Beginners and Beyond

SaturDAILIES. I think. (Read 38 times)

happylily

It's feeling good enough for me to try the track workout today.  I'll see how it is after that.

Surprisingly, the attack happened so quickly, that the other chickens weren't stressed and egg production is at full speed.  Who knows why weasels only eat the head.  I count myself lucky, however.  I've read that some weasels enjoy killing for sport and people have found their entire flock taken out by one weasel.   Traps were empty this morning.  Hopefully the weasel just moves on.

I hope you enjoy the track workout. Linda's foot, you behave, now! 

Your chickens were very lucky in that case. What vicious little things those weasels are... I guess they could go after a small cat too if that's what they wanted? I don't think we have them around here, thank god.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

We've got coyotes and bobcats and foxes around here, I don't think we really have weasels, and if we do I never hear of them attacking chickens. Most people around here have goats with their chickens, and ducks. Our neighbor has a turkey that they were going to eat for Thanksgiving last November, but apparently he wasn't big enough yet so they're waiting until this Thanksgiving. They don't keep him in a pen so he roams freely in anybody's yard - I am sure he will be killed and eaten by either roaming dogs or coyotes. Rocky got spooked by him the other weekend and chased him off, so if Rocky isn't afraid of that turkey, I highly doubt a coyote is going to be afraid.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

happylily

We've got coyotes and bobcats and foxes around here, I don't think we really have weasels, and if we do I never hear of them attacking chickens. Most people around here have goats with their chickens, and ducks. Our neighbor has a turkey that they were going to eat for Thanksgiving last November, but apparently he wasn't big enough yet so they're waiting until this Thanksgiving. They don't keep him in a pen so he roams freely in anybody's yard - I am sure he will be killed and eaten by either roaming dogs or coyotes. Rocky got spooked by him the other weekend and chased him off, so if Rocky isn't afraid of that turkey, I highly doubt a coyote is going to be afraid.

Heck, I'd be afraid if I met a turkey in my garden. Those things are ugly and obnoxious... In my little town, halfway suburb, halfway countryside, we have had skunks living under the terrace (got rid of them by placing rags dipped in Javex), raccoons (caught them in a cage and brought them to the nearby provincial park), and for the last 3 years, we've had a family of rabbits living in the garden. They eat my flowers and I don't care. They are just the cutest thing ever. Though sometimes I wonder what rabbit stew would taste like... But that's just my evil side and I quickly shut that voice up in my head. 

LRB

GODDAMMIT... I just broke my third TM in 6 years...

With the way you use yours, you probably need to be in the $3,000.00 range.  No one wants to hear that but anything less is simply for recreational runners.

Blue, I would lie in wait for that fuck with a small arm.  I did it before with rodents attacking my garden at 3:00 am and got them little fucks!

Mike, that is awesome!  I went 1 for 4 in last weeks playoffs so it is not looking good for me.

Shari, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do!

D, drive it like it's hot!

Thanks Gus, that worked perfectly!

Zel, play it by feel when you hit the road tomorrow.  It is only numbers.

Nice run O and Ric!

Hi Marj, Beth and Kris!

Good luck Tom!

Wassup to everyone else!

I ended up in the cold ass rain as well running across ice patches, so of course I had to slow way the hell down over the course of the intended workout:

2 x 1000

2 x 800

2 x 400

I ran 6.1 total, 2.7 of that at 6:46 and I guess it was better than nothing.

Afterwards, I showered so long that the water tank came upstairs and knocked on the bathroom door and screamed "Okay man, there's nothing left!".

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

3.5 sunny, 59 degree shorts-and-t-shirt miles done. My longest since November 3rd or so.

What a great day it's turned out to be. I need to fill the bird feeder, shower, and see if I can get some pictures of our feathered friends in the back yard. Or at least a squirrel or two. Smile

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

LRB

If you see a weasel Tom, shoot it, with the other lens. Wink

So I went out this morning despite the forecasted cold rain, figuring it would be an 8-miler or something. Off to a rough start, as my regular route was will with ice and slush and freezing cold puddles (of course spanning the width of the path, so could not be avoided).

But other than a brief light drizzle, the rain never showed up. And after a while I found a road that was clean that I could just go back & forth on. So I figured I would get my LR in while the going was good, and ended up doing 18. And picked up the pace later in the run as well: miles 1-12=9:00-9:10 pace, miles 13-17=8:40-8:50; mile 18=8:18.

Now I am going to take one of these.

Afterwards, I showered so long that the water tank came upstairs and knocked on the bathroom door and screamed "Okay man, there's nothing left!".

Have a great day everyone. Can't wait for all the great football this weekend.

Dave

happylily

Great run, Dave!

LRB

I'm off to the movies to treat myself to some yummy pizza.  I conteplated having a side of wine with that, but will just stay on the wagon a bit longer.

Today's feature; American Hustle.  Peace!  

Yugo18

Almost 60 degrees today,  How weird.  (Icky, too.)

Recovery 10 miles done.  I was really tired with heavy legs for some reason.

StepbyStep-SH

22.5 miles. Done. First 8 miles went quickly, thanks to having a friend on the next treadmill to chat with. Another friend checked in and chatted a few minutes around Mile 13. Podcasts kept me somewhat entertained until about Mile 18, then I switched to music. Breaks for gel and/or water refills at Miles 8, 15 and 20. Last 4 miles I included some faster segments because the slow pace was almost feeling tougher, and I had to stand on the sides from time to time to stretch a bit and loosen up my hips.
                        Only truly sore spots now are my toes - not sure if that is the result of the shoes (I don't think I've done more than 12 miles in these before) or being on the TM. But my body is definitely tired. Refueld with HuHot Mongolian Grill and ColdStone Creamery, now resting with my feet up for a little while before tackling housework.

Julie - Glad you weren't hurt when the TM broke. Hope you can get it fixed. And as for rabbit - tastes like chicken. My grandparents used to raise rabbits for meat.
                        OOTB - Bummer about the chickens. Hope you either catch the weasel or it finds someplace else to hunt.

Kudos to all of you out there in cold rain.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Entertaining is watching my husband and I replace the light bulb in my headlamp. I'm fairly mechanical. He is not. I needed his strength to get the damn cover off. But he couldn't get the light out. So I have to.  Still it is a poor design. Getting the clip holding the bulb off was nearly impossible. The owners manual isn't close to being clear. Go to re clip the light in and the clip comes off. Awesome. 20 min later, after trying to get it back on, take it to the auto parts place for them to spend another 20 min to finally get it on.  Driving with a burned out headlight is not an option so it had yo be done.

Marjorie

Step - A. Mazing. Nice of the Y to let you stay on that long too. I assume you had to start it over again every hour? I know you were going for 22, I can't belive you were able to stick it out that last 0.5.

Dave

delicate flower

22.5 miles. Done. 

Impressive.

Runningwarehouse is out of stock on size 12.5 New Balance 1400v2's.  This is some serious bullshit.

<3

StepbyStep-SH

Step - A. Mazing. Nice of the Y to let you stay on that long too. I assume you had to start it over again every hour? I know you were going for 22, I can't belive you were able to stick it out that last 0.5.

There were always at least a couple of open TMs or I would have taken it to the track for a bit, since they do ask that you limit to 30 minutes when it's busy. Luckily the one I was using will go to 99:59 before it automatically resets, so I just reset it when I took breaks. And that extra .5 was to get me to 50 for the week. Because 49.5 just wouldn't be right.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.