Beginners and Beyond

Race Report - Avenue of the Giants Marathon with pictures in living color! (Read 84 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Who: Jack and Doris Klompus

What: Avenue of the Giants Marathon

Why: we both wanted to try for a BQ and we have always loved the area

When: May 3, 2015

Where: Weott, CA

Short version:

Time: 4:02:53 9:16 avg. pace

AG: 19/34

Men: 127/262

OA: 178/508

Longer version:

Since I started running a few years ago I have wanted to run this race, either the HM or marathon. We have driven through here many times on our way to or from Seattle and have always loved it; the weather, the scenery, the peace and quiet, and of course, the trees. I signed wife and me up about seven months ago and also booked our room (more on that later).

Training: I had had success with the Pfitz 18/55 plan before so why not use it again? I ran a HM a week or two before training was starting and got a 1:37:03. I felt I was ready to train for a 3:20-3:23 marathon, maybe faster if things went well. Alas, things did not go well. Without boring you, three things went wrong.

1. I have had THE WORST year ever at work. It was hard coming home from work mentally exhausted every day. I was rarely in the mood to run. It was very difficult to get in a groove with training because I just couldn’t find that groove.
    2. A few weeks into training I had some tendonitis in my right ankle. It is mostly gone but I still feel in sometimes when I am on a sloped surface and my ankle is turned in. Also, eight weeks out from the marathon, I ran a very hilly HM. There was one very steep downhill that was about four miles and it completely wrecked me. That is when my knee pain started.
    3. My mom was diagnosed with cancer a few weeks after that.  So yeah, training was hard. 

Basically, life was getting in the way of training. These things happen and I can now truly appreciate what a good training cycle is. It takes a lot of hard work and a little luck. In a nutshell, I had an awful cycle. I had no 20 mile runs (the Pfitz plan calls for three) and only on 18 mile run. A few weeks ago I ran 13 miles and it was hard. I'm not making excuses, that's just what life brings us sometimes.

Race prep: If you ever sign up for this race, PLAN EARLY. I booked the closest place to the race, about four miles away and it was great. It was called the Redcrest Resort. They were little cottages that had kitchens and a bedroom (and old, paper thin walls). The closet store is ten miles away so wife and I did some shopping and did our own cooking in the room. We also flew to San Francisco and rented a car for the four-hour drive north. I recommend that place. It was snuggled in the redwood trees and was nice and quiet, save the neighbors we had for one night.

On Friday before the race we did a little 2 mile jog and a few strides. I had known for some time that my BQ attempt was out the window but I still wanted to run something, maybe the HM. I didn’t know if I could run 26.2 miles. As we know, that is a long freakin’ way. At the packet pickup on Saturday I decided to run the marathon knowing that I would have to walk part of it. No big deal, I wanted to see the entire course. DW was still going for her BQ of 3:55. After the packet pickup we drove the course, all of it, got out of the car about five times to walk some trails and get some pictures, and then we went back to the room to relax for the night.

These are from Saturday after the packet pickup.

This was on the second half of the course.

Race day: Because the race started at 7:45 and we were only four miles away, we stayed in bed until 6:30, ate a Clif bar for breakfast, had some of those beans, and sipped some Gatorade. For the race I brought three GUs and no water. The morning was overcast with the temperature at about 49. When we finished it was clear and sunny and about 60. Perfect.

The course is a double out and back. For the first few miles the road was very narrow. I’m sure the leaders didn’t have trouble but we started in the back third of the 500 or so runners and it was crowded. Also, the road had a lot of small potholes and was very chewed up in many places. After a few miles the crowd thinned and DW and I were cruising. Her goal was to be between 8:50 and 8:55 or so and I thought I would try to stay with her for as long as I could. I think we were pretty consistent until the end. This part of the course went along Bull Creek and it was great. We all see trees every day but not like these. They are tall, regal, majestic, just awesome things. I got the impression that most people who run this race do it just for the scenery and fun because for the first hour or so, the only sounds you could hear was footsteps and some breathing. There was no traffic, cheering, music, or chatting. I think it was because people were just in awe of the trees.

