Beginners and Beyond

Week 42 Penguins need a little adjustment!! (10/14-10/20) (Read 9 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is International Adjust Your Chair Day.  So make sure you're sitting pretty!!

Well, my Friday adventure was not over when I left on Friday.  When I got to my car in the parking deck, I discovered that someone had broken into it and rifled through it.  I say "broken into", but there was no damage to the car.  So, although it would be completely unlike me, I have to assume that I just left it unlocked.

I don't keep much in my car.  The thief got away with $8 I kept in my center console for toll roads or vending machine needs, and my charging cable.  They did not take my Sweet Adelines voice lesson CD (really?), nor did they get into the back and take my bike helmet (which really surprised me) or my umbrella.  And thankfully, my trike was safely at home.  The university police came and took pics and my name, but clearly do not plan to follow up or do anything that might lead to an actual arrest.  Which annoys me -- wouldn't you want evidence on file if you caught someone someday, to link them to other thefts?  And I'm sure there were fingerprints galore.  But what do I know, I'm not a cop, university or otherwise.  So clearly the moral of the story is don't work if you don't have to!!  I should've just driven straight home.

Anyway, had a nice weekend, replaced my charging cable (though not the $8), and didn't park in the deck today.  Darned deck.  Biking and yoga, check!

Oh, and the trike.  It's mostly fixed now -- doesn't shift up from 4 to 5, but everything else works.  It does shift up from 5-6 and down from 6-5, so whatever.  DH is still planning to make some fine-tune adjustments, but it's at least functional.  Woo-hoo!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Oh, I bet I need a new chair and the government is rushing to get me a new one.  LOL.  This one is almost on its last leg, pun intended.

I have 5 miles tonight.

HopesMom, ugh.  Glad they didn't take anything or damage the car.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I'm dragging just a little -- DH had a cold last week, and either I'm fighting it off or it's allergies.  I don't feel bad, but just a little off.  However, biking and yoga are both checked off my list, woo-hoo!!  And work isn't terribly busy right now, so that's nice too.

Have a lovely day, y'all!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning to you too!  I have 7 miles tonight.  Hubby was sick while we were in Chicago but so far, fortunate not to have gotten it. He is still coughing up a lung.  Grrr.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

GinnyinPA

D - I'm glad you avoided the cold after all. Enjoy your 5.

HM - I'm glad nothing was damaged and nothing valuable taken. Nice job on getting your biking and yoga done. Have they started advertising the tech job yet?

Our hiking gathering is over, the house guests are gone, and now I can finally get back to normal life, such as it is. I ran yesterday and plan to run this afternoon.

Singer who runs a smidge

The tech job is out there -- one candidate from before (I emailed her and asked her to apply again, if she wished), and another candidate that looks good, but didn't actually upload a resume.  I may contact him and ask for a resume.  Another candidate that looks ever so unqualified.

Biking, yoga, check.  I don't have much going on at work today, and nearly decided to bag it and work from home instead.  The lure of the bike ride tipped the balance.  Plus Sweet Adelines International Competition is going on for the next few days, and my internet at work for the webcast is better than my internet at home.  The sound is better at home though ... it was a tough decision! 

Docket_Rocket

Morning! Off to argue a giant objection that was authorized from way above, so nervous and hoping I don't fuck it up, lol.  BBL.

I have 8 with 10K mile intervals tonight.  I'll need it.  As well as martinis.

Ginny, glad you can finally get to normal.

HopesMom, was that the other candidate you considered as a finalist?  Hoping it works out this time!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Good luck, Docket!!

Yep, that was the other candidate I was considering from last time.  Not the one that wanted my job ...

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, all!!  Neither biking nor yoga today.  I had some minor chores that needed to get done this morning, so I did them during yoga time.  And I have both seminar this afternoon and chorus this evening, which nixes biking.  It's a pity, though, because today is Reading Day on campus (no classes as students prepare for midterms), and it's lovely outside with few people and little traffic.  I think it's Reading Day tomorrow too, though.  And I definitely remembered to lock my car in the parking deck today!!

Docket_Rocket

Morning!  I have Pilates (finally; she has been on vacation).  Working from home which complements the tough court day yesterday.

HopesMom, good luck with the candidates and have fun with all those chores!

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning!!  Biking done, but not yoga.  The aforementioned chores ... our chorus is putting up items for sale at a craft booth at a local fair in early November, and I said I would make different scents of glycerin soap.  Well, that date is fast approaching, so I'm needing to make soap like a fiend for a few days.  If I get a batch done tomorrow and another Sunday, I'll only have one more batch to make on Monday, and then I'll be out of soap base so I'll have to quit!

If they sell, money for the chorus.  If they don't, I won't have to make soap for myself for a long, long time. 

Tomorrow there's a make-up rehearsal for last Thursday, which was cancelled on account of the hurricane.  I've asked for Monday off, mostly because I still have 26 days of leave accrued and not too much going on in the lab, so why not?  Anyway, if it's approved, I won't be around on Monday.  So you'll have to survive three whole days without me!! 

Docket_Rocket

Ooh, a la Fight Club?  Enjoy the task!

I have Pilates and 7 tonight.  It is not my Friday off, boo hiss.

Damaris

Fundraising Page

Singer who runs a smidge

I thought about "working from home" today, but DH volunteers on Fridays, so he wouldn't be around to harass ... I mean ... spend time with.  So I decided to go legitimate, ask for the time off (which got approved, BTW), and make it Monday so DH can sleep in too.

GinnyinPA

HM - enjoy your long weekend.

D - have fun at Pilates and on your run.