Beginners and Beyond

Summer SaturDAILIES Are winding down (Read 43 times)

LRB

CoolWELCOME TO THE DAILIES THREAD!Cool

Anyone and everyone can post your runs, cross-training, abdominal work, rest days, race plans, training questions, etc.. The only stupid question is the one you did not post. There’s a great mix of beginners and veterans, runners and walkers, and maniacs and returners, from injury to running. We're all a little crazy here, too! While this thread is a terrific source of motivation for runners and serves as outstanding accountability, you’ll quickly find this remarkable group to be highly supportive of all life experiences. So, come on in, put your feet up, and stay a while (not literally)! And whoever is up first is welcome to start the thread and we definitely keep some weird hours here

LRB

It is hard to believe but only one week remains in August.  Next weekend is the holiday weekend (four days off for me) then all hell breaks loose for morning runners the the following Tuesday as school will be back with them crazy ass drivers!

As for today, I am up at this unholy hour to meet with my running clique.  Most if not all of them are running easy, which I will join them for a bit until I warm up, then I will run ahead for a tempo workout.

See ya!

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Yo LRB. What's shakin?  Have a good run. I'm off to run myself.

Marjorie

MothAudio

Good morning runners! Friday: 9 miles 1:22:40 - 9:11 avg. pace - recovery / easy A.M. / XT P.M. Encouraging - leg strength appears to be coming come back and recovery pace is almost a minute per mile faster than pre-stroke. Had every intention to get in a short recovery jog but was distracted by the pre-season football game. Yesterday was a good day as I didn't feel any side effects of the statin meds. Since I got a late start yesterday I'll take advantage of not playing taxi driver and get out at sunrise. Enjoy the weekend and make it a great day!

midwestern nights dream

XT

• single leg reverse leg press 2 sets 15x90lbs w/5:00 recovery *
          • single leg leg extension *
          • hip abduction
          • fast feet
          • pawing
          • calf raises - unweighted
          • Butt kicks
          • A skips
          • Inverted bicycles
          • squat jumps
          • Leg swings

* testing affected leg for strength

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Morning, Dailies, and Happy Saturday!

I'm doing my morning coffee routine, which will be followed shortly by a small breakfast. Then it's out into the humid world for a long run.

That's the plan, anyway...

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

delicate flower

Hiya kiddos!  LRB, Marjorie, Tom....enjoy your runs and whatever other trouble you can get yourselves into.

Nice to hear you're feeling better, Moth!

DW and I have errands to run and chores to do today.  I'd like to get in a short jog if I can...3-4 real easy miles.  We've got a 10K tomorrow.  I'm anxious to see how big a PR I can set.  Is 5 minutes possible?  We'll find out.

<3

MothAudio

Good morning runners! Friday: 9 miles 1:22:40 - 9:11 avg. pace - recovery / easy A.M. / XT P.M. Encouraging - leg strength appears to be coming come back and recovery pace is almost a minute per mile faster than pre-stroke. Had every intention to get in a short recovery jog but was distracted by the pre-season football game. Yesterday was a good day as I didn't feel any side effects of the statin meds. Since I got a late start yesterday I'll take advantage of not playing taxi driver and get out at sunrise. Enjoy the weekend and make it a great day!

midwestern nights dream

XT

• single leg reverse leg press 2 sets 15x90lbs w/5:00 recovery *
                • single leg leg extension *
                • hip abduction
                • fast feet
                • pawing
                • calf raises - unweighted
                • Butt kicks
                • A skips
                • Inverted bicycles
                • squat jumps
                • Leg swings

* testing affected leg for strength

10 miles 1:27:50 - 8:47 avg. pace - easy > moderate + hill sprints. Last mile / fast mile.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Morning dailies.

I went out for my self-timed 5k this morning. It's been over 5 months since I ran my last one. My previous PR was 24:50. Since that time I've finished a HM training program, and half of a FM training program. I haven't had any specific 5k training lately. I believe a self-timed run is a fantastic time to try some new things. Today I tried downing a Gu before I headed out the door, and then I opted for a 2 mile 9mm warm-up jog. I wrapped up the 2 miles with a few strides.

