Beginners and Beyond

Where is the triathlon forum? (Read 332 times)

sirdizzy

Yea I think next year sometime I will want to get a tri bike, but right now I have no room for it.  For Christmas we asked for a bike shed so we can put the bikes in it on the back patio (my wife has her mountain bike I bought for her birthday too) and a bike trailer so we can take the kid for rides.  I am sure the inlaws will hook us up with one of the two and after that we will get the second one in January those were the bike purchases right now we were doing (I also ordered some new tires for my bike as I have worn out one with the 1200 miles I have done the last 6 months). 

But I love tri's and that has become my main focus of late, I'll likely still do STG marathon again next October but I found I really don't look forward to marathons like I do a triathlon.  I love halves though, doing the bakers dozen next week (it was the Hostess last year, this is where you gotta eat sugary treats every aid station to get your medal last year it was twinkies this year I think its lots of cookies), and then the Mayan end of days run the next week my very first every trail race its 12.21 miles for the Mayan calendar haha.  I have also volunteered and am signed up to be a pacer for the 2 hour group for the STG half in January it will be my first pacing experience.  So my first race that I plan on racing (going to just have fun at Bakers Dozen and Mayan and I am pacing STG) will be in February with the Dogtown half.  I wish there was more triathlons in the Winter but they are mostly spring and fall events so I am in the offseason there and just training.

notimeforthat

There's a local series near my house that runs on Tuesday nights through the summer.  The best part is the bike is OFF ROAD so I really think I could tear it up!

Maybe we can both go shopping for tri bikes Wink

You should look into the XTERRA series then. Swim, mtn bike and trail runs. Fun stuff.

Fit is absolutely #1.

I will say that my road bike quite a bit lighter than my time trial bike. The rationale behind that is that aerodynamics take precedence on TT bikes, roadies are made for climbing.

I have used my road bike in hillier tris and still done well, however, if you are going to look at a TT bike and plan to do hillier courses make sure you look for a compact and not a double crankset. You will be geared better for that.

Another suggestion is to check out the classifieds on Slowtwitch and Ebay. If you know your size of frame then you can really actually find good deals on there and avoid the sticker shock.

I have a family, so I stick with intermediate distance tris. No desire to ever run another marathon, so no IM in my future. I like the challenge of trying to bust it out faster with each race. It hurts like nothing I have ever done, but it is so much fun!

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

I have used my road bike in hillier tris and still done well, however, if you are going to look at a TT bike and plan to do hillier courses make sure you look for a compact and not a double crankset. You will be geared better for that.

Excellent point.  The tris I've done were hilly - and I kicked ass Wink

hhhmmmmm xterra......

Chairman

It's on the third floor. By the swimming pool. 

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey