Beginners and Beyond

Friday Penguins are working for the weekend! (Read 187 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I will look into that and see If the boss (DW) is interested in doing that before sea world.

Tomas, if you don't want to go all the way out to San Marcos - it's about a 45 minute drive there from San Antonio - there are a few 5Ks right here in San Antonio on Saturday morning.   Go to this site and you can check them out:    http://www.centexruns.com/index.php/dec-2012-events/

And if you click on the "directions" tab on the site, you can put in your starting address and the site will give you directions from there to the race site, very convenient.

I will give you a short description of each:

The Santa Boogie 5K is being done right downtown, starting at HemiFair Park where the Tower of the Americas is.  I believe the registration includes a Santa suit that you run in.  If this is the 'usual' course they use for downtown 5Ks, the route will take you out and to the Alamodome and then back to the park.

Toys for Tots 5K is at Texas A&M University-San Antonio.  Good cause, but BORING course.  There is only one university building so far, and the route is pretty much out-and-back and along the main roads of the campus, with no real scenery to look at.

Santa Antonio 5K, you also wear the suit (optional).  It starts at Sunset Station, which is next door to the Alamodome downtown.  Hmm, I wonder if the Santas from the other 5K will run into the Santas from this event, lol.

The Urban Legend event is a night-time event.

One reason I picked the Sights and Sounds of Christmas 5K is that is a fairly nice and flat course - if they use the same course they've used before, and it takes you along some roads and nice trail, you even cross a small bridge over the river.  Also, they may have the Sights and Sounds decorations up, some of them anyway, for the festival, so it's nice post-race to go around and look at the balloons of Frosty, Rudolph, Santa, etc.  It's a fairly small event, maybe 100 to 200 people, but a nice one.  Just the drive-time is a kind of pain, but at least it's straight up to the 35 and then back.   Also, out of all of the above, this one is the cheapest, only $25 on Race Day, and $20 pre-registered.

On Sunday evening, I am doing the Realtor Run.  This an event that is at 5 PM and is done under the thousands of holiday lights at University of Incarnate Word.  It benefits Wounded Warriors, a cause important to me personally since I'm retired military.

On Sunday morning, there is the Color Me Rad 5K at AT&T Center.  This is pretty much a fun run, with you and everyone else there throwing various "colors" on you as you all run or walk along.

Are you staying overnight in San Antonio?  If you decide to do the 5K in San Marcos and want to do the event, and your family wants to sleep in, let me know, I can probably take you up and bring you back.   It does not start until 9 a.m., however, so with all my photo taking, etc., we won't even get back to San Antonio until around 11 a.m., so that might be a bit late for your 'boss' to go to SeaWorld.   Anyway, let me know, either way.   You can give me a call at home:  210-491-3488 and leave a message if I'm not there yet.   And no worries about me putting my phone here, heck, it's not an unlisted number, it's in the phone book, so it's not like people can't find it anyway.

Good luck to your team tonite, Tomas!  I'm not a real fan of Lexington, lol, so go your team!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Smile

Tomas, if you don't want to go all the way out to San Marcos - it's about a 45 minute drive there from San Antonio - there are a few 5Ks right here in San Antonio on Saturday morning.   Go to this site and you can check them out:    http://www.centexruns.com/index.php/dec-2012-events/

And if you click on the "directions" tab on the site, you can put in your starting address and the site will give you directions from there to the race site, very convenient.

I will give you a short description of each:

The Santa Boogie 5K is being done right downtown, starting at HemiFair Park where the Tower of the Americas is.  I believe the registration includes a Santa suit that you run in.  If this is the 'usual' course they use for downtown 5Ks, the route will take you out and to the Alamodome and then back to the park.

Toys for Tots 5K is at Texas A&M University-San Antonio.  Good cause, but BORING course.  There is only one university building so far, and the route is pretty much out-and-back and along the main roads of the campus, with no real scenery to look at.

Santa Antonio 5K, you also wear the suit (optional).  It starts at Sunset Station, which is next door to the Alamodome downtown.  Hmm, I wonder if the Santas from the other 5K will run into the Santas from this event, lol.

The Urban Legend event is a night-time event.

One reason I picked the Sights and Sounds of Christmas 5K is that is a fairly nice and flat course - if they use the same course they've used before, and it takes you along some roads and nice trail, you even cross a small bridge over the river.  Also, they may have the Sights and Sounds decorations up, some of them anyway, for the festival, so it's nice post-race to go around and look at the balloons of Frosty, Rudolph, Santa, etc.  It's a fairly small event, maybe 100 to 200 people, but a nice one.  Just the drive-time is a kind of pain, but at least it's straight up to the 35 and then back.   Also, out of all of the above, this one is the cheapest, only $25 on Race Day, and $20 pre-registered.

On Sunday evening, I am doing the Realtor Run.  This an event that is at 5 PM and is done under the thousands of holiday lights at University of Incarnate Word.  It benefits Wounded Warriors, a cause important to me personally since I'm retired military.

On Sunday morning, there is the Color Me Rad 5K at AT&T Center.  This is pretty much a fun run, with you and everyone else there throwing various "colors" on you as you all run or walk along.

