Beginners and Beyond

Question Regarding Speed Work & Doubles (Read 61 times)

LRB

Once again Hansons Running will sponsor supported speed work sessions beginning May 7 at 6:00 pm, that run through September. 

These free, structured sessions vary in length from week to week i.e. 5 X 1000's, 4 X 1200's, mile repeats etc.  They provide refreshments, mark off the course, and give you that days workout.  

I went to one last year and it is pretty cool because you get to chew the fat with runners of all abilities, while sharing the pain of speed work so to speak.  There are also shoe reps who show up and allow you to train in their latest models some weeks.

My question is what effects would running say 6 easy miles the morning of these sessions have on the speed session itself?  And would my subsequent Wednesday morning easy run be any more taxing? 

Of course, I could always forego the Tuesday morning run, but I have been tinkering with running doubles every other Tuesday the past month, and have come to like it.  The only difference is currently I do speed work during the morning run, then run 4 easy in the evening.  

Also, is anyone doing three days of speed work a week?  If so, have you experienced any drawbacks from that?  I tried it last week for the first time (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday) and seem to have recovered well.  I would like to continue that for a bit but am concerned about potential cumulative effects.

Thanks.

Docket_Rocket

How often do you do doubles?  I've done a recovery run in the morning followed by a MLR or a speedwork session that afternoon without any pace effects.  It all depends on how used to them you are and your recovery.  Maybe instead of eliminating the run start with a shorter run until you can do both?  Or if you don't see any benefit coming up from the easy morning run, then let it go.

As to the next morning's run, if you recover well, there shouldn't be an issue on the easy run.  The speedwork will benefit you more so that if the next morning the pace is a tad slower, you're still doing some aerobic workout while putting some miles too.

When I did Daniels for my 10K last year, I was doing 2-3 speedwork sessions a week.  I had some issues related to asthma but I don't think I ever felt too overwhelmed.  You do need a strong base for that but I think you might do fine.

Once again Hansons Running will sponsor supported speed work sessions beginning May 7 at 6:00 pm, that run through September. 

These free, structured sessions vary in length from week to week i.e. 5 X 1000's, 4 X 1200's, mile repeats etc.  They provide refreshments, mark off the course, and give you that days workout.  

I went to one last year and it is pretty cool because you get to chew the fat with runners of all abilities, while sharing the pain of speed work so to speak.  There are also shoe reps who show up and allow you to train in their latest models some weeks.

My question is what effects would running say 6 easy miles the morning of these sessions have on the speed session itself?  And would my subsequent Wednesday morning easy run be any more taxing? 

Of course, I could always forego the Tuesday morning run, but I have been tinkering with running doubles every other Tuesday the past month, and have come to like it.  The only difference is currently I do speed work during the morning run, then run 4 easy in the evening.  

Also, is anyone doing three days of speed work a week?  If so, have you experienced any drawbacks from that?  I tried it last week for the first time (Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday) and seem to have recovered well.  I would like to continue that for a bit but am concerned about potential cumulative effects.

Thanks.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I don't see any issue.  Yep, that's my answer.  Really, all it takes is a little discipline to keep your 6 miles on the easy end of easy pace.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

B-Plus

I like a nice and slow 30-40 minute run the morning of speedwork to help loosen things up. The next day shouldn't be any more taxing than it is now. Why don't you try swapping your runs next Tuesday to see how you respond?

If you have a sufficient base (I think you do), and you take the morning 6er easy enough, should not only have no ill effect, but probably have a positive effect on the speed session. You can look at my log, there's all kinds of doubles going there. I only just recently started doing the speed stuff not on double days, but that's because I started working in lifting on speed days (to keep hard days hard and easy days truly easy)...but...I always find my afternoon session better/looser if I've done a morning session. This is especially true of races (the ultimate speedwork) - so I love an evening race where I've done some easy work earlier in the day.

As for 3 days a week of "speed". Yes. Tempo run, interval/fartlek, and a "moderate" long run (HMish + a few seconds). Been doing that for 3 to 4 months. Best 4 months training I've had. Busted through a huge time barrier on 5k. As long as your body is telling you it can handle it, I would do it.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

Resident Historian

Morning easy run before evening speedwork - good.

Three SPEED workouts a week is more than I like personally or for my runners. It could well have a cumulative fatigue effect if continued.  
              As G'ville suggests, 2 harder runs during the week + a moderate long run / long run with some MP is more acceptable over a longer period.

I like a pattern of three hard workouts one week, two the next week.   I usually do this my setting the entire long run at truly easy pace in the "two" week.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Adam_McAllen

Beer-and-waffle Powered

Give it a shot while listening to your body, if you can handle it then it should help you a lot.

Personally, when I was running 55-60 mpw and track I would run 40 mins in the mornings when we had afternoon workouts and it was pretty sweet. We also did workouts Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday with a long run on Sunday. It was a tough schedule, but it certainly whooped me into shape. I'm definitely glad I was able to take the odd workout off when I was feeling less than 100%.

In the words of my late-coach : Just hang in there, relax... and at the end of a race anyone you see.....just pass them

Love the Half

I run doubles most days but six miles is a bunch.  In a good speed session, you're going to be running 8-10 miles with warm up and cool down.  The reality is that if you run more than 45 minutes, you're not doing a recovery jog and recovery will take longer.  I keep my morning jogs about half an hour which turns into about 3 1/2 to 4 miles.  Occasionally I'll stretch it to 5 1/2 or even 6 but that is only if I'm just planning to run easy later that day.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).