Beginners and Beyond

Fall Back Weekend Penguins (Read 19 times)

GinnyinPA

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

GinnyinPA

PAD - how did your 5k go?

Scotty - how many races this weekend?

D - how do you like Indianapolis?

Anybody else running this weekend?

It's a beautiful cool autumn weekend, so I'm hoping to get to the mountains this afternoon for a scuffle through the fallen leaves with Jim and Ben.

PADRunner

PAD - how did your 5k go?

Scotty - how many races this weekend?

D - how do you like Indianapolis?

Anybody else running this weekend?

It's a beautiful cool autumn weekend, so I'm hoping to get to the mountains this afternoon for a scuffle through the fallen leaves with Jim and Ben.

Had to leave right after so not sure overall. Possible PR at least sub 30.

It's The Breeders Cup weekend. The second biggest day in horse racing.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

No running for me lately.  I've been trying to at least walk though.

Ginny - have fun in the mountains :-)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

From the Internet.

Hi pens!

I am fighting off my second cold of the last 3 weeks, and I have registered for another marathon because I'm insane. Sugarloaf on May 21!

Ran 8.5 too fast with my club this morning and I feel better than I have the last few days of not running.

GinnyinPA

PAD - how does a race in California affect you at the track in Texas?

Jill - not running because you lack time or because you're injured?  Have you found any good routes around your new home?

Lauren - sorry about the cold. May is a good time for a marathon. By the time you are doing your longer runs, the snow should be gone. Nice.

We did 7 miles on the AT. Beautiful!

Zelanie

Ginny, did you hear about the guy that just finished the AT, the PCT, and the Continental Divide trail this year?

To answer your question the other day, I had parent teacher conferences this week, plus an assignment due for my class.  I'm still getting at least my mile in, so the streak is up to 97 days.  At this point, I've told myself that I need to have a very good reason if I want to break it.  And I'm never too busy that I can't find 12 minutes or so even on the toughest day.

PAD- Congrats and I hope that you get that PR!

Jill- Hi!  How's the house coming along?

Lauren- Congrats! Smile

I see congratulations are also in order for Damaris.

Today I ran 6 in the rain with the dogs.  It was wet enough that they didn't even bother to play in the puddles.

GinnyinPA

PAD - exciting race!

PADRunner

Jill - not running because you lack time or because you're injured?  Have you found any good routes around your new home?

Lauren - sorry about the cold. May is a good time for a marathon. By the time you are doing your longer runs, the snow should be gone. Nice.

We have off track betting so they can bet on the races. It's not just one race.,there are 4 on Friday and 9 on Saturday. They have to qualify for the races so they are the best horses and they attract bigger crowds.

Time to get out for 13-14 this morning. Clocks changed, body didn't. Still dark.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

I've been a little sick lately, but I probably could woman up and run.  I've had a bit of a lack of time, but mostly it is just laziness.  Once I decided to defer from the marathon, I really, really lost my mojo.  There's a nice park that I can run to and do a loop of which is about a 4 mile run.  I live maybe 1.5 miles from a really nice track as well so I could totally do speed work.

Today is the NYCM.  I'm thinking of going into the city and cheering at mile 25 with some friends, but first I've got a bunch of house stuff to do.  We need to remount a toilet in the basement and clean the grout in the basement bathroom.  I forgot about it, so I also need to paint that bathroom.  Luckily it is mostly tile so there isn't too much paint to deal with.  I've also had a leak coming in from one of the sliding glass doors, so I need to caulk it and fix that.  I've been doing 90% of the house stuff - my husband mostly just helps with stuff that is too "heavy" for me to deal with - so I'll have him lift the toilet and etc, but I'll probably do most of the work with the wax ring.   Likewise he helps me carry around furniture to the appropriate room, but I do most of the building.  It is fair as he works full time and I work part time, but damn it feels like all I've been doing for weeks is house stuff.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

11 run/walk on the bike path. Perfect day.  Can't always see the edge of the path through the leaves, so it gets interesting with the cyclists having the same problem.  Going into the city tonight for dinner with the girls and maybe take some photos at Wrigley.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Congrats on Indy, Docket Smile

GinnyinPA

I drove down to the C&O canal towpath to enjoy another gorgeous day. The plan was to do 12, or more if I was feeling good.  Instead, at mile 10 I tripped over nothing, landing hard on my side. A runner who was walking past helped me up and we walked the two miles back to the parking lot. It hadn't been a particularly good run before that, and after the fall I just said forget it. The good news is the knee didn't get hit again; the bad news is the shoulder was and I think I pulled or bruised a muscle in my side. Short term damage, but painful.

Zelanie

Ouch, Ginny!  Glad you had some company and hope you heal up soon.

I ran 16.  It wasn't really a LR weekend, but since I didn't run long last weekend, I figured I should.  It went pretty well.  I was tired from like mile 2 on, but never really got more tired.  If anything, I felt better as I went.  Except I must be used to running a "cooldown" mile because I kinda tanked that one.  I had brought my phone for audiobooks and was goofing around and texting while running that last mile.

Docket_Rocket

Hi, guys.  Thanks for the thoughts.  I loved Indy but had a tough race.  Without Mary, I probably would have walked after Mile 14 the rest of the way.  Had a tough breathing time, going from 10:30 to 13mm, but Mary kept me walk/running until I cross the finish.  But still, 25 minutes faster than Chicago, so happy with that.  now to work for faster than that in three weeks!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page