Beginners and Beyond

Snuffly Monday Penguins, blech. (Read 24 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

My allergies last weekend turned out to be a head cold that continued through this past weekend, and beyond.  I missed work Thursday and Friday, plus chorus rehearsal Thursday, a chorus gig on Saturday, and church on Sunday.  I'm back at work today wishing I weren't, but I leave for contest on Thursday, so I have to get better quickly!  And I am getting better, but slowly.

So blech.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Brilliant

Feel better soon, HopesMom!  Rest and drink lots of OJ between now and Thursday.

Headed out for an easy run - 6 if it feels good.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

HsM - I'm also an allergic mess.  I forgot to take claritin yesterday morning and only ran 2.7 of my planned 6.  After a mile in a had a pounding sinus headache and by 1.5 miles I was having trouble breathing.  I slowed way down and headed home.  Today is a rest day so I'm trying to clean my apartment really well so that I can help control my symptoms.  My lungs are still on fire so I'm probably going to give in and take a couple puffs of my albuterol to help with the breathing.  I hate allergy season =(

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Robert31320

Team TJ

Rest day for me.  The pollen is starting to get to me and I'm enjoying it with a side of a toothache since Saturday evening...

Running for TJ because he can't.

Zelanie

Hey guys!  Spring break is finally here- yes!  I very much needed this time.  Not too much planned, just catching up on this and that, but it is nice.  Today I am hoping to get the taxes done, for example.  6-8 planned with a friend this evening.

HsM- Hope you feel better soon!

Brilliant- You are just right back into it.  Hope the legs feel good!

sapf- It doesn't seem fair that allergy season would hit so soon after snow!

Robert- Hope you can get in to get that tooth looked at soon!

tracilynn

Sorry to all the allergy sufferers. Lots of allergies and sickness right now, and a toothache that's no good.

Around here a really bad puking stomach virus is going around. I sure hope we don't catch that. Ugh!! 

Spring break here this week and we are outside playing and digging for  pet worms.

SRD for me.

~~~~~~~

Traci

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Snow day, I'm going to the gym to use the strength machines.  I never know whether I should use the leg machines, as I run the same or next day.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

My running is bad. It seems that this marathon cycle was just not meant to be.  Bad news on my mom. She has lung cancer and is going in this week or next for surgery. The good news is (if there is such a thing when talking about cancer) is that they think they got it early. Full credit to my mom because she has a great attitude and high spirits.  To my FB friends, please don't say anything about it on FB. Here is fine, just not on FB.

See ya.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Jack - I'm really sorry to hear about your mom.  If they truly caught it early she may be just fine.  My mom has had cancer three times - but they caught it early every time and she's still alive and kicking.  But having a parent with cancer is really terrifying and draining :-(  ::hugs::

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

PADRunner

Hope everyone feels better.

RD for me after yesterdays 24m LR. Taper time...

Singer who runs a smidge

Hi Pens.

My running is bad. It seems that this marathon cycle was just not meant to be.  Bad news on my mom. She has lung cancer and is going in this week or next for surgery. The good news is (if there is such a thing when talking about cancer) is that they think they got it early. Full credit to my mom because she has a great attitude and high spirits.  To my FB friends, please don't say anything about it on FB. Here is fine, just not on FB.

See ya.

Jack, so sorry to hear about your mom!!  But yeah, I'd be pinning my hopes on them catching it early too.  Hope all goes well!

LRB

If Mother Jack is anything like lil Jack everything will work out good. 

GinnyinPA

HopesMom - sorry for the cold that screwed up your week.  I hope you are well enough to compete next weekend.  Lots of tea with honey and orange juice.

Jack - I'm sorry about your mom.  I have lots of cancers in my family, but all the close relatives were lucky that it was caught early.  My Dad is about 6 or 7 years post lung cancer surgery, still going strong at 90.  What's going on with your running?  Ankle again?

Brilliant - I hope your legs allowed you to run strong today.

sapf - sorry the allergies have gotten to you already.  I had the thought yesterday that one of the problems with spring races is all the pollen in the air.

Robert - I hope your tooth stops hurting.  Do you have an appt. with a dentist?

Z - enjoy your much deserved spring break.  Relax and enjoy.  Hope your run this evening is a good one.

Traci - I saw a FB poster today about how in the spring, kids should smell like dirt.  I agree.  Have fun.

Jerry - I saw that you folks were getting snow today.  Have fun at the gym.

PAD - you did 24 yesterday?  Congratulations, I think.  That hurts to think about.

RD for me.  We walked Ben this morning and my leg barely hurt, which makes me feel a little better about continuing training.  We'll see how it goes.

Zelanie

Jack- Glad they caught it early and are getting her in soon. It's not the same kind, but my dad is almost 17 years post-op from brain cancer and is doing great. I will have to echo LRB and say that if she's half as tough as you are, she's got a lot going for her!

As fas as the marathon, if you dropped, do you have a chance for another BQ cycle later in the year? If so, cutting your losses now might make it easier for you to have another good training cycle later.

Ginny- I posted pretty late last night, but I was wondering what kind of fueling strategy you ended up deciding on. Actually, I could ask that of PAD, too. What do you guys take on your training runs? Do you take anything for non-long runs?

PAD- 24 miles, holy cow! Rest up!