Beginners and Beyond

Valparaiso Valentine 5K RR (Read 78 times)

Zelanie

Sounds like you ran a great race, and paced it like a wizard!

You set the bar high, but I will be coming for you on Feb. 23rd!  My goal is now to beat your time or blow up trying!  My course sounds flatter, but is all bark chips, so I don't know what that will do to pacing.

How did your fiancee and your friend do?

Luke79

Grats on sub 25!  Very cool...that's my next 5k goal as well.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Zel - P3 beat her PR by about 40 seconds.  My new friend didn't get his sub-30, or a PR, but had a great time.  The wind, hills and rain probably played a roll in the finish time.  I guess that he's kind of like me.  If he starts out slow, he has trouble picking up the pace.  I think if he'd have gone out faster, he could have maintained it.  He'll get there though.  He's putting in the training.

Luke - With your current PR, I don't have any doubt that you'll get it soon.  I have to admit that it's a pretty cool feeling.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Congrats Awood!  I ran that race a few years ago with temsp about 30*F colder and much more wind.  It wasn't fun and you are right, that course is hell on a Garmin.  The hill you are thinking of in mile 2 is what I call Harrison Hollow.  Seems that a lot of the Valpo races go through that area.

Let me know next time you come to Valpo to race I will see about stopping by to say hi unless I am there to race as well.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Congrats Awood!  I ran that race a few years ago with temsp about 30*F colder and much more wind.  It wasn't fun and you are right, that course is hell on a Garmin.  The hill you are thinking of in mile 2 is what I call Harrison Hollow.  Seems that a lot of the Valpo races go through that area.

Let me know next time you come to Valpo to race I will see about stopping by to say hi unless I am there to race as well.

Years ago I went and watched my brother race the Popcorn Panic.  I really want to go back and run that one.  Isn't that one of your annual races?  There's nothing like a race and a beer!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

Yeah it was my first race in 2006 and I have been back every year since.  It will be again this September, you should come and race it.

It's billed as a 5 mile race but every year my garmin registers like 4.95 miles.  The race has been around since the late 70s so I wonder if it carries a USATF cert or not.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

If I somehow forget, remind me.  I just remember thinking that it was a pretty cool atmosphere.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Once I found a pace that felt "too fast", that's where I tried to settle in.  I just kept telling myself that this uncomfortable pace was my new reality...deal with it.  That actually helped.

Welcome to the world of 5K racing and pacing! Those sentences describe it in a nutshell!

Awesome job on the race! Also, very nice, well written RR!

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Woohoo!!!! Congrats for getting your goal, pacing liken a wizard, qualifying for the championships, and rocking that hill!!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

GinnyinPA

Congratulations!  Especially given the rain, the cold and the hills, you did well.

Antipodean

Great race and congrats on the 5th place award.

I've been trying to break 25 mins for a while and I'll get another chance this Sunday.

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Bin Running

Awood, Congrats! You nailed your goal.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

SheCan

Great job!  I felt my heart racing as I read it.  You must be some fierce competition.   Congratulations!

And you & your wife are still the cutest couple!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Gee, Awood, time to change your avatar...that guy in the photo you posted doesn't look anything at all like your avatar photo!

Congrats on a great 5K for you and beating your 25 min goal, way to go!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Thanks for all of the kind words.  I was just thinking about my next 5K already today, and then it dawned on me.  I had planned to only race 5K's in the spring this year, and I only had one 5K goal.  I wanted to get down to 25 minutes.  It's still winter, and I have that.

My next race is a HM in March.  Then, I'm going to start getting ready for my first marathon in November.  Any races in between were supposed to be longer races with one exception, and that's the Inaugural Championship that I mentioned earlier that is in late October.  Being that it will be made up of the top AG and overall finishers from 14 races, I have a feeling I won't have to worry about getting around anybody at the starting line.

If I've learned anything from running though, it's that I can't plan every race.  Sometimes after a couple months of consistent training, you just have to find one.  That's how this one came to be.

Anyway, you guys have been inspiring me from the time I started running.  You've helped me get past those bad runs, inspired me to try things that I'd never imagined I would do, talked sense into me when I was in a little bit over my head and given a lot of food for thought.  So, thank you guys.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost