Beginners and Beyond

Small or big Cowbells (Read 58 times)

What type of cowbell do you prefer to hear at races?  The small 3" cowbells, or the larger 8-11" cowbells? The small bells make a higher pitched noise, and the larger bells make a deeper noise.

Take Charge. Train Harder. Suck Less. No Excuses.

I prefer NOT to hear cowbells, but the few I've seen around here are probably the 3 in size, which is what I've used in my field work (bear deterrent) - not too heavy but decent noise. Definitely wouldn't want one of the brahma bull sized ones. I saw a smaller size on some dogs the other day, which looked just about right if I were running with one.

There is a reason I run on trails. Wink

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
      wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Like AKTrail I prefer not hearing cowbells at races.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Little Blue

Are you talking about a runner wearing them, or spectators having them?  Runner - NONE.  Spectator - either is fine, they're gone really fast.

Mmmmm...beer

Are you talking about a runner wearing them, or spectators having them?  Runner - NONE.  Spectator - either is fine, they're gone really fast.

I did a Jingle Bell 5k and someone there had jingle bells all over their outfit, probably one of the most annoying things I've experienced during a race, especially since I couldn't get away from him!

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

delicate flower

I prefer vuvuzelas.

<3

RSX

I actually like them especially around the last turn as a runner. We have used them at relays especially as you finish a leg. I have volunteered at Wellesley College during Boston a few times, and 1 year they had cow bells. As someone who heard them constantly that day, I think that it added to that atmosphere and it wasn't annoying.

Docket_Rocket

The big cowbells!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

onemile

I prefer the sound of the small ones.

happylily

Where does the tradition come from? I don't get the cowbell thing... I find the sound, big or small bells, slightly annoying to hear when I'm running tired.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

bluerun

Super B****

The small ones.  The ones that are so small, they don't even exist.  I freaking HATE cowbells!!

(Though, to be fair, I'm so oblivious during races that I usually don't hear them anyway.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Love the Half

If cowbells are on my "things to worry about" list during a race, I am obviously not running hard enough.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

You Rang?

I prefer vuvuzelas.

I agree, because unlike those who ring cowbells, people who blow vuvuzelas eventually get dizzy and stop.

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

onemile

If cowbells are on my "things to worry about" list during a race, I am obviously not running hard enough.

If you are running too hard to notice the cowbells in the first half of a marathon, you probably went out too fast.  

Docket_Rocket

I agree, because unlike those who ring cowbells, people who blow vuvuzelas eventually get dizzy and stop.

But they can make you deaf if you hear them for too long....

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page