Beginners and Beyond

Race Report - The 2015 OC Half Marathon (Read 52 times)

You Rang?

Executive Summary

An early morning run through some fabulously wealthy neighborhoods in the OC to a new half marathon PR and first sub 2:00 half.

Much Longer Version

This morning I ran the OC Half Marathon. Although I’ve lived in Orange County, California for my entire running career, this is the first time I’d run the OC Half   It’s also the first point to point race I’ve ever run.

I had no specific training plan for this race. I’m in week 2 of Pfitz’s 18/55 marathon training plan for the Santa Rosa Marathon in Northern California in late August. I simply substituted this 13.1-mile race for whatever Pete Pfitziger would have otherwise scheduled for a long run. Marathon long training runs are supposed to be long and slow. This run would be neither. With a half marathon PR of 2:04 from January, and a disappointing showing at the Surf City Half, the goal today is go sub two.

My wife and I arrived at the Orange County Fair Grounds at 4:30 this morning. The Fair Grounds host the finish line and party. I got on a school bus for Fashion Island Shopping Mall in Newport Beach and the starting line. My wife went to the car and went back to sleep.

The First Four Miles

Fashion Island hosts the start for both the half and full marathon. At 6:15 am, the air horn goes off for the half marathon, and we head down Newport Center Drive to MacArthur Boulevard. From MacArthur, I head down the hill to sleepy seaside neighborhood of Corona del Mar. The view going down this hill is normally quite stunning. Today, it is gray, foggy and dark. With an air temp in the low 60’s and no wind, this is good running weather.

The course snakes through Corona del Mar, where the houses cost more than the amount of money I’ll make in my lifetime. Most of the houses were empty. I think they are summer rentals or only seasonally occupied. One that was occupied has their residents on their patio sipping champaign watching us all run by. Ahhh the CDM life.

At the end of mile two, my watch buzzes and says 8:18. Whoa. I’ve heard of people “going out too fast”. Until today, I’ve never actually done it.   I tend to run negative splits.  Passing the mile three marker, I tell myself, “Slow it down. The Fair Grounds are a long way away.”

Mile 1 – 9:02

Mile 2 – 8:18

Mile 3 – 8:36

Mile 4 – 8:50

Miles Five through Eight

I left CDM and headed into Newport Beach proper. I was treated to more really expensive homes, including one street where every car parked on the street was made Germany, (MBZ, Audi, and BMW). Not a VW is sight. I ran along Pacific Coast Highway, which was kinda strange because I regularly drive down PCH home from work.

I ran over the bridge over Newport Channel, under the highway, up Dover St. and onto the bluffs that overlook the west side of Newport Back Bay. The first of two big hills now awaited me.

Mile 5 – 8:42

Mile 6 – 8:47

Mile 7 – 8:54

Mile 8 – 9:16

Miles Nine to Twelve

Once on the bluff, I followed a trail through a nature preserve/field of weeds along the bluff. The course is kind of narrow as it is a two-lane bike path. I’m treated to a beautiful view of the Back Bay, more really expensive homes, and Fashion Island (the starting point). The residents of these homes are on their patios cheering.

The trail ends onto Irvine Avenue, where the second big hill awaits. As I run up the hill, I notice the planes taking off from John Wayne Airport. The airport is near the fair grounds and the finish line. That’s good because I’m really beginning to feel this pace.

Mile 9 – 9:03

Mile 10 – 9:06

Mile 11 – 8:57

Mile 12 – 9:08

The Last One and a Tenth of a Mile

Near the airport, the course jogs over to Santa Ana Avenue. The full marathoners head north for another fourteen miles of city streets in Santa Ana. They get to see how the other half live. I hang a left onto Mesa and head into the Fair Grounds.

Mesa Ave. is lined with cheering people here, including one guy dancing around to a rap tune whose sole words are “Jesus is Coming Back”. As I pass this fellow, I think, Jesus coming back right about now would be nice. I’m miserable. I’m just a ball of pain from the waist down.

Mile 13 – 8:44

The last little bit -8:11 mm pace

Total Time – 1:57:26 – a Six Minute PR and first Sub Two Hour half marathon.

