Beginners and Beyond

Syrupy Wednesday Penguins (Read 30 times)

PADRunner

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

It's National Maple Syrup Day!

"Once you have decided that winning isn't everything, you become a winner."

--GEORGE SHEEHAN

PADRunner

5 done this morning. Breakfasting on oatmeal chia and maple syrup.

Reclast treatment later today, hopeful for no side effects interfering with training.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

PAD does the title....I find the photo.... 

Did 3 miles after work yesterday around the university campus, starting and finishing at the university gym.   Cloudy and overcast as we have a front moving in this week, but still a pleasant temp of 65 degrees at 4:30 p.m.  After I was back at the gym, I got all motivated for some reason to do my weight training circuit, so got in another 45 minutes of exercise.  My body must have been in shock after that - especially as I haven't done my weight training in about a month - cuz after I got home I sat down in my chair and promptly fell asleep.

Today I plan to do about 4 miles.  Will not be as pleasant weather as yesterday.  The "front" arrived late last night.  This morning a really stiff wind blowing, temp in the low 40s, drizzly rain, will be about 54 for the high today at my run/walk time.

Oh yeah, and for Kathleen, per the 'donut talk' yesterday.. you know, there is a Krispy Kreme 5K in several places in the US.  In order to qualify for an award - at least at our local one here - you have to eat 6 donuts at the start....and then 6 at the turn-around point - your race bib is marked accordingly, verifying you did eat them.   12 donuts total, oh my!     So there you go!   Maybe there is Krispy Kreme race in your area.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

on my way to badass

Morning PAD, Scotty and Penguins! 12 donuts??!! Just the thought makes me feel a little sick. 2.5 miles done on the hamster wheel. 5K race on Saturday.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I barely made it to two miles last night and I was achy and dizzy so I stopped. We'll see tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning.  Good luck with the test PAD.

Enjoy the "cool" run Scotty.

Good luck Saturday, SF.

Short run for us this afternoon.  Last work day of the year for my boss. Sniff, sniff.

PADRunner

There's also the Hypnotic Donut Dash 5K. They are vegan so they are good for you!

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I am loving today, because in two hours I'm leaving for a gig and I will be off work until January 5th!!  I have a chorus gig tomorrow at noon which pretty much keeps me from driving in to work at all (I mean, who wants to drive two hours to work three hours?), and there's not much use coming in on Friday before the university shuts down for two weeks.  So 2.5 weeks of vacation for me!!  Tomorrow's gig will be more fun than today's, because it's for the Military Officers Association of America, and we always end that show with Armed Forces Medley.  Each person stands up when their branch's song comes on, and it's a beautiful thing.  Woo-hoo!!

PAD -- Hoping for no side effects!!

Scotty -- cute penguin syrup!!  Are you sore today?

Stone -- woo-hoo for your hamster wheel!!

Docket -- achy and dizzy is no good!!  Hoping for better today!!

Jerryb -- nope, nothing to do with Duck Dynasty.  So sad your boss isn't working more this year!! 

Brilliant from yesterday -- I don't label food good or bad, it's just food, not morality, and everything has calories.  So I'm not afraid of your calorie counts, and my donut yesterday was quite yummy!!  Tonight's will be too ...

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

We had quite the thunder and lightning show this morning at 2. A storm parked right on top of us. It was so close that the thunder and lightning happened at the same time. Lots of rain and hail, well. Now that I think of it I wish I got some video of it but my brain doesn't work like that. I don't go rushing for my phone at the drop of a hat, it just doesn't occur to me. Besides, I wanted to stay in bed.

I'm hoping for 3x1 mile intervals tonight as a last little tune up before Sunday's HM. It will be dark and wet so I may end up driving to the track. They have lights and a good surface.

See ya.

Singer who runs a smidge

Ok, so make it an hour and a half.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all Penguins!!  I'm outta here!!! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Hi Pens!

I'm going to head out for 4 soon :-)

I have a rather ambitious plan for Sunday (please tell me if this is completely stupid).  I'm going to jog to the race I'm running with Jess (my new to running friend) and run the entire 10k with her.  It is her first 10k and she'll probably be aiming for an 11:30 pace, then I'll enjoy a bit of the post race festivities and jog back home.  So the mileage would be (2.6)x2+6.2 = 11.4 miles.  I'll treat it as my long run for the week.  Typically I do my long runs around 12 min/mile pace.  I figure if I jog there and back at around a 12:30 pace it'll even out to the normal pace of my long runs.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

From the Internet.

Hi pens!

I have been very crabby as of late. Super tired, bloodwork showed nothing unusual (ferritin was 29, which is lower than I'd like it to be but I don't think it's low enough to make me want to sleep foreverrrrr). Just trying to sleep a lot and eat reasonably well, still running a fair amount since that's the thing that gets me out of bed in the morning. Well, that and hungry kid and cats.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Lauren - feel better and take care of yourself.  Maybe it is just a bit of seasonal depression.  A lot of people have issues during this time of the year.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

From the Internet.

sapf - thanks, that's what I'm thinking it must be at this point. Just irritated that it doesn't seem to be something I can fix with iron and vitamins, ha.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Lauren - You can try a therapy light.  They do help some people.  Vitamin D may also help.