Beginners and Beyond

Another diet thread (Read 180 times)

notimeforthat

Agreed.  Interestingly enough, there was a story a couple of years ago about a personal trainer who had always been in good shape.  He was going through an experiment of deliberately gaining weight and getting out of shape so he could better understand what people go through when they try to get into shape.  I think he was doing something like six months of bad dieting and no exercise.  Personally, I still have very distinct, and not so fond, memories of what it felt like to barely be able to run half a mile.  Heck, my main goal when I started running was to be able to run for three miles without stopping.

I don't disagree, however, people need to have had the experience of losing a lot of weight in order to really be honest about knowing how someone feels. I have not ever really had that, not being tacky, but just saying that I am built like my Dad and I am slender but it is also because I bust it on workouts and watch what I eat.

I mean, I lost pregnancy weight 3 times (70, 55 and 55 lbs respectively), but it wasn't a gut wrenching experience for me personally. It got frustrating at times though.

I think that when the people around here are looking at those that look like them and they are in a hospital setting, having just had a heart attack or stroke, they tend to say "you are doing no better than me, you can't help me because you can't help yourself". Some people just respond differently. Weight loss is an intensely personal thing.

I think of Padre. He lost a ton of weight, but he is so good at what he does now because he lost that weight and he can relate to people. I think that is a super example of how having been there is important.

Sorry if it got said or interpreted that obese people won't listen to other obese people. Some will, some won't.

mucknort

Nevrgivup made a valid and accurate observation regarding many folks in the medical field being overweight. I've recently had to make a number of visits to medical facilities and can back up her observations, in tthat a high percentage of medical personnel I saw were overweight/ obese. The percentage I saw possibly mirrored the general population, but one would think with the background and training that these folks have had that the percentage would be lower. Not only do these members of the medical field show a lack of wise decision making when it comes to diet and exercise, they certainly aren't showing positive role modeling, when it comes to patients dealing with these issues.

So, in the same vein, I'd like to call out teachers. In a former life, I taught in an elementary school for a number of years. My wife is an Education Professor at the local college. I sometimes help her out with projects in schools, and I am astounded by the number of teachers that are overweight/obese. Again, these folks are models for children and I can't help but think what message they are sending to kids regarding weight issues.

RSX

My wife is a teacher and I don't see any great %s of healthy or unhealthy people in that  profession that is different from the norm. I don't expect anyone outside my family to be  role models for our kids.

Village people

Nevrgivup made a valid and accurate observation regarding many folks in the medical field being overweight. I've recently had to make a number of visits to medical facilities and can back up her observations, in tthat a high percentage of medical personnel I saw were overweight/ obese. The percentage I saw possibly mirrored the general population, but one would think with the background and training that these folks have had that the percentage would be lower. Not only do these members of the medical field show a lack of wise decision making when it comes to diet and exercise, they certainly aren't showing positive role modeling, when it comes to patients dealing with these issues.

This doesn't bother me. Other than pregnancy weight, I have never tried to lose weight. I don't know how difficult it is, but it can't be easy or this wouldn't be such an epidemic. What does bother me is that someone who should know better would be following a fad diet, like the one in the OP.

Village people

My wife is a teacher and I don't see any great %s of healthy or unhealthy people in that  profession that is different from the norm. I don't expect anyone outside my family to be  role models for our kids.

I don't either, but teachers have a big influence on kids.

RSX

I don't either, but teachers have a big influence on kids.

She has a big influence on me. I run when I hear her teacher voice.

Village people

LOL.

mucknort

How 'bout when she gives you the "teacher look"?

fourouta5

Healed Hammy

Then you must know Sister Charles Bronson.  Boy when she looked at us we toed the line.  If she said "Eat"...we did.  If she said "Shit" we did.  No problem losing weight in her class.

Chairman

My 5th grade report card made mention of some sort of disregard for authority. I never met a teacher I was afraid of.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

@runjerseygirl

My 5th grade report card made mention of some sort of disregard for authority. I never met a teacher I was afraid of.

For some reason, this doesn't surprise me.

Do you even run?

Chairman

For some reason, this doesn't surprise me.

I was a logical kid, as I still am. The worst a teacher could do to me was send me to detention. I didn't really mind detention too much. That's where some of my friends were.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey

Gator eye

Even after dropping 60 pounds I was told I don't know how hard it really is to lose weight because I have a high metabolism and weight loss is easy for me.Angry

It has nothing to do with the strict diet and all the running for the last 3 years.

RSX

How 'bout when she gives you the "teacher look"?

The look and voice happen simultaneously. They both work great when we have a customer service issue.

Rungry!

Even after dropping 60 pounds I was told I don't know how hard it really is to lose weight because I have a high metabolism and weight loss is easy for me.Angry

It has nothing to do with the strict diet and all the running for the last 3 years.

Ohhh, that would piss me off!!  And yes, I've been there too. As an adult, my weight has fluctuated all over the place. I was, 225lbs at my heaviest, 140lbs at my lightest. It's a bitch trying to keep the weight off, and the fight never ends.

When I was changing my lifestyle, I was greatly inspired by people that had walked in my shoes. They were a beacon of hope for me.

Jen