Beginners and Beyond

Another diet thread (Read 180 times)

Mostly harmless

"It doesn’t matter how often you do it or how much you accomplish, in general, not running is a lot easier than running." - Meb Keflezighi

Jnfr Jogs

Ohhh, that would piss me off!!  And yes, I've been there too. As an adult, my weight has fluctuated all over the place. I was, 225lbs at my heaviest, 140lbs at my lightest. It's a bitch trying to keep the weight off, and the fight never ends.

When I was changing my lifestyle, I was greatly inspired by people that had walked in my shoes. They were a beacon of hope for me.

My hungry eyes read that as "bacon of hope".... I am down with a pulled muscle & haven't been running for 8 days now - and I have had to really cut back on the calories to keep from packing on the weight in the meantime.  Sigh.

Chloey

Run Like a Mother

This thread just got really interesting to me.  I am from and married into a family full of educators and people in the medical field.  Seriously, if you don't teach or are not in the medical field, you are the odd man out.  I taught bilingual kindergarten until my kiddos were born and now I teach Ed classes at the local college.  Hubby is a vice principal at a k-7 school.  I'm not sure I see a higher rate of obesity among people in either field from the general public, but I think it has got to be equally as high. Which is thought provoking, especially considering the education that goes into both fields, and the fact that I am SURE 99% of people in both fields KNOW what they need to do to reverse the trend, both for themselves and those they work with.  The thing I think is really interesting and I think more of an issue than lack of knowledge is that both professions are inherently nurturing/caring professions.  They both also demand a lot of time.  So take an individual who naturally tends towards caring for others (often above themselves) and then put them in a job where they spend their day so busy that they don't have time to eat a proper meal, nor even use the restroom and you have the perfect storm for poor eating and health habits.  When I was teaching kinder I had a 30 minute lunch break.  In that 30 minutes I had to walk my 29 5 year old children out to recess, come back into the building, use the restroom, eat my lunch, typically have to deal with one of my little ones and some type of emergency, grab what I needed for the rest of the day's lessons, and be back outside to pick up the kiddos by the end of that 30 minutes, on the dot.  It left very little time for eating.  You learned to inhale your food.  I saw lots of poor food choices because they were fast.  I know it is similar in the medical profession.

So, I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but I am saying there is more to the problem than lack of education. Our culture has become so fast paced that convenience trumps nutrition, often.

And on a side note, I KNOW it isn't right, but I have a hard time taking medical advice from someone who is obese.  I am logical enough to know that doesn't affect their medical knowledge, I just have a hard time taking health advice from someone who isn't healthy.  Our former doctor was obese.  It was difficult.  And she isn't our former doctor because of her weight, she gave adamant advice, that if I would have followed would have killed my child. I simply couldn't trust her after that.  Now I see a doctor who also is into sports medicine.  My kids see a pedi who is very active and an avid cyclist.

notimeforthat

Good point Chloey.

I can tell you that when I was working in CCU, we ate whatever we could at the nurses station because the idea of an actual "lunch" was a joke. We barely had time to pee.

I am thinner now than I was then, but even the hospital cafeteria served fries, chicken tenders, burgers, pizza and other foods that are easy to shovel in and carry. Add to that the amount of food from a vending machine I ate, it was a miracle I wasn't 400 lbs. Add to that all the crap that reps bring in, patient families bringing donuts, it adds up QUICKLY. The MD lounges are stocked with free sodas, chips, frozen yogurt, vending type snacks. It is hard to stay on track working in that environment. You work 12 hour shifts and don't have time (or energy) to put in a hard effort on a workout, and it shows.

Now I can take a few and pack a lunch, I am not having to work swing shifts, so I get more regular rest and I am older, more settled and raising a family...so how I cook for them is well within my control. I have to see patients at 8, not be up and at work at 6, so I can wake up at 5 and get a swim/run in or I can wait until the kids are in bed and ride indoors if I need to.

It isn't as easy as "they are medical, they should know better". Hell, with all the information out there now about health and nutrition EVERYONE should know better. The simple fact is that it is easier to do what you want, when you want. It is the basic theme of our society as a whole.

Do what makes YOU happy. Don't be sad. Don't be uncomfortable. YOU DESERVE HAPPINESS!! Bullshit. You want it badly enough, then you will get up and go earn it. Until then, it won't happen. (PSA over).

FYI,

Sure, I still eat junk...had a fudge tart today. So freaking good, but I typically will eat a treat a day and then eat clean the rest of the meals/snacks.

flarunner

So, I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but I am saying there is more to the problem than lack of education. Our culture has become so fast paced that convenience trumps nutrition, often.

Good post Chloey, I just wanted to highlight the bolded.

Nevrgivup

Very valid points Chloey in regards to convenience. Like Al said, I am lucky if I eat by 3pm on most days and I work a twelve hour shift. What I have noticed are the days that I don't pack a lunch or snacks to eat in between I'm ravenous and usually go for the poorer nutritionally made meals. The good thing, is that I do eat fairly healthy on most days and exercise. As much as I hate to run after working a twelve hour shift, I do it because I know it's good for me.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del.