My chip time at the 5k split was 0:27:00 and was 54:26 at the 10k split. That 10k split time would be a new PR if this was a 10k race…. Note to self: Time to find a 10k race!

I’m beginning to rethink my goal time in Santa Rosa. I’d planned to chase Oprah (4:29), but given this strong showing here, maybe I should adjust my goal pace down to 4:20.

My next race is the rolling freak show that is Bay to Breakers in San Francisco in two weeks. I’ll be one of the six runners wearing clothes. After B2B, I’ve got a long summer of training for Santa Rosa.

Thanks for reading!

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

music_girl117

Congratulations on a wonderful race!  Your splits look good and you were very smart to pull back after that fast 2nd mile.  A six-minute PR is gigantic, great work!

I liked reading about the route - I spent 6 weeks in Irvine last summer and did a few runs out along the roads you mention (and the OC Fair 5k!).  Nice area.

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

Brilliant

Nice PR!  You didn't let those hills slow you down!

Until I read your RR, I had no idea Oprah did a marathon.  Had to google it.  Well, now I have a new goal.  I might never BQ but I want to beat Oprah. Big grin

Half Crazy K 2.0

Congratulations on the PR and sub 2 hour race!

What's the weather like in Northern CA in August? I'm on the opposite coast, so late August is basically like being in a sauna.

Docket_Rocket

Congrats on the PR and the Sub-2!

Was the weather better than the Surf City HM?  I bet you it was because even for me, that sun was a killer that day.  You were due a great race today!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Congrats, Lurch. That sounds like a great race. I know the area and you are spot on about the houses. Good luck with the Pfitz plan and have fun in Santa Rosa. We did that last year and it was great.

You Rang?

Musicgirl117 - Thank you for your kind words

Brilliant - I learned about Oprah from the Marine Corps Marathon.  In the starting corral, the race announcer asked us, "How many of you are going to BQ?"  The crowd made some noise.  Then he asked, "How many of you are going to beat Oprah?"  and the place went wild.  As to running Boston, my usual answers is that I'm not old enough.  The older the runner, the more liberal the qualifying time.  As my speeds decrease, the qualifying time increases.  Maybe by the time I'm 60 I'll qualify, but I will run Boston!

Half Crazy K 2.0 - I'll let you know what the weather is like in Santa Rosa in August.  The race promoters say the weather is ideal for running.  The race promoters also happen to run a winery, so I'm not certain what they know about running at all.  I picked Santa Rosa more for it's location on the map (500 miles north), and on my calendar.

Docket - Today's weather was perfect.  The low overcast (that keeps the sun at bay and temperatures low) that burned off at the start of Surf City (and caused us to bake) burned off as I got in my car to drive home today.

Jack K - Thanks!

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

Zelanie

Congrats on the sub-2, Lurch!  I love to see how speedy you're getting! Smile  Your RR reminds me of our (mostly) annual trips to Balboa Island.  It's always fun driving our 10-year old Mazda down MacArthur.   One time we were there, and a kid was having a fit because they didn't have tiramisu at the Balboa Bar stand.

I've been training with a friend who also has "beat Oprah" as more or less her goal.  But then she's decided that there's no need to really discredit Oprah's accomplishment.  She trained for it, she ran the race, you know?  I could use the support staff that she probably had, though!

Your last 5K looks pretty strong considering your early pace.  Well done!

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Wow Lurch - you've been making really excellent and wonderful progress lately =D

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

bluerun

Super B****

Congrats on the sub-2!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

hog4life

Wow, that's a big PR, congrats!

Congrats Lurch!

Good luck with your training for the full.

delicate flower

Aaaaaaaand BOOM.  Nice going, Lurch!  That marathon PR is going to fall, and it's going to fall big.

<3

Cyberic

Yes! Great Sub-2 and PR Lurch!

LRB

Note to self: Time to find a 10k race!

Word.

Nice job Rick-a-Roni. Lots of sub-9:00 miles there which shows you are improving.

I would not worry with selecting a goal pace for your marathon just yet. Just keep training and keep getting better and better. That way you will not limit yourself just in case your fitness increases substantially between now and then.