Beginners and Beyond

Week 39 Penguins and Bluebirds!! (09/23-09/29) (Read 11 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is National Bluebird of Happiness Day.  Reminds me of a benediction from a preacher in my grad school days.  He would always end his benedictions with "And may the Bluebird of Happiness fly up your nose!!"

As it turns out, my trike was not so much completely broken as slightly mis-set.  DH adjusted the screw which tightens the handlebars, and it seemed to work fine.  So I biked in this morning in a slight drizzle, and was much happier than if I'd had to park in the deck.  I'm just over trying to maneuver around so many cars to find one tight parking spot while insanity and chaos rage around you.

Ok, it's not that bad.  But biking is more fun.  And the new bike lane they're striping is between the curb and the new parking spaces they're also striping, which seems weird.  And a little unsafe, because it puts the bikers on the driver's side of the car, where people are more likely to open a door right in front of you.  But much to my relief, the bike lane does seem to be wide enough for my trike.  I was worried about that.  Anyway, guess I'll see how it goes.

I have multiple emails I'm trying to ignore.  Which is not really a good plan ... it's not like they're going away ...

Happy Monday, y'all!  See any bluebirds around?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 4 miles tonight.

Never seen a bluebird, that I know of.  Glad the trike is A-OK!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

D - you have a lot of blue jays in Florida, I don't know if the bluebirds go that far south.

HM - I'm glad your bike wasn't truly broken.

Singer who runs a smidge

I'm glad my trike wasn't truly broken too, and enjoyed my ride in today, even though I had to pee.  My tech had a doctor appointment scheduled for this morning, and then it got shifted to tomorrow morning ... but today he's not here.  Well, hopefully this will be the end of all the drama, and hopefully my second choice will still be available.

Looks like he did call about 9:45, but didn't leave a voicemail.  Which isn't too surprising -- the number for the lab that has voicemail isn't the one that's top on the list on the website.

The uncertainty remains ...

Singer who runs a smidge

And an update -- he called in to tell me he's under the weather again today and headed to an urgent care clinic.  I told him I wanted him to take care of his health, but as we agreed, I want his resignation by close of business today, or I will start termination.

Docket_Rocket

Ugh, HopesMom.  What a mess.  Hoping you can find a better assistant soon.

I have Pilates and most likely my RD.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, I have the resignation letter, and we've all scurried around to make sure all the "separation requirements" are fulfilled in a timely fashion -- you're supposed to have all the checklist done by the end of the pay period which contains the employee's last day.  Turns out my tech ended up resigning on the last day of the pay period, so technically we're supposed to get all that stuff done same day.  Which seems a little ridiculous, but it's not my policy, so what do I know?  Anyway, not sure when my tech will come back to turn in his keys and badge, or maybe he'll just mail them back?  Who knows.

And I'm told that because of the date of the original posting (May/June), I will indeed have to start all over.  Hooray.  Well, I should have a new tech by Christmas or so ... 

Biking in was lovely, though warm, and I forgot my shades.  Doh!!  That's what I get for making sure I got my headlight into my backpack.  Hey, they were calling for fog!!

Docket_Rocket

Grrrr. Glad that is done, though.  You don't need that kind of stress.

I think my headache issue is more either an ear infection and/or a broken tooth or cavity or something.  The pain is concentrated now on the left side of my face and it's not too bad (mild or light) but with ear pain, it makes it feel like OMG.

I have Pilates and either 6 with intervals or 15.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Know anybody who smokes a pipe?  Isn't having pipe smoke blown in your ear an old-time remedy for earache and toothache?  Though I bet it wouldn't go well with your asthma, unless they've got really good aim ...

Docket_Rocket

Fortunately, I don't.  LOL.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

Remember me?

I'm now in the non-runner category. Yay me. I'm having some back issues, not new but not diagnosed. Or ignored, take your pick. I had a streak of 10,000+ steps walking for 76 days just to feel like I was doing something. Burned myself out, so now it's just whatever I feel like doing. I'm doing 'cardio' in the pool. Pool running is no joke.

GinnyinPA

Hi stlth.rnr - pool running can be helpful, especially with back or knee issues. Nice job on the daily 10,000 steps

D - I hope you are able to get help for your sore tooth/sinus. I assume the 15 is if you don't see a doctor today and the 6 is if you do? Or will it be pain based?

HM - well, at least you won't have to deal with the daily drama, wondering will he or won't he show up today. Hopefully you'll find a better pool of applicants this time.

Docket_Rocket

Hi stlth.rnr - pool running can be helpful, especially with back or knee issues. Nice job on the daily 10,000 steps

D - I hope you are able to get help for your sore tooth/sinus. I assume the 15 is if you don't see a doctor today and the 6 is if you do? Or will it be pain based?

HM - well, at least you won't have to deal with the daily drama, wondering will he or won't he show up today. Hopefully you'll find a better pool of applicants this time.

On both.  Pain is OK so 15 was the plan for today anyway, but if that changes or the dentist says come in, I'll switch to the 6.

Hi, stealth!  Hoping the back pain gets better!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Howdy, Stealth!!  I don't run either, anymore, so you're in good company!  My knees just decided it was not worth it, so now I park a bit away from work and bike (three-wheeling, yay) to and from work.  Plus the singing, of course.

Ignoring pain maybe isn't the greatest plan, though, if it won't go away.  Any ideas from your doc, or a physical therapist (chiropractor, massage therapist)?