Are you staying overnight in San Antonio?  If you decide to do the 5K in San Marcos and want to do the event, and your family wants to sleep in, let me know, I can probably take you up and bring you back.   It does not start until 9 a.m., however, so with all my photo taking, etc., we won't even get back to San Antonio until around 11 a.m., so that might be a bit late for your 'boss' to go to SeaWorld.   Anyway, let me know, either way.   You can give me a call at home:  210-491-3488 and leave a message if I'm not there yet.   And no worries about me putting my phone here, heck, it's not an unlisted number, it's in the phone book, so it's not like people can't find it anyway.

Good luck to your team tonite, Tomas!  I'm not a real fan of Lexington, lol, so go your team!

I wanna go too !!!!    Cry

Robert31320

Team TJ

No run day 5 for me.  Foot feel good now.

Saturday morning, I run!  I have $30 invested in that one so not running is mot an option.

Running for TJ because he can't.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Good luck with your race tomorrow, Jack!  Sounds like a long day for you tomorrow.  Good luck with the muddy course if the race uses the original course.  Sounds like it would be fun, though. Unless it's a cold rain, that's not so fun.  Your band " is playing a big thing"?  OK, I did laugh when I read that statement, my warped mind came up with all sorts of images, lol.   How do you discipline a band?  Use its tuba four...Wink

Jerry, you are soon going to be the running tights King!  Hope your DW feels 100% again in no time.

Nice shiny new avatar, Zelanie!  At least it's new for me, first time I've seen that one.  Maybe my DW is right...I don't pay enough attention. Joking  Congrats on the progress in your running week and the weekly mileage!

HsM, you changed your forum name!  Are you now Singer Who Runs? So sorry you are still having knee issues.

RWOL's loss, Damaris, that we all moved over here, cuz we are some good people. Big grin It does seem to be a lot "cleaner" over here, though, less problems, etc.   I will probably still post my reports over there cuz they are more photo-friendly, at least, for that type of thing, so that's something. Then I will just put the link over here for y'all to go directly to it, without having to search through the spam, etc. 

Mitch, hope your miles went well! 

Yes, Lauren, take a rest day, don't trash the Great Legs! Great Legs are a terrible thing to waste! Shocked  You have to make sure they stay nice and health for a future chase with me. Wink

Enjoy your rest day SheCan!  Sorry about the family issue, hope everything is worked out, or works out.

Dang, Kristin, I'm glad I did not watch that game, then, as I wanted Rutgers to win also.   Safe trip to Delaware and hope you enjoy yourself there.

Enjoy the no work day with your little one, Mickey! 

Gee, Bill, I bet you are really not that old or fat, or slow, lol.  Congrats on getting your miles in.

Happy miles tonite, Lenard.

Safe trip, Damaris! Where is the racing young lady off to this trip?

Good luck with your race, Robert!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Sloooow.

I have about 2 hours to go before we leave for my 5K, my stomach is in knots! I managed 2 miles on the treadmill last night before my belt started slipping again. I've only had one outdoor run since my last 5K, and it was a measly 1.5 miles.

I wasn't this nervous before my first 5K! I think it's because I knew from last years results, that there would be a lot of walkers, so at least I wouldn't be last. This one, I don't know.

Only good thing is, the race is during the Lights Festival, so there is plenty for the girls to do. They should have a blast!

SheCan

Good luck, CoralieT!  

If this is a jingle bell jog, a lot of people will be going slow and just having fun with it.  I hope your stomach has settled some, and you can get your mind in a positive place.  You'll do however you're going to do, and you can't change it now.  So best of luck to you, and think happy thoughts!  Hugs!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Singer who runs a smidge

HsM, you changed your forum name!  Are you now Singer Who Runs? So sorry you are still having knee issues.

No no, I will always be HopesMom!  I promised Hope!  Singer who runs is more of a tagline.  Like yours could be "Great legs chaser" or "DOMIS charter member" or "Look out, deer!  Thud!" or something like that.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Just poking my head in for a second.  I'm headed out for day 7 (41 miles).

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

I have about 2 hours to go before we leave for my 5K, my stomach is in knots! I managed 2 miles on the treadmill last night before my belt started slipping again. I've only had one outdoor run since my last 5K, and it was a measly 1.5 miles.

I wasn't this nervous before my first 5K! I think it's because I knew from last years results, that there would be a lot of walkers, so at least I wouldn't be last. This one, I don't know.

Only good thing is, the race is during the Lights Festival, so there is plenty for the girls to do. They should have a blast!

Run Coralie Run !!!!!

Dad on the run.

Just stopping in to say hey. 7 miles so far this week Sad its been crazy. Hopefully can get 6 or 7 in on Sunday as we have family over tomorrow and I'm at work until 5am.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens,

If you are home tomorrow, try this website. My 5k might be on there. It is at 7:30am PST and I am in the open division running with all the 20 year olds. It should make for some good laughs!

From the Internet.

Awood, you're a machine! Scotty, motivation enough for me Smile Enjoying an evening off!