Beginners and Beyond

The Penguin's monDAILY (Read 26 times)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Pens !!!

Gym for me and probably a 3 miler after that.  Then I'll take a nap so I don't sleep through Game 6.

Have a fantastic week.

PADRunner

Morning, 5 more this morning. Supposed to be 10 today but I have to g  in to work.

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have 8 miles with strides tonight.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I moved my alarm back yet another 15 minutes, so now I'm getting up at 5:15 to do all my PT exercises.  I'll be interested to see how zombie-like I am by the end of the week!  The funniest part today was when I threw my tennis ball at my rebounder, completely missed, and bounced it all the way down the stairs.  DH couldn't quit snickering.
            So aim is not one of my hidden talents, going back to the weekend discussion.  I can sing, so I'll sing you all to sleep at night.

Jerryb -- Enjoy the gym, the 3 miles, and the game!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 5!!

Docket -- enjoy your 8 and strides!!

Lauren, I read about your kitty.  Many hugs to you!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

3.6 very slow this morning. It is more distance than all of last week. It was mostly okay but I coughed up a lung around mile 2 Smile DH ran the first 1.1 of it with me and then headed home. Baby steps for him I suppose.

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Morning!  Today is my fist day off for summer!  Except I have to go in to a training tomorrow, boo!  Still, I'm hoping to make the most of today by getting a run and a hike in, and a bunch of other stuff done.  We will see.

Jerry- Have a nice run.  PS- the game 6 that matters isn't until tomorrow. 

PAD- Hope work goes smoothly.

HsM- Glad you've got a good routine for those PT exercises!

D- Enjoy the run later!

sapf- Glad you're starting to feel better.  BTW, my friend who passed out in a race last year just finished a marathon this year.  So it really can just be a one-time fluke thing.  Good that DH got a clean bill of health.

From the Internet.

I've been wearing my Wave Riders a ton lately and really liking them - I have 72 miles on them so far, speedwork and 2 long runs, and the extra 2mm of drop has been great for my Achilles. Poked my head into RunningWarehouse on a whim last night and again right now, and they magically had a return in my size of the same pair I bought sometime between then and now. Gift card plus discount code = backup shoes for $17.80! Frugal shoe purchases are my favorite shoe purchases.

No running today, but taking off for the gym in a minute. Getting back into a normal routine, work, gym, run, basic house chores... I cried more today than I did yesterday, it feels unfair that I have to try to be normal with such a big hole in my life, but at the same time it's nice to be out of the house and among other people without spending every minute feeling guilty that I'm not at home with my sweetpea.

GinnyinPA

Jerry - have a good run.  Game 6 of what?

PAD - sorry your run got cut short.

DR - have a good 8 this evening.

HopesMom - I hope you can keep up the early PT.  I don't function at all well early in the morning.

sapf - I'm glad you're starting to feel a little better.  How does DH feel?

Z - happy vacation!  Enjoy your freedom to run and hike and play.

Lauren - nice buy!  Whenever I get a notice about a sale, it seems they never ever have one I'm interested in in my size.  I'm trying something new this week (Asics Cumulus) because I like Asics and for once the sale included my size. I'm glad you are starting to get life back to a more normal routine.  You'll still miss her at odd times, but it does get better.

AFM:  Incredibly humid here (DP between 72 and 78 this afternoon) thanks to thunderstorms that lasted all night and are expected to return in a little while.  Last night's rain started while we were walking the dog after returning from a family birthday party in Maryland.  It was a long day and then we couldn't sleep because of being wired from birthday cake and the long drive.  I'll do some miles this afternoon, but I don't know whether it will be 6 or 12 or something in between.

SheCan

Hi everyone!  I just wanted to jump in and say "hey" to everyone!   So cool that most of you are still around and running more than ever.

Lauren sorry about your poor cat.  Its so hard to lose someone we care about.  Sad

I guess everyone knows about Rob Chadwick's passing in May?  He was on my miles team, and had been battling cancer for about a year before his passing.  It was so sad, but his family and friends put up a lot tributes to him.   Its interesting to me how the people in the running community (even our virtual ones)  come to mean so much to one another.     I guess it reminded me, that perhaps I should check in!

As far as running, I'm still chugging away!  LOL, never anything grand or fast, but I still like to hit the road most mornings.  Today I got in 8.  I did a marathon about a month & 1/2 ago, and am signed up for La Luz Trail race on Aug 2.  So y'all may not see me every day, but I'm here in spirit, and do still occasionally look in, and think about y'all.

Take care-- Cherie

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Zelanie

Cherie!  Glad to see you here!  We definitely miss you and your tales of badassery in the desert! Smile  Hope the family is well.

I hadn't heard about Rob- I don't think I've ever been on a team with him.  I do remember hearing about somebody who was very sick at the end of last year's game, but not sure if that's the same person.  It is very sad, though.  Glad that the community pulled together, though I wish it didn't take those kinds of circumstances.

From the Internet.

Hi everyone!  I just wanted to jump in and say "hey" to everyone!   So cool that most of you are still around and running more than ever.

Lauren sorry about your poor cat.  Its so hard to lose someone we care about.  Sad

I guess everyone knows about Rob Chadwick's passing in May?  He was on my miles team, and had been battling cancer for about a year before his passing.  It was so sad, but his family and friends put up a lot tributes to him.   Its interesting to me how the people in the running community (even our virtual ones)  come to mean so much to one another.     I guess it reminded me, that perhaps I should check in!

As far as running, I'm still chugging away!  LOL, never anything grand or fast, but I still like to hit the road most mornings.  Today I got in 8.  I did a marathon about a month & 1/2 ago, and am signed up for La Luz Trail race on Aug 2.  So y'all may not see me every day, but I'm here in spirit, and do still occasionally look in, and think about y'all.

Take care-- Cherie

HI! Funny you showed up today, I was just wondering how you were doing while I was out on the trails this weekend Smile Thanks for the condolences, I miss the heck out of her.

Sad to hear about Rob's passing, I don't know if I internet-knew him (was he on here or on RWOL?). I'll keep his family and friends in my thoughts.

Docket_Rocket

Hi, Cherie!  Long time no see!  Glad you are around.

Who was Rob?  I don't recall his user name and I had not heard about him.  Boo.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

hog4life

Cherie!!! Hi, I miss your posts, but so glad you checked in and glad to hear you are still "chugging" along.

I don't guess I heard or knew of Rob. Cancer sucks! My condolences to the family.

We are sitting in the cancer center waiting for them the drain a benign cyst that FIL has. He has some pain and this is the 1st and least evasive procedure to try and relieve some of his pain. There's not much they can do for his cancer except try to make him more comfortable.

SheCan

Who was Rob?  I don't recall his user name and I had not heard about him.  Boo.

Dangit, I keep trying to remember but I can't.  I've known him as Rob for years.  He was on my Happy Feet team.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson