe run 10 miles before the race and then run the race as hard as I can... give me 19.3 miles with the last 15k at race pace?

I've got plenty of time to think on it Smile

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hiya Dailies.

No groin pain here, I'm happy to report.

Just B.S.: Good luck tomorrow. If I could ever get my lazy butt out of the house I would love to do something like that someday. The problem is I don't swim or ride a bike. I would like to try one of tri-relays that Baboon does. Those look like a LOT of fun.

5.5 hot miles for me this morning. Even leaving at 7:00 it's too hot. Tomorrow I am running 10-12 so I guess I should leave by 6:00. Now it's shower time, as my chair, paper, and World Cup await.

Stay cool Dailies.

happylily

Stupid psoas. I don't even know how to pronounce you, damn thing.

As for RRs, it's serious business for me. I look at the total views and the total comments I get from different viewers. Then I calculate the % of responses. If I get 20-25% of comments from the total of viewers, then I'm happy. You like me! You really really like me! 

Seriously, though, after all these years, I've come to see it the way LRB does. I write first for myself. It helps me review what happened in the race and I enjoy re-living the moment. Though it's not always enjoyable. Sometimes I'd rather forget a race. But there is always something to learn in them, good or bad.

happylily

Oh, I forgot: 150 push-ups done (40-30-20-10, long break, then 2x25 reps). My arms are like noodles. Also 30 minutes stretching. I have never been so inflexible in my whole life. What has running done to me? Now off to clean the house.

Just B.S.

I will do a race recap for FIL In person.Hubby and I are dedicating our race to him in honor of his struggle to learn to walk and talk again.

Besides I am a slow low mileage weakling not much to be leaned from me

Hip Redux

My groin hurts today but I kinda have a good reason for that. lol

Good luck, BS!

Docket_Rocket

FIL will be very proud to hear that.  Glad to hear he is recovering.

There are so many Argentinians here, the news are showing restaurants and places full of people celebrating and the game has not even started.  Too bad there are not as many people from Belgium, so they are outnumbered in celebrations here.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Oh, I forgot: 150 push-ups done (40-30-20-10, long break, then 2x25 reps). My arms are like noodles. Also 30 minutes stretching. I have never been so inflexible in my whole life. What has running done to me? Now off to clean the house.

Lack of flexibility is because we are distance runners.  The longer we run (distancewise) the less flexible we become.  That's why we need to work on that too.

I am back to 60 pushups and I was amazed at how easy I went back up.  Pilates has made me strong.

Damaris

Fundraising Page