After mile 3, our Garmins were already off by more than .1 of a mile. After the turnaround and on our way back to the start I took my first Gu and people were talking and chatting. We fell in step with a guy who was nice but he would not stop talking. He had to comment on everything, he told us about his watch, his past races, his wife, everything. After a while, DW stopped talking and I replied with “Mmm-hmm,” “Yeah,” “Interesting,” or “Exactly.” As far as my running, I was feeling good, keeping it around an 8:50 pace, give or take some seconds.   At mile 11 I started to feel some pain in my glutes and knee but no big deal. For no apparent reason it hurt more at mile 12 and I was considering stopping at 13.1 miles. However, the Humboldt State band and crowd support had other ideas. The band was playing back at the start and there were many people cheering. This gave me a boost and I kept on going.

Mile 13.2 to the end: The second out and back was pure awesomeness. The giant redwoods were… giant. Some are over 300 feet tall. For miles it was like running in a green tunnel. I was in heaven. There was no crowd support except for the aid stations. Also, there was a campground and a few of the campers were there clapping and a few little kids were riding their bikes along with us. Some of the campers said “They’re crazy. 26 miles.” I had heard that this part of the course was flat but there were some small hills. Nothing big, just small slopes.

Now at mile 15 I was starting to hurt some. Mostly glute and lower back pain, but my breathing was fine. My legs were starting to hurt, but I was not tired. Funny how that works. I guess it’s because I have a good mileage base built up? I don’t know.

At mile 18 I was in some moderate pain. Still, though, my breathing was fine. I was not huffing, puffing, or gasping for air, but my legs were hurting. I was feeling my knee but it didn’t “hurt.” This is when I found the chatting guy again. He was walking and I was jogging. He saw me pass him and he started running again. Somewhere in here I had Gu #3, salted watermelon. This guy was still talking but all his comments were negative. “This course isn’t flat!” “Look at this hill!” Blah, blah, blah… If anything, his incessant chatter made me focus. I just didn’t want to listen to him. At this point I seriously have no clue what I was thinking, I just kept going. I was jogging with a very short stride so I tried to lengthen it a bit to go a little faster. It worked off and on for a little while and at mile 22 I had to take my first walking break. My legs were done I just wanted it to be over.

Now I was looking at my watch and was waiting for DW to pass me. She would have to push it to get her BQ. It was strange, but I couldn’t summon the energy to turn around and look for her. There were several times I thought I heard her breathing and/or her Garmin beep on the miles but as I found out later, it wasn’t her. Then I thought maybe she had passed me and I didn’t realize it so I ran some more. Then I walked a bit, and ran some more. Now I was pushing hard to get a sub 4:00 and I was in PAIN! Oh man, it hurt. There is a small hill on mile 25 but it felt like Mt. Everest and I had to walk. At the top I ran to the finish with a time of 4:02:53. I really wanted that sub 4:00 but I was happy! I was pretty much hobbling after crossing the finish and a volunteer asked if I was ok. “I’m fine, but my legs hurt,” I said.

I didn’t see wife until six minutes later when she finished.   She was tired and sad. After coming within 16 and 8 seconds of a BQ in her last two marathons, she wanted this one, but it wasn’t to be. She told me she blew up at mile 21 with bad cramps in her left calf. She had a hard time getting that foot off the ground she was cramping so bad. She over it now (it took about 20 minutes) and it’s all good.

After getting cleaned up we drove to the only Mexican restaurant in a town called Scotia about 12 miles away. We each got a massive chicken burrito, ate the whole thing, and went back to the room to drink a few cold ones and sit on the porch. We were both walking like Frankenstein. “Fire good!” What a sight we were.

