Beginners and Beyond

PENGWEDNESdaily (Read 24 times)

Docket_Rocket

Yes because it's been raining for two days and we have 4" of rain on the floor.

I don't know, Damaris.  According to the Weather Channel, you're 20 degrees cooler than I am right now!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

And yes, every day, we are either burning and sweating or under water.  I could barely get to my car this morning.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

Damaris, Bin and Coralie all have difficult weather pretty much year around.  Texas is hot and humid in the summers, but nice in the winter.  Arizona is hellaciously hot in the summer, but at least it's dry, and winters are great.  Vance has hard winters, but he seems to do well with them.  Zelanie probably has the least extreme weather.  Mid-Atlantic can get really hot and really cold, but the weather changes so much that neither seems to stick around all that long.  I do think it's odd that it's hotter here than in Florida this week.  But then, we've had some winter stretches when we were colder than Alaska.  I like the variability though, after living in Arizona, San Francisco and Houston.

Bin - I've never worn compression anything.  Sorry.

Jerry - are you still walking at least, to keep the muscles loose?

Tomas - a good thundershower sounds grand.  It's so hot and dry here - everything is turning brown.

Kristin - good job getting up and out so early.

Margo - that sounds like a good place to run.  Can you jump in the creek?  Or at least dunk your hat in the water?

Scotty - my husband is like you.  If he has to comb his hair, it's too long.  I cut his hair these days, and fortunately it's so short you can't tell that I really don't know what I'm doing.

HopesMom - hope your DH is feeling better.  Have you started running again yet?

Damaris - good luck on your trial.

Rest day for me, I think.  I slept on my leg wrong and woke up to sharp pain in my knee.  It felt better after we walked the dog, but I'm not ready to test it yet.

SheCan

Morning penguin friends!

Jerry :-(  Be patient and let your body heal up.

t-rod- wtg on the the miles.  Love the idea of finishing the runs with a Popsicle.  Cherry has always been my favorite.

Margo-- so cool that you found a route with facilities.  I have a route like that i do sometimes too.  There's also a gas station I run by that I could use, but most the time, unless I'm desperate I don't use.  I'm with you, I think Docket and Vance both have it tough.  I think I'd rather run in cold than heat though, but I say that because i rarely have to deal with cold.   I'm not sure how to deal with running in much snow.   Coralie and Scotty have a close 2nd in summer, but then they have kind of nice winters, like me.  Personally, I think me and Jack have it pretty darned nice.  I know it does get hot here, but its certainly not as extreme as other parts of the state, and most of the year, its absolutely gorgeous day after day.

kristin-- ugh@ it being that hot that early.  Glad you got your run in anyway.

bin-- "CW-X" is name brand compression ware?  I think I'm too cheap for much name brand stuff.

Scotty-- HAPPY YELLOW PIG DAY to you too!!!!!   I should make a yellow pig cake today!  Enjoy your RD and hair cut.

HopesMom-- oh my!  Your poor DH...that is anything but a happy birthday.

Ginny-- I've done that sleep funny thing too.  Usually it gets me in the shoulder.  Glad that walking the dog worked some of it out.

I did 7-1/2 cool miles today.  I have a doctors appt today, so afterwards I may run by a couple of stores and see if running shorts are on sale yet.

Everyone take care, and don't injure yourself!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Zelanie

Morning!  Had a lovely 5.25 mile run this morning.  Later I have a PT appt. and will be keeping time at the all-comers' track meet.

To add to my "best running weather" nomination, it was 60 degrees when I got back from my run today.  At 10 AM!  Shocked  Now, I know that we have rainy winters, but it's almost never cold enough to be icy, and it also never really rains heavily.

As far as "worst weather", I think we've gotta add Scottydog to the list.

Back later for personals.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

In honor of Yellow Pig Day and Peach Ice Cream Day, some really stupid/corny pig and ice cream jokes:

What do you call a pig thief?

A hamburglar

What do you call a pig with laryngitis?

Disgruntled

What do you put on a sore spot on a pig?

Oinkment!

Why did the farmer name his pig “Ink”?

Because it always ran out of the pen

What do you get when you cross a brown pig and a white pig?

Pigment

Why can’t some met get mad cow disease?

Because some men are pigs

How do astronauts eat their ice cream?

In floats

What do you get from an Alaskan cow?

Ice cream

What do you get if you divide the circumference of a bowl of ice cream by its diameter?

Pi a'la mode

What did Ernie say when Bert asked him if he wanted ice cream?

“Sure Bert!”

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Posted by HsM on Tuesday:  We have a temp of 99, heat index of 108, dew point of 72.  I want to walk around in an air-conditioned bubble!     Well, you have the 'bubbles', now you just need to figure out a way to portably air-condition them...  Wink   Hope your weather does not stay like that all summer long!   Sorry to hear about your DH, HsM!  I can relate, would not wish that on anyone, after I ended up in the ER last month for that.  Not fun at all!

Trial and a dentist appointment!  That sounds like you're going to have two trials! Good luck, Damaris!

Enjoy the rest day, Ginny, sorry about the sore knee though.  You can always give your hubby a Marine haircut:  have him sit down in the chair,stick the clippers up close against his head, spin the chair, around a few times and yell "Next!"  Big grin

Congrats on your 'cool' miles, Cherie!  Good luck with your doctor's appointment!

