Beginners and Beyond

What's on your "I'm too old for this" list? (Read 159 times)

SheCan

Oh!  I got another.   A few months ago, I went to a bachelorette party for somone who is younger by like 10 years.  It was mostly her friends and me... it was at some bar, loud music, dark and they arrived having already BEEN to a bar so they were blitzed.   I spent the dinner having a "yelling" conversation, with my ears pounding from the music and yelling, and the food was meh and the drunk girl next to me kept talking with her hands and accidently throwing french fries at me.   I left as soon as the dinner part was over and they continued on bar hopping.

There was a time where I did that almost every weekend.   I am way too old for that shit now!

Apparently my signature should read "get off my lawn"...

Hahaha!!!!  LOL, love that story!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Antipodean

I'm also too old to get drunk, too old for late night parties, too old for spiky heels, too old for bold makeup, too old for using new expressions, too old for most new technology, too old for Twitter and Facebook. And most importantly, I'm too old to not say what's on my mind. I've earned the right to give my opinion, whether people like it or not.

I'm with Happylily.

I agree with most of ya, actually. But I did surprise myself on the school camp I just got back from. I am apparently not too old to get a decent night's sleep in a tent, not too old to hike and keep up (or pass!) a bunch of 11 & 12 year olds, and not too old to win a rafting race along with 6 kids. Had a fabulous time despite being on the job basically 24 hours for 4 days!

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I'm too old to put up with a high stress, full-time job. I'll enjoy my part-time fun job and spend my free time running, reading, and what ever else I want to do.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

hog4life

I'm too old to get drunk and wake up with a hangover. It is the worse feeling Tight lips

LRB

I was reminded of this one while sitting in the comfort of my own vehicle at a traffic light tonight; I am too old for secondhand smoke.

Being an ex-smoker, it actually did not bother me for the longest time, but I am finding the older I get, the worse that shit smells!  And you know it's bad when you can smell it from another car while driving in your own.

happylily

I

I agree with most of ya, actually. But I did surprise myself on the school camp I just got back from. I am apparently not too old to get a decent night's sleep in a tent, not too old to hike and keep up (or pass!) a bunch of 11 & 12 year olds, and not too old to win a rafting race along with 6 kids. Had a fabulous time despite being on the job basically 24 hours for 4 days!

Julie, that's because you are NOT old. Of course you had a fabulous time, you're that cool young teacher! This thread is for us, old geezers. Get out of here! Big grin Actually, half the people who posted here so far, including the OP, shouldn't even be in here. Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

I am too old to sleep only 1-2 hours a day.  I used to work for 8-10 hours, party for 6 more, and sleep for 2-3 hours at most.  Now, if I try to do that, I would pass out on my desk by 8am.  Ha.

I am also too old to be lifting my legs atop a fence.  Damn that shit hurt when I tried it at MCM (to exit early).

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

PADRunner

Staying up past 10 sleeping past 6.

Working 12 hr days.

Pretty much all of the above.

I can't think of much, but I am enjoying being a responsible adult.  Unfortunately not everyone in my life feels the same way.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Mostly hard physical stuff......football, wrestling, gymnastics.  Even in basketball (which I still play) I try to avoid the "driving to the hoop with wreckless abandon" and "taking the charge" for the same.  I'll still be physical but the collisions & such are a no-go.

Heck, I even notice that I am MUCH more fearful of falling than I used to.  Skateboarding....rollerblading/skating.....even bicycling.  20 years ago it's a no-brainer, go all out heck, even dive & slide if you're on a skate rink.  But today, it's STAY UP AT ALL COSTS and DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES....FALL!!!

Randy

Antipodean

Thanks, Julie, but at 45 I was the second oldest (by 15 years) of the 8 teachers at camp. However, I felt I could easily keep up with the younger ones, none of whom are runners. Having run my first half this year I am fitter than I have been at the previous three camps I've attended and I really noticed that in the rafting - no calf cramps this year and when we got out of the lake I felt like I could have done it again if I had too.

Heck, I even notice that I am MUCH more fearful of falling than I used to. 

THAT is true! At camp we had to descend a steep slope, slippery with pine needles, and the kids could race down with no fear. Me, I was cautiously taking small steps and hoping no one saw my trembling limbs!

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Hip Redux

I am also too old to be lifting my legs atop a fence.  Damn that shit hurt when I tried it at MCM (to exit early).

I had to scale a smallish fence recently.   It was.....awkward.   I almost didn't make it over lol  That certainly made me feel old.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Mostly hard physical stuff......football, wrestling, gymnastics.  Even in basketball (which I still play) I try to avoid the "driving to the hoop with wreckless abandon" and "taking the charge" for the same.  I'll still be physical but the collisions & such are a no-go.

Heck, I even notice that I am MUCH more fearful of falling than I used to.  Skateboarding....rollerblading/skating.....even bicycling.  20 years ago it's a no-brainer, go all out heck, even dive & slide if you're on a skate rink.  But today, it's STAY UP AT ALL COSTS and DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES....FALL!!!

You could probably still handle a figure four leg lock or atomic knee drop.

Mmmmm...beer

I can still party, but not two nights in a row anymore.

Definitely too old to care what anyone thinks about me.

Pretty much everything else, I'm still good to go.  But then again, I'm not old, don't turn 40 till next Sept. Big grin

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

You could probably still handle a figure four leg lock or atomic knee drop.

The thought of both of those make my knee hurt!  Wink

And while a "camel clutch" would probably not make my knee happy, I probably could still dish out a plenty effective "cobra clutch" Cool

Randy