We packed up, spent one more night there and drove to San Francisco in the morning for the flight home.

Last bits: With my rubbish training I had no idea I would finish in 4:02 so I was very, very, happy with it even though my original BQ effort goal was long gone. We met many people at this race from all over the country and Canada. If you do this race, and I hope you do, get a room ASAP!

The course was great except for the first part where the road was potholed and chewed up. The volunteers were great, nice, and friendly. Many of the aid stations were manned by Boy Scouts and local kids and they were always clear with what they had. “Water white cups Gatorade green cups!” Nice shirt and nice medal and you cannot beat the scenery. If you have any questions about it, let me know. There is a lot to tell and I have already written too much. If you read that whole thing, you win a prize. I didn't mean to write that much, really.

Thanks for reading.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

I read the whole thing........(thunk)

Well done!  I was feeling your pain!  Yes,life very much gets in the way sometimes but you're doing the right thing by maintaining a good base.  I've found that keeps me in the game enough to bring me enjoyment and reward and I remind myself it is VERY GOOD FOR MENTAL HEALTH!!!  And that is worth it's weight in gold!

Very sorry to hear about your mom.  Cancer is the devil and aging is no friend either.  As I've said before I always feel like the old!er we get,the more the usual suspects are lobbying to compromise our quality of life so I fight back with as much zeal as I can.

As for that course, it looks absolutely beautiful!  I have no desire to run a full but if I did, that would be a bucket list item, for sure.

Watch those injuries!

Randy

delicate flower

Good race after a really tough cycle.  Crossing the finish line of a marathon always makes for a good day.  Sounds like a really cool race and course.  Sorry I couldn't be there with you, Klompus.  Now where's my prize?

<3

Brilliant

Well you made me want to run this one, which is the sign of a great RR!

I'm glad DW got over her disappointment quickly.  She has been so close; I'm sure she's got a BQ in her one day.  And you did great considering all you went through in your training cycle!

GinnyinPA

Thanks for the Race report.  It does sound like one I'd like to do.  I hope you both have a better training cycle for your next one.

Docket_Rocket

Congrats!  Great RR and pics.  I really want to do that race one day.  Thanks for sharing.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

bluerun

Super B****

Next time, you should read my book (that I haven't yet written)... How to Run a Marathon on a Single 18-Mile Long Run. 

Seriously, though -- that elevation profile looks a little unfriendly, but you did an awesome job of it given the circumstances.

And I'm sorry about your mom -- cancer is a bitch.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

This race is on my "to do" list.  The redwoods are simply stunning.

You people have issues 

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Wow!  What a beautiful race :-)  I really enjoyed your race report as well =D

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Hip Redux

Nice work!  The redwoods are amazing.  We had some friends who did this race as well and raved about it.

So sorry to hear about your mom Sad

outoftheblue

Given everything you have dealt with, you ran a great race.  I really enjoyed your description of the course.  I've camped and driven through this area many times.  The trees truly are breathtaking.  I have to put this one on my bucket list.

That negative, chatty guy sounds really annoying.  Way to find the dark lining in a silver cloud, dude.

Life is good.

Brilliant

Next time, you should read my book (that I haven't yet written)... How to Run a Marathon on a Single 18-Mile Long Run. 

hey, you stole my idea...!

hog4life

Jack, with all that's going on in your lives, you both did fantastic. That sounds like the "best" you could've do e under the circumstances.  The trees are huge! Love.the pics.

I hate cancer and am sorry to hear that about your mom. How is she doing ?

Cool report, Jack.  That place looks amazing.

Sorry to hear about your mom, thoughts and prayers sent.

I'm glad you had a good time, even with Mrs. K missing her BQ and your training not going as planned.

Ric-G

jack, sorry to hear about your mom, hoping for the best...great pics and scenery...sounds like it went ok even with the training disappointment...be strong and good luck next time to you and your wife!

marathon pr - 3:16