The weather wasn't overly favorable, even at 7 AM: 73 degrees, sunny, 100% humidity. My goal was to stick a 7mm for as long as I could. I set the Garmin and I was off! The Garmin immediately showed a 5:45 pace, so I slowed. I settled in at a 6:50 pace. I was cruising along but I could already tell my body wasn't on board with the speed. I held that pace for the first mile and clocked in at 6:48. I definitely knew that I needed to slow so I slowed to about a 7:30. I started playing mind-games with myself after that, because once you start slowing it's hard to speed back up. I was able to finish the 2nd mile at 7:31. I just kept on the current pace for the last 1.1, and tried to hold it together. I was finding little excuses to slow here and there like: Go slow around that corner - don't want to hurt yourself. Even though it may be true, I probably didn't need to slow as much as I did. I was feeling beat. I was able to hold it somewhat together until the end and I clocked in a 7:39 final mile. I poured everything on the last 0.1 and I clocked in a 7:01 pace. Overall time came in for the 5k was 22:52. 2 seconds short of shaving 2 minutes off of my previous PR. I don't know if I'll actually count this as a PR, but since it was satellite timed, I might.

Have a great Saturday everyone!

- Andrew

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  8 miles tonight.

LRB, I also cannot believe the year is going this fast.

Marjorie, enjoy the run.  No puppy pool today?

Moth, enjoy the XT.

Tom, enjoy the shortly.

Phil, hope you get a short run and good luck tomorrow!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Docket_Rocket

Awesome improvement.  Congratulations.

Morning dailies.

I went out for my self-timed 5k this morning. It's been over 5 months since I ran my last one. My previous PR was 24:50. Since that time I've finished a HM training program, and half of a FM training program. I haven't had any specific 5k training lately. I believe a self-timed run is a fantastic time to try some new things. Today I tried downing a Gu before I headed out the door, and then I opted for a 2 mile 9mm warm-up jog. I wrapped up the 2 miles with a few strides.

The weather wasn't overly favorable, even at 7 AM: 73 degrees, sunny, 100% humidity. My goal was to stick a 7mm for as long as I could. I set the Garmin and I was off! The Garmin immediately showed a 5:45 pace, so I slowed. I settled in at a 6:50 pace. I was cruising along but I could already tell my body wasn't on board with the speed. I held that pace for the first mile and clocked in at 6:48. I definitely knew that I needed to slow so I slowed to about a 7:30. I started playing mind-games with myself after that, because once you start slowing it's hard to speed back up. I was able to finish the 2nd mile at 7:31. I just kept on the current pace for the last 1.1, and tried to hold it together. I was finding little excuses to slow here and there like: Go slow around that corner - don't want to hurt yourself. Even though it may be true, I probably didn't need to slow as much as I did. I was feeling beat. I was able to hold it somewhat together until the end and I clocked in a 7:39 final mile. I poured everything on the last 0.1 and I clocked in a 7:01 pace. Overall time came in for the 5k was 22:52. 2 seconds short of shaving 2 minutes off of my previous PR. I don't know if I'll actually count this as a PR, but since it was satellite timed, I might.

Have a great Saturday everyone!

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

10.6 miles in the rain. Now puppy pool

Marjorie

LRB

Good morning runners! 

Mikey Mike!  Cool

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

Yes D. We are at the puppy pool now.

Marjorie

LRB

My workout is complete!

I had been thinking about this stupid thing all frickin' week, even dreaming last night that me and SIAR ran it, lol!

It is not the workout as written, as running 17 to 19 miles total did not appeal to me in the least, so I took out some of the easy miles.

2.16 mile warmup: 9:10 pace
                              1.5 miles @ tempo: 6:57

3 min recovery

1.5 miles @ tempo: 7:02

3 minute recovery
                              2.71 miles easy:  8:37
                              3 miles @ tempo: 7:05

I made the decision way back in February that I would not stress over my target pace during speed work, focusing instead on completing each interval.  We cannot control how our bodies feel during any given workout, so pushing for something that is not there is not something that I want to do.

I never hit my target pace today but I feel really good about the workout as a whole.  Those last three miles @ 7:05 were really a test of mettle, and though I came up short on pace, I sure as hell showed mettle!

All in all I got in 12 miles total, and I am one happy boy!

Jess runs for bacon

Howdy dailies! Went out for two easy this AM since I have a half tomorrow. It was with Bart Yasso and the RW editors. Now I am working the expo for the half. I'm starting to get nervous, everyone keeps saying this is one of the hardest halfs in the area (super hilly). I think I may walk up the hills so I don't die.