Way to go on your run, Zelanie!  60 degrees sounds great!  Have  a good TIME at the track meet.  Big grin  Naw, my weather is far from horrible, just summers are tough.  Rest of the year, we actually have it pretty mild compared to other places.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

From the Internet.

You have my condolences, Jerry :c It gets worse, then it gets better, and then when you feel like your patience has been tested so much that you're like a modern Buddha who can't be perturbed by anything anymore, you'll be back running again.

Damaris - maybe we can all chip in and send you one of these vests for your prize, haha.

Zelanie - so jealous of your running weather! I'm planning to go out before 6 AM again tomorrow to avoid the heat.

CHECK OUT MY NEW KICKS Big grin I'm actually not 100% sure if I'm going to keep them - they feel a little snug, might need a 9.5 instead of my usual 9. Which is kind of odd because from a quick Google search some people are actually sizing down in the Sayonara to get a tighter fit. This will be my last fun purchase for probably the next few years - DH has convinced me that it might not be completely crazy to look for a house to buy. No idea if we'll even be able to get approved for a loan, but I'm not shooting him down just yet because I do. not. want. DD to go to public school in our city next fall (notoriously bad school system) and private schools are CRAZY around here - 25-30k/year even for kindergarten!

SheCan

You have my condolences, Jerry :c It gets worse, then it gets better, and then when you feel like your patience has been tested so much that you're like a modern Buddha who can't be perturbed by anything anymore, you'll be back running again.

Damaris - maybe we can all chip in and send you one of these vests for your prize, haha.

Zelanie - so jealous of your running weather! I'm planning to go out before 6 AM again tomorrow to avoid the heat.

CHECK OUT MY NEW KICKS Big grin I'm actually not 100% sure if I'm going to keep them - they feel a little snug, might need a 9.5 instead of my usual 9. Which is kind of odd because from a quick Google search some people are actually sizing down in the Sayonara to get a tighter fit. This will be my last fun purchase for probably the next few years - DH has convinced me that it might not be completely crazy to look for a house to buy. No idea if we'll even be able to get approved for a loan, but I'm not shooting him down just yet because I do. not. want. DD to go to public school in our city next fall (notoriously bad school system) and private schools are CRAZY around here - 25-30k/year even for kindergarten!

Hahaha@ getting DR the vest!  I'll chip in.  Which do you like better, Damaris,  blue or khaki?

Pretty shoes, Lauren!   Hope they work for you.  Yikes @ the cost of that school!  And for kindergarten!  I think I'd have to home school or something.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

From the Internet.

Hahaha@ getting DR the vest!  I'll chip in.  Which do you like better, Damaris,  blue or khaki?

Pretty shoes, Lauren!   Hope they work for you.  Yikes @ the cost of that school!  And for kindergarten!  I think I'd have to home school or something.

Seriously, that's how much I paid for college (well, paid via scholarships/loans). I'm sure we'd qualify for financial aid at most of the schools in the area, but I have no idea how much so we'd have to gamble with application fees and deposits if she gets in before we'd even find out what our award would be. I would seriously consider homeschooling if I had a job that allowed me more flexibility - but my field requires a bare minimum of 40 hours/week, and I'm currently in a lab where kids under 18 aren't even allowed to be in the room because we store and use radioactive materials.

Zelanie

Jerry- It does get better, I promise!  Good luck at the doctor!

T-rod- Sounds like an awesome run!

kristin- Good job getting up and getting the run done!

Margo- Sounds like a good find for your running route!

Scotty- Enjoy the RD and hope you get a good haircut!

Bin- The only tights I've tried that I've liked are a girly brand, sorry.

HsM- Glad you have the night off, hope you and DH can enjoy it a little more than last night.

D- Good luck at the dentist.  I have to keep rescheduling my appointment as stuff comes up.  Hope it's just a cleaning or something easy.

Ginny- Hope the knee is feeling better!

Cherie- Ooh, good idea to hit the sales!  Hope you score something good!

Lauren- Love the shoes, but definitely size up if you even think you might need to!  For the sake of the toenails!

I hope that you are able to get a house.  We bought ours about 4 years ago, and I was completely amazed that anybody would think we were grown up enough to trust us with a mortgage.  I seriously kept waiting every day for them to call back and tell us that they had changed their mind.  Maybe because our first application with our credit union fell through?  So we had to find a second loan real quick because our offer had already been accepted and we had 30 days to close!  But it all worked out and we got a great house and a good interest rate.  We also thought we were going to have to really tighten our belts to be able to afford the mortgage, but somehow it's worked out just fine.

Docket_Rocket

Blue, of course.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

tracilynn

Our summers suck but really only lasts June, July, aug, and Sept.  Our heat index this week is 100-105. Our winters aren't too bad. Snow and ice are rare and I've never been too cold to run. Sometimes we get pretty windy here though (in winter).

Awood and lauren! love the shoes! I always get the most obnoxious colorsCool

~~~~~~~

Traci

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm still alive, and running.  HI!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Zelanie

Woot!  Just graduated from PT today.  They sent me home with a T-shirt that says "active lifestyle restored".  Perfect!  Plus some silver bands so I can continue the torture exercises at home.